Selling Rare Salvage At A Vendor

Oklahoman

I searched quickly and saw a post about this from 2019, but nothing since. Apologies if my Google-fu is not strong enough today and this has been recommended recently.

Can we have rare salvage changed to not be sellable to a vendor? Or, up the sell amount? I think rare salvage is selling at a vendor for about 5k, but selling in the auction house for 400k+. Quite a difference.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

Agreed with @JKCarrier. If a player wants to sell their rare salvage to a vendor, they should be able to. So I oppose taking that away from them. As for increasing the sale amount? I oppose that too. You are supposed to get less from selling to a merchant than selling to everyone else in an auction. (Because us non-merchants are typically willing to pay much more than something is worth for various reasons, whereas a merchant is going to pay as little as possible to maximize their profits.)

While selling it more at a vendor should be an option, I just don't think it is going to happen. If you bump it up to $100K, are people really going to start selling it at a vendor when it can say at worst be sold on the market for $400K? If you make the selling price at the vendor credible enough, you start to impact the amount which is on the market. Holiday season is a bit weird, but I have seen it go for $400k to at least $750K. It makes it difficult to know what price a vendor would buy it for. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

1 hour ago, JKCarrier said:

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning here. What are you trying to accomplish?

There are many items you cannot sell to a vendor and must sell on the auction house. What I am trying to accomplish is adding rare salvage to that list. I thought I made that clear in my post.

Personally, anything that can be sold at a vendor, I do, just to get rid of it quickly. Why shouldn't I be able to?

For the same reason you can't sell a purple recipe to a vendor for 10k. And I'm glad you are flush and don't have to worry about such things.

10 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

If you bump it up to $100K, are people really going to start selling it at a vendor when it can say at worst be sold on the market for $400K? If you make the selling price at the vendor credible enough, you start to impact the amount which is on the market. Holiday season is a bit weird, but I have seen it go for $400k to at least $750K. It makes it difficult to know what price a vendor would buy it for. 

I'm certain the mathematical geniuses looking at the tables in the database can apply some kind of "Deal Or No Deal" math to that based on historical trends and come up with a number, but really I'm much more concerned with how easy it is to leave a considerable chunk of change on the table by accidentally selling everything at a vendor really quickly:

image.jpeg.1448620732e0c98449f799082d5dbf5b.jpeg

image.jpeg.6c9f9faa7dbfacf17dd4105a815e1f38.jpeg

100k is better than 5k, and still preserves the market. It just makes those "oopsies" when you accidentally sell a rare salvage sting a little less.

• Like 1

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

14 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

It just makes those "oopsies" when you accidentally sell a rare salvage sting a little less.

My response to that is to be more careful or hit up the AH first.

Edit: It's just like if a player accidentally hits an extra 0 when buying things on the AH or accidentally buys the wrong enhancement. That is entirely on us. The game shouldn't be made to have to compensate us for making mistakes.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe have a little checkbox in the vendor UI to "Hide/Show rare salvage"? This would add an option as opposed to removing one and may be more palatable for the Trillionaires that want to sell their gold for pennies.

However I'd like to put this out there, if anyone plans on selling a bunch of rare salvage to a vendor, please hit me up and I'll double their price!😁

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *MiHami Heat-Fire/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

1 hour ago, Oklahoman said:

There are many items you cannot sell to a vendor and must sell on the auction house. What I am trying to accomplish is adding rare salvage to that list.

Yes, but WHY? What is the problem you are trying to solve? You already have the option of selling salvage to the auction house, so what would this arbitrary restriction add to the game?

For the same reason you can't sell a purple recipe to a vendor for 10k.

I wouldn't mind being able to do that too, actually...

It just makes those "oopsies" when you accidentally sell a rare salvage sting a little less.

Wait, THAT'S the reason? Kinda burying the lede, there. Sorry, my dude, sounds like a skill issue.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Yes, but WHY? What is the problem you are trying to solve? You already have the option of selling salvage to the auction house, so what would this arbitrary restriction add to the game?

