Loitering Plea... how to contribute to easing traffic.

I was reading in one of the FB CoH groups, and someone was ranting about the millions of pets that clutter around in Atlas Park, SC University, Ouro's in-zone Portal and so on.

So here are two quick tips for players of MMs everywhere as well as the players of repeated DFB Trials.

1 - You can cancel any active power by right-clicking the power icon in the top right of the screen under your XP bar. Pets included. It only takes a second to do this.

2 - If you are level 6 or higher, spend an extra minute to go to train with Back Alley Brawler instead of Ms. Liberty. This is perfect for all of those DFB runners who get Travel Powers before they resurface.

These two things alone will negate a lot of lag and promote more goodwill than simply yelling at each other in-game or in public forums. Just remember, CoH might run on a toaster, but lag is going to make toasters choke. Even high-performance machines (like my own) will stutter and sputter in these areas at peak times.

Keep the game a pleasant experience for everyone, yourself included!

Project Manager, Haphazard Projects

Founder of the L.A.U.G.H. SG

"If you don't laugh at yourself, someone else will laugh at you first!"

My character always walks away from Ms. Liberty just covered with Auras of all types, I feel like I need a shower...Sometimes I can't even see the ground it's so covered with effects...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

This is why I miss Galaxy City.

especially demon pets... those things are annoying and noisy.

You can silence or change those.

I altered the Demon Lt roar, it now giggles like a 6 month old infant and is much quieter.

Robot stomps now sound like rubber duckies.

Spines aura sound like bubbles.

Others like base portal or Portal Corp portals are just silent now.

Granted none of this does anything for the lag, just saves my hearing.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

So here are two quick tips for players of MMs everywhere as well as the players of repeated DFB Trials.

Even better:  DISMISS THE GORRAM PETS.

I mean, it's not like it's really that big a deal to resummon and re-upgrade them when you get to your next mission.  Trust me, MM is my "thing", my main on Live (and the only character I ever managed to get to 50 on) was a Robo/FF Mastermind, who was created the very hour that CoV launched.

And believe me, nowadays it is SOOOOOOO much easier to resummon, and then upgrade/buff, your henchies ... seriously, those powers are now AoE .. "back in the day" they used to be single target, and MMs would slot their upgrade powers for bloody recharge, just to get back to fighting quicker!

If you're in the safe, police-drone-surrounded part of a zone, right next to a trainer?  You don't need those pets.  Do the right thing, do the polite thing, and tell 'em to go get a cup of coffee in the Henchmen's Waiting Room or something, while you attend to your Very Important, Actually-a-Player business.  They'll understand ... it's in their Union Contracts, after all.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Do the right thing, do the polite thing, and tell 'em to go get a cup of coffee in the Henchmen's Waiting Room or something, while you attend to your Very Important, Actually-a-Player business.  They'll understand ... it's in their Union Contracts, after all.

+1 Inf for the chuckle Pax...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Even better:  DISMISS THE GORRAM PETS.

I mean, it's not like it's really that big a deal to resummon and re-upgrade them when you get to your next mission.  Trust me, MM is my "thing", my main on Live (and the only character I ever managed to get to 50 on) was a Robo/FF Mastermind, who was created the very hour that CoV launched.

And believe me, nowadays it is SOOOOOOO much easier to resummon, and then upgrade/buff, your henchies ... seriously, those powers are now AoE .. "back in the day" they used to be single target, and MMs would slot their upgrade powers for bloody recharge, just to get back to fighting quicker!

If you're in the safe, police-drone-surrounded part of a zone, right next to a trainer?  You don't need those pets.  Do the right thing, do the polite thing, and tell 'em to go get a cup of coffee in the Henchmen's Waiting Room or something, while you attend to your Very Important, Actually-a-Player business.  They'll understand ... it's in their Union Contracts, after all.

I have a bots/FF as well. The moment I leave a mission, I dismiss my pets. simply because if I travel anywhere, they'll probably aggro a crap-ton of mobs and/or die along the way anyway.

The moment I leave a mission, I dismiss my pets. simply because if I travel anywhere, they'll probably aggro a crap-ton of mobs and/or die along the way anyway.

Yeah, eventually, that too.  But most of the MMs with their pets out in AP are either (a) showing them off, or (b) low enough level they're still using Sprint to get everywhere, so aggro-dragging isn't as much of a thing for them.  Yet.

