What's considered a lot of wealth in the game?

Alphabet Soup II
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1 hour ago, DSorrow said:

That depends, really. With converters, I don't think it's necessarily the case as they stabilize the price difference between highly sought after items and "garbage", so even without lucky drops a new player can make a decent bankroll just by selling uncommon IOs - provided that someone is buying them.

Very much this and tiny’s post above.

After all of those years of live Invention/WW conditioning, it can be difficult to see that the old way is no longer the case. Those two systems are very casual friendly now.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

I do use converters - fairly often, although I intensely dislike gambling or anything where the outcome depends on chance.  But I don't sell the resulting enhancement; I run them only until it lands on something one of my alts will find useful, and then I use it myself. 

I'm also used to the idea that it will take a long time before I fully IO out a character.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Totally unrelated question: do the polls work anymore? I see 49 votes and no results.

• Like 1

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

3 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I do use converters - fairly often, although I intensely dislike gambling or anything where the outcome depends on chance.  But I don't sell the resulting enhancement; I run them only until it lands on something one of my alts will find useful, and then I use it myself. 

I'm also used to the idea that it will take a long time before I fully IO out a character.

This is my opinion only, but the old ways don't apply anymore.  If you sell the good IOs, you make profit.  Take that profit and re-invest into creating more good IOs, re-sell good IOs.  Once you get enough (1 billion influence) you start rolling out a several hundred million inf profit each night.  My opinion only, but it will help you IO out all your alts very quickly.  The cost of doing it?  You have to:

1) Understand that in this video game, you aren't really gambling.  Any risk aversion you have to gambling, be gone!

2) There is no "helping" no players by not using inf to buy IOs.  When you create good IOs from bad ones, you help everyone, you also make profit.

3) If you can stop IO'ing your alts for now, create a pool of 1 billion inf by converting and selling good IOs.  Once this pool is created, gradually shift tens or hundreds of millions to your alts.

My opinion only.  😃

16 hours ago, Heraclea said:

Nobody ever got billions of inf fighting mobs. 

I beg to differ.

I mainly farm and have 2 characters I have had to trim their stockpile when it reached the 2 billion cap. Easily 5+ billion from farming alone.

I rarely craft and convert or sell my good drops- I never sell purples or PVP IOs, I just kill mobs and stash IOs in my base for alts.

Ive managed to outfit over a dozen 50s and fill 8 bins with IOs from fighting mobs.

45 minutes ago, SlimPickens said:

I beg to differ.

I mainly farm and have 2 characters I have had to trim their stockpile when it reached the 2 billion cap. Easily 5+ billion from farming alone.

I rarely craft and convert or sell my good drops- I never sell purples or PVP IOs, I just kill mobs and stash IOs in my base for alts.

Ive managed to outfit over a dozen 50s and fill 8 bins with IOs from fighting mobs.

As I recall, this was the primary way to earn Influence in the old reality. It’s just as easy in this one.

Well, if you are really into it, you can make north of 1 bn an hour on the AH.  You can't necessarily make 1bn in any given hour (from 2pm to 3pm EST).  And you can't necessarily make 10bn in 10 given hours (2pm to midnight EST).  If you were in a Run Lola Run situation, I'd farm for inf.  But if you want to make real money with a lot of zeroes that means nothing--marketing is your niche.

Who run Bartertown?

6 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Well, if you are really into it, you can make north of 1 bn an hour on the AH.  You can't necessarily make 1bn in any given hour (from 2pm to 3pm EST).  And you can't necessarily make 10bn in 10 given hours (2pm to midnight EST).  If you were in a Run Lola Run situation, I'd farm for inf.  But if you want to make real money with a lot of zeroes that means nothing--marketing is your niche.

How much time does that take away from the combat aspect of the game?

3 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

1 hour sounds like a pretty reasonable estimate for someone who knows what they're doing. My weekly/biweekly marketing sessions usually take around ~30mins each and I make between 200-300mil profit per session with pretty lazy stratsI mostly sell stuff that gets me decent margins at no risk with the fewest number of clicks. I could trade other stuff with higher volatility and more clicks for probably more than double the profit, but personally I find there's no point in doing so as the 200-500mil (before drops) I get per week more than covers the rate of new 50s (one per ~3 weeks), and the clicking/converting game becomes irritating very quickly. 

• Like 1

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I use the Market (though nowhere near as hardcore as some you), but having those of you that use it to full effect telling Hera and others how it works gives them both more information and options on the system.

