About those purple drops...

SwitchFade

The short...

I recall that purple recipes dropped, while not frequently, much more often than now.

Perhaps this is just my imagination, but I used to see a purple recipe once every 12-15 runs or so. I have yet to have a single purple drop since coming back to the game.

So, is the drop rate for purple recipes the same as live?

Honestly, I thought they must've turned it up. I got 3 purples on one farm run just last weekend.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

Honestly, I thought they must've turned it up. I got 3 purples on one farm run just last weekend.

Strange. Now I suspect a setting I have inadvertantly disabled.

Warrior map, lvl 50 toon, exp turned off to max INF, also tried it exp on as normal.

No exclusion from p2w. I just don't get purples. Since coming back, not one.

Any ideas?

The short...

I recall that purple recipes dropped, while not frequently, much more often than now.

Perhaps this is just my imagination, but I used to see a purple recipe once every 12-15 runs or so. I have yet to have a single purple drop since coming back to the game.

So, is the drop rate for purple recipes the same as live?

I have gotten 2 or 3 purple drops on my all T3 & T4 Time/Sonic def i don't feel like the drop rate is worse than live.

Strange. Now I suspect a setting I have inadvertantly disabled.

Warrior map, lvl 50 toon, exp turned off to max INF, also tried it exp on as normal.

No exclusion from p2w. I just don't get purples. Since coming back, not one.

Any ideas?

Since my main hit 50 a week ago, I have gotten one purple drop.  SwitchFade, I hate to say this, but given the low rate that purples are set to drop, it not unlikely that you haven't gotten one.  With very low drop rates, it is highly likely that some people will get (relatively) a lot & others will get none.  Randomness includes streaks, including streaks of none.  Just keep playing - & praying to the gods of randomness.  Eventually you will (probably) get some purple rain. :)

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

Got 3 out of 3 runs last night. That is after going several days with none. It's all random.

Yes, completely get that, and dang, congrats!

Just wondering if there's some new setting I wasn't aware of that I accidentally hit, and shut off purple drops. As j mentioned, p2w not used to restrict them.

I thought maybe I accidentally hit a setting, or turning off exp at 50 precluded them...

I think I have gotten like 4 purple drops since I started, and have spent quite a bit of time playing at level 50 (I have lost count of how many ITFs and other 50+ TFs I've done, spent tons of hours farming, etc).

Which, is about what I expect. I would go months on end without seeing purple drops on live.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Gotten all sorts of PvP recipes, but exactly one purple recipe since starting back in late April.  Used to get one once every couple tries along the Roman wall, but that's a dry hole for me. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Just ran for maaany hours. Warriors, and I have the run steady at 14 min each... not a single purple.

Interestingly, many PvP sets, which sell ok, and using converters on crappy drops I made a fair bit.

My diff has bosses shut off for speed, and I get 8mill a run.

Yet, not a single purple. Warriors have purples on their drop tables, yes?

And, LT's DO drop purples, yes?

I have to assume you aren’t getting purps because LTs and minions don’t have great drop rates for them. I’d guess bosses are a bit better. As most seem to report better luck than you. And I suspect elite bosses have an even better chance at dropping purps, because I have had tons drop and I usually run on a fire farm with EBs.

I've done fairly well on the purple front. Since early May, when I started, I've gotten at least 7, maybe 8? What is strange is that they're almost always Sleep or Hold purps... and I'm a MM... just my luck :P (thank god for converters!)

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle...

First group into the warriors and I finally received my first purple drop since coming back!

What's even more serendipitous, I was on the last enhance of Armageddon, chance for fire, when boom! The purple drop was that very recipe i needed :)

At least I know they're dropping!

From the Paragon Wiki:

Any critter that is capable of dropping a level 50 IO has a chance to drop a "purple". This includes, but is not limited to, level 47 minions, level 46 lieutenants, and etcetera. Giant Monsters, Monsters, and Underlings will never drop a "purple".

With that said I specifically remember being told by someone who studies the game far more than I ever did that when setting difficulty make sure to enable Bosses otherwise you won't get purples.

That could just be due to drop rates being lower for minions and LT's but I don't recall ever getting a purple drop with bosses turned off. Again, I don't have supporting evidence (I searched paragon wiki and couldn't find anything to support it's impossible to get a purple drop with bosses turned off) but it's always worked that way for me.

I suspect if you turn bosses on your luck will change

RNGesus giveth, RNGesus taketh away.

"Titan/Bio scrappers are the stealthiest toons in the game."

"How's that possible? They don't have any inherent stealth and you'd never take concealment pool powers on them!"

"You see; they're perfect at stealth because nobody will notice if there's nobody to notice."

I think it's still more efficient to farm minions and lieutenants since they are defeated significantly faster, at least in general. I'm sure some powersets or ATs(Stalkers?) could probably make short enough work of bosses for it to be worthwhile if purples are the primary goal. I know bosses significantly slow down my Elec/SD Scrapper.

edit: I do know that on the old forums somebody had a thread figuring out drop rates for purples, but I don't know the best way to find that particular thread.

Iirc purples were a flat 1 in 5000 chance for any kill over level 47. I also recall seeing Leandro say somewhere that the rate for those hadn't been changed, but I don't remember where so it's possible i dreamed it. But they've always been super streaky.