Prestige and subscription

14 hours ago, Apogee said:

I don't think anyone is offended by you being old school.  Quite a few of us here qualify for senior discounts.

Well...Golden Corral seems to think I do. 🙄 I've told them many times I don't qualify... yet... so if they continue to ring up the discount each visit, who am I to argue?  🤷‍♂️

I know unpopular opinion, but I kind of miss prestige.  I always wished they'd just made things super cheap instead of going absolutely free.   Cheap enough that a solo SG would still be easy enough to build with a minimal investment.  I'm a big fan of a 'sense of progression' and there isn't any anymore for SG building.

Cheers to those that just want a creative free playground though and some of the bases out there are amazing.

• Thumbs Down 1

I doubt we could afford our volunteers if we paid for them. Even at 5000 people paying $15 a month, that's only 75,000 a month in revenue, and a lot would go to overhead. Say 50K left, that's just a couple of highly skilled developers. That's not enough, and the rest would be put off by it. 

It's better they do it for the love of the game and community as a hobby. And for most of them, the return they get this way is more valuable to them than the pay might be. Further, none of them feel trapped in a job they can't leave because they have bills to pay.

9 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

I know unpopular opinion, but I kind of miss prestige.  I always wished they'd just made things super cheap instead of going absolutely free.   Cheap enough that a solo SG would still be easy enough to build with a minimal investment.  I'm a big fan of a 'sense of progression' and there isn't any anymore for SG building.

Cheers to those that just want a creative free playground though and some of the bases out there are amazing.

The arguing with the base editor and spending dozens to hundreds of hours to achieve a fully developed base does not give you a sense of progression?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Banjo 1

5 hours ago, Andreah said:

I doubt we could afford our volunteers if we paid for them. Even at 5000 people paying $15 a month, that's only 75,000 a month in revenue, and a lot would go to overhead. Say 50K left, that's just a couple of highly skilled developers. That's not enough, and the rest would be put off by it. 

It's better they do it for the love of the game and community as a hobby. And for most of them, the return they get this way is more valuable to them than the pay might be. Further, none of them feel trapped in a job they can't leave because they have bills to pay.

$50K/month is $600K/year. You're getting more than two developers for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

On 8/18/2024 at 9:27 AM, biffrons69 said:

Will prestige ever come back? Why can't this game go back to monthly subscription so it can get even better?

It would be a very good idea to read the FAQ:  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Microphone 1

3 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

And if donations scratch that itch I believe in addition to CoH both Mids Reborn and the HC wiki could use our help as well.

In the list of things I don't understand, the wiki and an online builder not already being under HC might be tops. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

58 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

In the list of things I don't understand, the wiki and an online builder not already being under HC might be tops. 

I believe the wiki is being moved to the HC hardware.

If someone figured out a good online builder, then maybe we'd have something as well.

52 minutes ago, lemming said:

If someone figured out a good online builder, then maybe we'd have something as well.

I watch too much youtube. I see "online builder" and start expecting an ad for Squarespace.

• Like 1

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

4 hours ago, lemming said:

I believe the wiki is being moved to the HC hardware.

I believe one or some of the HC have looked at it as have others, but it never goes anywhere. Building one is one of the things I would at least poke around on if I had the mental space for it, but my wife and I just had a 30+ minute conversation about how my work is impacting my mental health since my 'team' went from 2 people to 1 person 2-3 years ago. And yes, Mid's is written in .NET, and that's what I support.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

On 8/20/2024 at 2:33 PM, Rishidian said:

I smell a Troll....

You think someone with 2 posts and "69" in their username isn't in good faith? Oh, the humanity. 😁

• Haha 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior