just wondering who is behind bring this game back

so first off thanks for all your hard work in bring this game back and bring it back for free wow its great just like to know more about the company or group that's doing all this hard work for us

• Like 1

The TL;DR version

• In 2012, CoH was shut down by it's parent company NCsoft
  • Shortly thereafter, the rogue server came into being and was held a closely guarded secret with invite only access
  • Some years later, existence of the rogue server became common knowledge (to those that paid attention to news about CoH).
  • There was a lot of screaming and gnashing of teeth
  • CoH game/server code got leaked into the wild so the anyone and everyone could run their own rogue server. This would also make it difficult for NCsoft to squash since there were now numerous servers running.
  • Homecoming (HC) was one of the servers that was born of this. They then spent years working with NCsoft to legitimize their existence which finally happened this year.

The HC devs themselves as well as all the mods are volunteers that have worked countless hours to continue the unique world that is CoH.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Microphone 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Yeah. Be cautious about Reddit. There are some who consider HC - and SCoRE - and anyone associated with or even mentioning them to be baby-murdering puppy-kicking evil and will just attack you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

It's funny checking the post history of the butthurt Redditors. They always seem to act surprised every time a community bans them, wondering why no one sees them as being as wonderful as they claim to be. Reddit is full of comedy gold.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

Yeah. Be cautious about Reddit. There are some who consider HC - and SCoRE - and anyone associated with or even mentioning them to be baby-murdering puppy-kicking evil and will just attack you.

lil ol' me?

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

It's funny checking the post history of the butthurt Redditors. They always seem to act surprised every time a community bans them, wondering why no one sees them as being as wonderful as they claim to be. Reddit is full of comedy gold.

manufactured outrage is a virtual commodity worth more than bitcoin

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

Nice. I missed a whole bunch of that because I was busy trying to remember how to play the game.

MassivelyOP is very supportive of COH and tries to be neutral and supportive to the installs and successor efforts like city of titans and ship of heroes.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

lil ol' me?

No, no, you're baby or puppy *biting.*

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

16 hours ago, Snarky said:
17 hours ago, Greycat said:

I call those people Joanna

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Thanks for posting this!

It have me something to do for 8 boring hours at work 🙂

....SO many people tried over the years to get COH back.   I had a spreadsheet from about August 2012 through January 2019 where I tracked any article, forum post or interesting internet find about the shutdown, spiritual successors, coh lease/buy efforts, original devs popping up or just interesting things.  Then I was dumb and deleted it and 'moved on'.... There was about three efforts that sputtered out before Score happened.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

16 minutes ago, starro said:

....SO many people tried over the years to get COH back.   I had a spreadsheet from about August 2012 through January 2019 where I tracked any article, forum post or interesting internet find about the shutdown, spiritual successors, coh lease/buy efforts, original devs popping up or just interesting things.  Then I was dumb and deleted it and 'moved on'.... There was about three efforts that sputtered out before Score happened.

There's an entire PILE of spiritual successors. 😄

• Pizza (Pineapple) 1

On 6/15/2024 at 5:29 PM, Snarky said:

And it's so much easier to create too!! 

As for the original topic and the reddit-rage, I must admit that I really don't mind having joined the party a few years after it started. This allowed me to enjoy a mature, well developped server. And since then, the party and the alts just kept going!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, starro said:

Damn, I would have loved seeing that

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

Damn, I would have loved seeing that

It was my collection of broken links to the shut down coverage, spiritual successors, side projects (i.e. segs and paragon chat), former devs making an appearance online or AMA.    It was all broken link or stuff on Titan Forum that was all good stuff edited out.