Now that some time has passed, I think it's safe to say that 10 billion would be considered a lot. Less than that - well, you probably have a life outside the game and aren't concerned with the game within the game - making inf. 

The market didn't exist when I started playing. I enjoyed the dopamine from the sounds and visuals from leveling up. That was really enough for me. But now - with the market...noticing that I can plunk down 60 million for a hami-o to give away...that's pretty nice. 

What boggles my mind is that there are people who would rather play the game than the market. I just don't get people.  Kidding! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

Now that some time has passed, I think it's safe to say that 10 billion would be considered a lot. Less than that - well, you probably have a life outside the game and aren't concerned with the game within the game - making inf. 

The market didn't exist when I started playing. I enjoyed the dopamine from the sounds and visuals from leveling up. That was really enough for me. But now - with the market...noticing that I can plunk down 60 million for a hami-o to give away...that's pretty nice. 

What boggles my mind is that there are people who would rather play the game than the market. I just don't get people.  Kidding! 

Haha I think it's the person.  Personally in all games with AH (Diablo 3, WoW and Cox) I've tried to own the AH.  Often leads to new friendships 😃 and several bitter enemies 😭.

My only dopamine is FOOTSTOMP FOOTSTOMP FOOTSTOMFFFF (spits)!!!!!!!!!!!! 

🐾🐾 on a 5 second CD, all mobs knocked up, full 15 enemies saturation, force feedback rez-icon proc, 650% damage cap.

Titan weapons whirlwind attack is a close second but the delayed knockup breaks my instant gratification heart.

Else, it's /AH.

Edited by tinygodzilla
  • Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 3:33 AM, Myrmidon said:

Depending on how much prep work you do, 5-15 minutes per marketing alt. 

For example, one of my alts that plays "rare roulette".  I'll open /AH, collect all sales from last login.  Collect 50 recipes, 150 pieces of salvage, 250 converters that I put bids on last time.  Open the crafting table I bought from the P2W vendor for 10mm.  Craft my 50.  Convert my 50.  List my 50.  Put in my bids for 50 more recipes and 150 more pieces of salvage and 250 more converters.  Playing rare roulette probably takes more time than working a specific niche.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

6 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

It should take shorter working a niche, but it doesn't for me because I don't bid on salvage until I have the recipe. If I start bidding on both at the same time, then yes it likely would take less time. Time to rethink my approach. 

I dont think bidding on salvage ahead of time is usually required unless you are looking for a lower-than-average price. 

It is possible a schedule to check/bid/craft may help you as it did for me:

1) Before work - bid on all required items (mostly recipes, almost never salvage), post auctions if not running late

2) Coming home from work - collect all sales, collect all recipes, craft, convert, bid on all remaining items

3) Before sleeping - same as step 2

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 3:09 PM, tinygodzilla said:

Haha I think it's the person.  Personally in all games with AH (Diablo 3, WoW and Cox) I've tried to own the AH.  Often leads to new friendships 😃 and several bitter enemies 😭

When I played WoW, which was around ten years ago, I ran a thorium and mithril racket.  The way crafting worked back then was that it was levelled up like anything else.  Thorium and mithril were former high end crafting mats that were found in former high end zones.  I had a character of the current max level and every day I'd visit the zones and collect all the thorium and mithril there.  Then back to Ironforge to make sure no one was underselling me, buy them out if they were, and put everything back on the AH at my price.  Because everybody who wanted to achieve current max level weapon and armorsmithing had to make so much thorium and mithril junk that nobody used any more, to move past those levels and on to the next grind. 

I am ashamed of myself for exploiting a flawed game mechanic this way.  But so much else about that game, from gear scores to gear repair costs, was similarly community-destroying. 

I quit at somewhere around 7 billion earned - hard to say exactly because a lot of it is tied up in builds, and I pissed away a fair amount on typoes in the market interface.  At the moment I have about 4 billion liquid, and not too many compelling ideas on how to spend to it.

Anyway, I'll go against the grain a bit; in practical terms, you're rich if you have more than enough INF to fully kit out all of the characters you've rolled or intend to roll.  In relative terms, this number may or may not be enough to impress people on the forums, but that isn't a terribly important bar to clear.  If you truly enjoy making pixel money, then by all means have at it, but if your marketeering is more of a means to an end, then don't lose sight of the end.  You can always come back later to earn more if you suddenly find there's a new build concept you want to invest in.

