Nothing good to slot into Energy Torrent

Vanden

I just can't find anything good to put into Energy Torrent on my Energy/Energy Blaster. Explosive Blast has the Overwhelming Force set, so I can't slot that. It still needs a KB-to-KD IO, so I only have five slots to work with. Positron's Blast sucks, and Frozen Blast is very expensive. I need the 6-slot set bonuses from the Blaster ATOs, so those have to go in other powers. And Ragnarok is both expensive, and would be very overslotted for damage; usually I'd skip the pure damage IO, but the proc would be counter-productive so I'd have to use it.

I dunno, is there something I'm not seeing? Am I just gonna have to settle for a set with bad set bonuses like Annihilation?

What about Javelin's Volley the PVP set? If you skip its damage proc you get about 66% accuracy, 90% damage, 61% endurance reduction, 86% recharge (all rounded up).

Set bonuses are 2% recovery, 10% regen, 2.5% damage buff, and 10% resistance to run & fly and recharge time being debuffed. At least that's what Pine's is telling me.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Ah the conundrums of the penniless spoiled rotten  ;D

Set your mind free from the set-bonus addiction and return to the old days of Frankenslotting! How about you slot in the Force Feedback +Rech proc; correct me if I'm wrong, but +100% recharge time for 5 sec is an equivalent of 8.33% global recharge...if you proc just once a minute and you should proc way more than that. For the rest, pick up IO's or Hammi-O's that fill out what you need but are lowish on recharge (since high recharge rate in an individual power will somewhat negatively affect the proc rate). If not for you being /Nrg and probably using Boost Range, the Hami-O +dam/+rng would be a natural pick. You could easily run around with a 80-90 feet quick-casting cone with CC.

I refuse to accept expensive as a reason now. Even if you don't want to follow the very simple market strategies posted in various places here it's hardly difficult to get 500 merits. just keep regular IOs slotted until you can afford the frozen blasts by whatever means. I'm sure you remember how it used to take months saving for builds when purples cost 350 million and pvp uniques were over the influence cap. We survived, we pimped out builds. And it was uphill both ways.

• Haha 1

Erm, I heartily disagree on positrons =D

Do you want it to convert to KD? Possible, but you lose the 6th slot franken, from multistrike.

Keep it as kb and use it positionally, then posi and frankenslot

I don't even know if it needs a Frankenslotting.  Posi 5, and a Recharge IO is how I roll for that.

Erm, I heartily disagree on positrons =D

Do you want it to convert to KD? Possible, but you lose the 6th slot franken, from multistrike.

Keep it as kb and use it positionally, then posi and frankenslot

I don't even know if it needs a Frankenslotting.  Posi 5, and a Recharge IO is how I roll for that.

With high global recharge, you get a severely diminished returns for your increased power recharge. Adding a range IO is generally a much better allocation of the extra slot as an extra 10 feet at the far end makes a significant difference in average enemies hit and also makes it easier to stay out of melee distance when you want to.

Don't forget you can use Sudden Acceleration's KB to KD as well can't you? And that one's not unique. If it's good for tentacles, it should be good for torrent too.

Yes, that's why Energy Torrent would only have 5 slots to work with.

The problem is not what to put in it. It is that you seem to think you have to put a kb to kid io in it and only have 5 slots. Stop making the toon for whinny ass melee players and optimize the character for you.

The problem is not what to put in it. It is that you seem to think you have to put a kb to kid io in it and only have 5 slots. Stop making the toon for whinny ass melee players and optimize the character for you.

"Optimize for you" with strong KB AoEs means you will make your entire team suboptimal. I dislike teaming with trigger-happy Peacebringers and Energy Blastahs as they tend to work against the team by scattering the spawns with their subpar damage (compared to AoE-centric power sets like Fire). Can't count the number of times oblivious "blastahs" like that wasted my team-melting AoEs and made a short fight more dangerous and protracted. 

I'm a player who gets annoyed when my teammates scatter the enemies with AoE knockback.

I didn't say you had to scatter the mobs. You could simply point out to your tank/brute/agro shield to do his thing in positions where the knockback is less of a factor. I fail to understand why blasters seem to think that they have to change the inherent traits of their characters or power sets to compensate for a lack of skill land plain out blockheadedness of another player that can not seem to understand that the blaster AOEs knockback or not, do more proportional damage then any AOE a tanker gets. Which means using them melts mobs faster, which means if the knockback is an issue then herd to where it is not an issue.

Yes I get that spreading the mobs is bad, in theory. But I also have to be happy with how my character plays, for me. If I am someone that cares about the knockback then fine slot it with your reducers and live with the limited bonus you can get from that power, or hell get rid of the power all together and take something you can slot as you want to. But I for one love my soft capped ranged defense and 30 percent energy defense and 70 percent SL resistances and 32 percent fire/cold resistances that all those 6 item bonuses give to my blaster. Just imagine in reverse. Say Hand Clap did like high damage and tankers took it because it was a high damage AOE even with the knockback. And trollers complained and told them not to use it because it knocked the enemies out of the range of Rain or Fire or blasters complained because it spread out the mobs right before they hit fireball. Do you think for one moment any tanker would give two rats ass about changing the slotting on handclap and losing their 6th slot bonus because a squishie didn't like it? I don't know a single tanker that would give up a 3.75 percent defense bonus for anything. So why should you be expected to. Slot what you want to enhance what you want, and be mindful of your use of the power when teaming. Period. And if people still complain that is their problem not yours.

I don't know a single tanker that would give up a 3.75 percent defense bonus for anything.

Tanker: "You can have my 3.75% defense boost when you pry it out of my cold, dead fingers.

Enemy: "Offer accepted."

Attack... MISS. Attack... MISS. Attack... MISS.

Enemy: "Dang, that's an annoying defense boost".

Yes I get that spreading the mobs is bad, in theory. But I also have to be happy with how my character plays, for me

Talk about selfish.

"Hey, I know this annoys literally -everybody- else, and makes killing actually slower, but I don't care. Also it'd be fixed if we took three times as long to kill stuff by letting the tank position it against a wall or corner so my annoying powers didn't inconvenience the entirety of the team. Why won't they do that?

Yeah, can't imagine why people tend to dislike Energy blasters...

"Optimize for you" with strong KB AoEs means you will make your entire team suboptimal. I dislike teaming with trigger-happy Peacebringers and Energy Blastahs as they tend to work against the team by scattering the spawns with their subpar damage (compared to AoE-centric power sets like Fire). Can't count the number of times oblivious "blastahs" like that wasted my team-melting AoEs and made a short fight more dangerous and protracted.

Then solo if you only want to see your powers be used. A team might not be "optimal" its a team. Point being is that lets say 2 people on that team have lag issues that cause their computers to freeze up everytime you unleash one of your "mob melting" aoe attacks so they ask you not to use them because it makes their play better. Do you then stop using your AOE attack? Like it or not a opening salvo or explosive blast and energy torrent (especially with build up and aim) is making most of that mobs minions a AOE Immbl worth of damage away from being dead. So perhaps rather then questioning why the powers are being used, perhaps question why the controller in the group is not hitting them with IMMBL to prevent the knock back from happening? Oh what do you mean many controllers skip their AOE immbl? You mean it prevents them from making a build that can solo fight AVs because another power choice is better for them? But what about optimizing the team?

Thing is mobs in this game melt. If you can not successfully in a full team fight +3s at the upper level, then the problem you are having is NOT the blaster or kheldian with knockback. Enemies that are knocked back are not attacking, when they get up are not attacking with their melee attacks (which do more damage) because they have been knocked out of melee range. Should energy torrent be used on every mob everytime it is recharged? No likely not. However this player is forgoing something that does benefit his character (I don't remember what one I have in it might be a blasters wraith or a winters bite or something) but my 6 slotted energy torrent I believe is giving me 7.5 percent of defense to aoe and fire and cold damage types. I am not giving that up because OTHER players want to kill a mob 4 seconds faster then if the mobs didn't have to get up and run back to the tanker they are agro'd to. If this dude from the OP is willing to keep his blaster squishie that is his choice I was offering my opinion to his question.

What's wrong with Positron's Blast? 6.25% recharge from 5 slots, a small range boost (doubly great in cones), and a damage proc... what's not to like?

@QuiJon: Indiscriminate knockback is f-ing annoying.  It's your character and you have the right to do it, but it's annoying as hell. 

Incidentally, if you open up with AoE knockbacks before the tank has gathered everything together, a good controller/dominator WON'T have used their AoE immobilize yet anyway... because it roots the enemies in place instead of waiting 2-3 seconds for the tank to do their job.  When I'm playing SOLO, I do open up with my AoE immobilize because that's how my character works best... when playing alone. 

Yes I get that spreading the mobs is bad, in theory. But I also have to be happy with how my character plays, for me

Talk about selfish.

"Hey, I know this annoys literally -everybody- else, and makes killing actually slower, but I don't care. Also it'd be fixed if we took three times as long to kill stuff by letting the tank position it against a wall or corner so my annoying powers didn't inconvenience the entirety of the team. Why won't they do that?

Yeah, can't imagine why people tend to dislike Energy blasters...

First of all if you are playing with a blaster that is causing your team to take 3 times longer to kill anything the problem is NOT the blasters. Secondly IF and I do mean IF on chance I use my knockback in a fashion that spreads out the mobs they are normally close enough to death that I am finishing them off before they have a chance to get up and return to the herd anyway. And guess what, even the mobs not knocked back are taking that aoe damage in the herd also.