Yes, you have the option of selling to the auction house. The difference in price between vendor and auction house, even at the lowest amount the AH historically gives, is more than slightly significant.

And just like people are new, or aren't aware of other features in the game, or have heard XYZ about it, the player should get *some* sort of notification about "This often sells for much more at the AH." An *option* to not accidentally sell it to a vendor would be nice as well - I'm not as sold as just a blanket block for selling it to a vendor, personally. But an opt-in "Allow rare salvage to be sold to a vendor" (and, frankly, yes, another warning dialog about selling, one, the other or both) wouldn't be amiss.

• Thanks 1

i think this is a terrible idea, here is why:

vendor prices are low because when You sell to the vendor, You are perpetuating market scarcity. the higher the vendor buy price, the fewer people will take the extra time and clicks to put those items on the market. more items on the market, means more supply and lower prices.

the vendor isn't intended to be equivalent or even close to as profitable as the market. if it was, the market wouldn't work!

• Like 1

g_d's lil' monster ❤️

4 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

100k is better than 5k, and still preserves the market. It just makes those "oopsies" when you accidentally sell a rare salvage sting a little less.

Okie, you're among the best of us and I'd never mock you.  That said, would it not be better to create a warning message when selling anything orange or higher to a vendor?  That leaves the player with the freedom to choose to sell this way, while reducing the accidental sales.

'Cause if you think about it, if you prevent sales to a vendor for the purpose of preventing an accidental sale, then it's only fair to treat other accidents in similar fashion.  Earlier this summer, I had one of those "oopsie" moments with the in-game mail system.  I thought I was sending my alternate character INF 50,000,000 from my bank mule.  It disappeared and I got a GM involve.  Bless them if they didn't trace the problem to a space in the address line.  Apparently, there's another player out there with an identical global except for a space.  They're now INF 50 million richer.  Would I have wanted to prevent that, or have a retract feature?  You betcha.  I know I'm not the only one.  And it happens on the AH, too, that spot you want to move this to exclusively.  People overpay all the time because they typed too many zeroes.    For all of these, I'd prefer to have what another friend once called "Are you sure you're stupid?" pop-up warning.

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

Okie, you're among the best of us and I'd never mock you.

Yer in the minority there, partner.

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

That said, would it not be better to create a warning message when selling anything orange or higher to a vendor?

Yes. I figure anything you post in the suggestions forum has a minute chance of happening anyway (and a 100% chance of being shot down by people who live just to do that sort of thing), but I figure it would be easier to do what I suggested than what you suggest. After all, there's a list somewhere in the code that prevents selling certain items to a vendor, so just add rare salvage to that list - vs. adding a popup warning that can be made to not show in the future and track that decision someplace, plus allow them to turn it back on in the future if they want. I haven't looked at the game code, I'm just guessing.

In general, though, I do think we should be doing more of what you suggest. There's a lot of knowledge about the game that exists out here (*gestures broadly at the internet*) that doesn't exist inside the game. Things like enhancement diversification, law of fives, selling oranges or higher on the auction house, etc. that I would love for a brand new player to find without having to load a web browser to do it.

• Thanks 1

Interesting. I am thinking of how it would play out if a vendor were changed to increase the price of rare salvage to 500K. I wonder if the price on the AH would go up, or down. 

Now, that day-dreaming aside, I think I'd like to introduce a level of tedium as a suggestion to Okie and other players. 

/vault 
So, we have room for 100 salvage, in addition to what our characters can carry. I've used this in so many silly ways. Some characters of mine have stashed all the rares they receive in there, just to see if they can beat the personal record of 46 rare drops before they reach level 50. I have gotten in the habit of just dropping my rares in the vault, often to my detriment, as I'll end up wanting to craft something and forget to look in there. It's happened enough where I made an SG just for crafting, and my "crafting" characters now belong to it and use the salvage within if they need something. Very tedious at times, I assure you. And I am "flush" as Okie puts it. I do this kind of tedium to keep the inf out of the hands of other marketers who would like nothing more than my inf in their pockets! You cannot have it! Unless of course, I am in need of something you have..then, perhaps. 