Edited by Obitus
  • Like 3

I'll agree with Obitus and Ukase (further up thread).  After you have a fully built level 50 (or a stable of 50s) and 2 - 3 billion liquid you can coast.   With that amount, you can build a fully equipped new 50 at buy-it-NAO prices and still have enough bank left over to make billions more in a short period of time by investing, flipping, crafting, converter roulette, or whatever your preferred market method is.

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Like 2

I'll be the first to admit that massive inf accumulation is meaningless.  Then again, so is DPS in the pylon challenge thread.  It's just one way to keep score in one aspect of the game, and I take a small amount of pride that I'm very good at that aspect of the game.  I feel pretty confident that I could start a brand new alt and be able to start from zero and have him purpled and wintered out within 24-48 hours.  Maybe even faster, in the time I could get him PLed to 50?  Shrug.  That and $4 gets me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I also think that if one understands the markets, there really is no such thing as a billion inf build, or even a 500mm inf build.  Even now, when I want to buy one thing, I buy 5-10 of them, slot one, and sell the rest for a significant profit.

I remember during Live, just before I left, I was in a SG (I want to say it was Liberty server?  Whatever the #2 was in population) that got to the largest SG on the server simply from burning inf for prestige.  Boy, people on the forums got so mad!  But at least on Live, there was a use for inf.  Here on HC, where the devs bend over backward to make sure that anyone can have anything they want for minimal effort, I'm really searching for things to do with my imaginary currency.

• Confused 1

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I remember during Live, just before I left, I was in a SG (I want to say it was Liberty server?  Whatever the #2 was in population) that got to the largest SG on the server simply from burning inf for prestige.  Boy, people on the forums got so mad!  But at least on Live, there was a use for inf.  Here on HC, where the devs bend over backward to make sure that anyone can have anything they want for minimal effort, I'm really searching for things to do with my imaginary currency.

Back when the game sunset I took the number 3 spot on Guardian server by converting all my inf to prestige. I was solo and it took the two largest SGs on the server to prevent me from taking the top spot. I miss having prestige, it was fun to see how obscene the prestige would get to.

On 7/9/2019 at 4:57 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

Honestly, after your first 200 million, anything more doesn't do much for you, I've found personally.

COMMUNIST! A true ebil marketeer always finds ways to hoard/spend their INF. Buy up all cacophony enhancements and manipulate the prices? 

7 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I'll be the first to admit that massive inf accumulation is meaningless.  Then again, so is DPS in the pylon challenge thread.  It's just one way to keep score in one aspect of the game, and I take a small amount of pride that I'm very good at that aspect of the game.  I feel pretty confident that I could start a brand new alt and be able to start from zero and have him purpled and wintered out within 24-48 hours.  Maybe even faster, in the time I could get him PLed to 50?  Shrug.  That and $4 gets me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I also think that if one understands the markets, there really is no such thing as a billion inf build, or even a 500mm inf build.  Even now, when I want to buy one thing, I buy 5-10 of them, slot one, and sell the rest for a significant profit.

Give it to the poor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Obitus said:

I quit at somewhere around 7 billion earned - hard to say exactly because a lot of it is tied up in builds, and I pissed away a fair amount on typoes in the market interface.  At the moment I have about 4 billion liquid, and not too many compelling ideas on how to spend to it.

Anyway, I'll go against the grain a bit; in practical terms, you're rich if you have more than enough INF to fully kit out all of the characters you've rolled or intend to roll.  In relative terms, this number may or may not be enough to impress people on the forums, but that isn't a terribly important bar to clear.  If you truly enjoy making pixel money, then by all means have at it, but if your marketeering is more of a means to an end, then don't lose sight of the end.  You can always come back later to earn more if you suddenly find there's a new build concept you want to invest in.

19 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I'll agree with Obitus and Ukase (further up thread).  After you have a fully built level 50 (or a stable of 50s) and 2 - 3 billion liquid you can coast.   With that amount, you can build a fully equipped new 50 at buy-it-NAO prices and still have enough bank left over to make billions more in a short period of time by investing, flipping, crafting, converter roulette, or whatever your preferred market method is.

This is pretty much where I am. 6 50s with finished builds and a couple of billion on hand for any new ones that come up. I'll do a craft/convert/sell session once or twice a week to offset any inf spent on new 50s but other than that I don't see a point in getting more inf. For me, being wealthy basically means that couple of billion because it allows me to finish an IO build within an hour of the character hitting 50 and having 100 billion or more wouldn't change that situation at all.

• Like 2

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.