And finally, guess what pumkins, there is no knockback if you put the mob in a logical place to take advantage of the powers that are on the team you are playing on. So if you are the tanker on the team you know I am there cause apparently I am pising you off with power secondary effects that are essentially a random number roll, then politely ask to not attack the mob until you get it settled into one spot and then settle that mob into a corner or against a wall or something where there is no knockback. See THAT is something you should have control of. the Tank is herding I am killing. You play your role on the team and I will play mine. But if you are being irritated by a blasters knockback it is because you are a shitty tank not because they are a shitty blaster.

What's wrong with Positron's Blast? 6.25% recharge from 5 slots, a small range boost (doubly great in cones), and a damage proc... what's not to like?

@QuiJon: Indiscriminate knockback is f-ing annoying.  It's your character and you have the right to do it, but it's annoying as hell. 

Incidentally, if you open up with AoE knockbacks before the tank has gathered everything together, a good controller/dominator WON'T have used their AoE immobilize yet anyway... because it roots the enemies in place instead of waiting 2-3 seconds for the tank to do their job.  When I'm playing SOLO, I do open up with my AoE immobilize because that's how my character works best... when playing alone.

I agree with most all of this. I when solo will open on a large mob with my AOEs boosted with aim and build up and then with the current insta snipe still have the ability to insta full power snipe the boss, or lt or biggest of the mob on top of that. Do I do that on teams, no. I get to let a tanker herd. I get to let a controller immb I also get to try hovering over the top to prevent the effect, I also get that the tanker should be trying to drop said herd where the kockback is not going to be an issue. But the OP is acting like he can not slot the power as he would like because people have told him to get rid of his knockback. I am saying fuck that. Slot the character how you want. Try to limit the issue sure, but don't fundamentally give up your plan for that character because other players tell you to do it. Because like I said, none of them would give up a scrap of their defenses to do it for you. Why do you think they get so pissed about the knockback, it isn't the damage potential things die so fast to begin with, its that their defense auras don't grant as much protection if they have 6 mobs around them instead of 9. Yet tell the blaster with half the HPs to give up game changing amount of defense in his IO build seems to be no issue for them to ask for at all.

First of all if you are playing with a blaster that is causing your team to take 3 times longer to kill anything the problem is NOT the blasters. Secondly IF and I do mean IF on chance I use my knockback in a fashion that spreads out the mobs they are normally close enough to death that I am finishing them off before they have a chance to get up and return to the herd anyway. And guess what, even the mobs not knocked back are taking that aoe damage in the herd also.

And finally, guess what pumkins, there is no knockback if you put the mob in a logical place to take advantage of the powers that are on the team you are playing on. So if you are the tanker on the team you know I am there cause apparently I am pising you off with power secondary effects that are essentially a random number roll, then politely ask to not attack the mob until you get it settled into one spot and then settle that mob into a corner or against a wall or something where there is no knockback. See THAT is something you should have control of. the Tank is herding I am killing. You play your role on the team and I will play mine. But if you are being irritated by a blasters knockback it is because you are a shitty tank not because they are a shitty blaster.

The amount of effort you put in to justify your crappy behavior is hilarious :)

I agree with most all of this. I when solo will open on a large mob with my AOEs boosted with aim and build up and then with the current insta snipe still have the ability to insta full power snipe the boss, or lt or biggest of the mob on top of that. Do I do that on teams, no. I get to let a tanker herd. I get to let a controller immb I also get to try hovering over the top to prevent the effect, I also get that the tanker should be trying to drop said herd where the kockback is not going to be an issue. But the OP is acting like he can not slot the power as he would like because people have told him to get rid of his knockback. I am saying fuck that. Slot the character how you want. Try to limit the issue sure, but don't fundamentally give up your plan for that character because other players tell you to do it. Because like I said, none of them would give up a scrap of their defenses to do it for you. Why do you think they get so pissed about the knockback, it isn't the damage potential things die so fast to begin with, its that their defense auras don't grant as much protection if they have 6 mobs around them instead of 9. Yet tell the blaster with half the HPs to give up game changing amount of defense in his IO build seems to be no issue for them to ask for at all.

I don't necessarily agree with "how" you've approached posting here, but I agree with the idea that if you really want KB, you should have KB.  KB is fantastic for soloing, and if you are squishie, then keeping enemies on the ground, far away, and struggling to use their attacks is way better than having them inside melee range pummeling you.

You probably, as a courtesy, adjust your use KB on a team to be accommodating, but I love KB in powers, and to date, have not had any complaints about how I use them.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

The recharge enhancement it gives is garbage and the accuracy enhancement is subpar. And using the KB-to-KD IO and the proc for the recharge bonus means the enhancement values are even worse.