If one can successfully make it routine to toss rare salvage in the vault, and check the vault before crafting, it's not terribly time consuming. 

The only thing I'm likely to ever vendor is common salvage and GM recipes. I'm still kicking myself for not listing the Hamidon pet recipe when it was going for 100M. And I am grateful that purple and pvp recipes don't show up on the vendor list to sell. 

Since I don't have an issue with ever selling rare salvage anywhere, as I use it all, (eventually) I'm good with Okie's suggestion. 

17 hours ago, JKCarrier said:

Wait, THAT'S the reason? Kinda burying the lede, there. Sorry, my dude, sounds like a skill issue.

This happens often and usually to those who can afford it least. So I can see the ask.

When leveling salvage gets full often and those rare drops are very valuable to a low level character or new player. A 100x penalty is very harsh. A 2 or 3x penalty is more inline with learning the ropes.

While I have hundreds of billions not everyone one does and I appreciate @Oklahoman asking for the little guys and gals.

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Increasing the amount a vendor will pay could mean less for the auction house.

Folks who dont care might dump them there and take what they get as it is not their main goal.

That scarcity would impact crafters.

Hence the ask that they not be vendorable. (coding wise: flagging orange salvage as very rare behind the scenes might be easiest.. but spaghetti code.. [VR are not vendorable])

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I find myself agreeing with Rudra, which usually would make me wrong.  But in this case ( 😄 ), if you don't want to sell it to the vendor for 5k, don't do it.

But I'd support a "cancel email" ability because I think we've all sent the typo demon a hundred million inf at least once.

Everlasting server -  the Perma-Newbies SG

FWIW, I just checked and it seems that rare recipes (at least the one I got) sell at a vendor for 10k. I actually make more money selling that one specific rare recipe to a vendor than putting it on the auction house. Maybe other rare recipes sell at a vendor for more, I don't know. If I'm not mistaken, rare mini-pet recipes are selling at a vendor for more than 10k.

Surely even those adamantly opposed to this would agree that we can at least bump rare salvage up to 10k at a vendor, then... right? And, if rare mini-pet recipes are selling at a vendor for more than that why not match whatever that rate is? Or, somewhere in between?

48 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

FWIW, I just checked and it seems that rare recipes (at least the one I got) sell at a vendor for 10k. I actually make more money selling that one specific rare recipe to a vendor than putting it on the auction house. Maybe other rare recipes sell at a vendor for more, I don't know. If I'm not mistaken, rare mini-pet recipes are selling at a vendor for more than 10k.

Surely even those adamantly opposed to this would agree that we can at least bump rare salvage up to 10k at a vendor, then... right? And, if rare mini-pet recipes are selling at a vendor for more than that why not match whatever that rate is? Or, somewhere in between?

AH prices are based on demand. Just because a recipe is rare does not mean it is in demand. Rare salvage however is in demand because you need it to make those rare recipes, regardless of whether it is a recipe in demand or not. And somewhere along the way people need to take accountability for their own actions. You wanted to AH something and you vendored it instead? You wanted to purchase something for 10,000,000 but paid 100,000,000 instead? You wanted an Unbreakable Guard but bought a Reactive Armor instead? That's on you. The game should not have to hold our hands to protect us from making mistakes.

Edit: And your comparison to mini-pet recipes, that can only be gotten by spending Monstrous Aether or being lucky enough that it drops from the GM you fought, is not a good comparison for salvage that can drop from any minion (edit again: or underling tier) opponent.

Edited by Rudra

53 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

Some recipes sell for more in the AH than to the vendor.  Especially if you have lower level recipes, but it's based on demand.  I find if I dump all recipes at a minimum, some sell for way more, some for way less, but averages out at above vendor price.