But, for myself?  One of my standard MM keybinds is CTRL+Q /petcom_all Dismiss ... when I've finished a mission, and step out onto the street .... if there isn't an ambush, poof, all pets dismissed.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I was reading in one of the FB CoH groups, and someone was ranting about the millions of pets that clutter around in Atlas Park, SC University, Ouro's in-zone Portal and so on.

1 - You can cancel any active power by right-clicking the power icon in the top right of the screen under your XP bar. Pets included. It only takes a second to do this.

2 - If you are level 6 or higher, spend an extra minute to go to train with Back Alley Brawler instead of Ms. Liberty. This is perfect for all of those DFB runners who get Travel Powers before they resurface.

These two things alone will negate a lot of lag and promote more goodwill than simply yelling at each other in-game or in public forums. Just remember, CoH might run on a toaster, but lag is going to make toasters choke. Even high-performance machines (like my own) will stutter and sputter in these areas at peak times.

Keep the game a pleasant experience for everyone, yourself included!

How about a suggestion in the Feedback & Suggestions section for something like:

Auto-detoggle player toggles/despawn pets for players inactive longer than 1 minute (that are not in a mission). If they could make it area specific like within a certain range of trainers/base portals/train stations, even better.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Assign a secret number to Ms. Liberty and calculate it as follows:

+1 for each player in her vicinity.

+2 for each MM pet.

+1 for each aura.

+3 for each player making tailor changes.  (She's trying to train up and coming heroes, stop asking her if that colour of cape clashes with your costume/hair/power blasts)

+10 for each spines/fire Brute.

When the number is reached Ms. Liberty aggros and attacks all players in range.  One they've been crane kicked halfway to Prometheus Park a few times they'll learn to keep their distance.

Auto-detoggle player toggles/despawn pets for players inactive longer than 1 minute (that are not in a mission). If they could make it area specific like within a certain range of trainers/base portals/train stations, even better.

Give all trainers a 50-foot Power Suppression field.

Also, the Police or Arbiter drones right there where the Trainer is, are hostile to Henchmen/Pets as well as enemy NPCs.  (Zap, zap, no more pets.)

When the number is reached Ms. Liberty aggros and attacks all players in range.  One they've been crane kicked halfway to Prometheus Park a few times they'll learn to keep their distance.

/JRANGER

People would use that to grief others.

Hell.  My old Robo/FF mastermind?  Six pets (seven with the Vet pet, eight with a Vanity pet).  Four toggles (Leadership pool, plus Dispersion bubble).  That's 21 points, just for me.

Worse, go with a Thugs/ MM - two of the pets have toggles, that'd be 25 points right there.

And let me repeat: people would use it to grief other players.

Give all trainers a 50-foot Power Suppression field.

Also, the Police or Arbiter drones right there where the Trainer is, are hostile to Henchmen/Pets as well as enemy NPCs.  (Zap, zap, no more pets.)

I think the only place I ever see lag consistently is Atlas Plaza...I frequently rubberband in Atlas Park, but I always rubberband as soon as the music cues for Atlas Plaza.  Not other zone does anything except a very rare rubberband.  I think just put the power suppression in Atlas Plaza and go from there...I like Oubliette's idea of a 1 min timer...but honestly, that sounds harder to code than just do a blanket suppression.

One sudden thought:

Any Power Suppression field in Atlas Plaza needs to either (a) not affect travel powers, or (b) be placed carefully, so as to avoid preventing new players from getting the badges on top of City Hall and the big Globe.

(a) would be best, but might be harder to code.

/JRANGER

People would use that to grief others.

Hell.  My old Robo/FF mastermind?  Six pets (seven with the Vet pet, eight with a Vanity pet).  Four toggles (Leadership pool, plus Dispersion bubble).  That's 21 points, just for me.

Worse, go with a Thugs/ MM - two of the pets have toggles, that'd be 25 points right there.

And let me repeat: people would use it to grief other players.

Are you suggesting that someone would intentionally powerlevel a Mastermind just to get Ms Liberty to kick everyone just for shits and giggles? Because if you are suggesting such a thing, then you're right. I would have to do it at least once.

One sudden thought:

Any Power Suppression field in Atlas Plaza needs to either (a) not affect travel powers, or (b) be placed carefully, so as to avoid preventing new players from getting the badges on top of City Hall and the big Globe.

(a) would be best, but might be harder to code.

That's a good point.  Why not just put a ceiling on the power suppression...10ft...

People already suppressed can just step outside Atlas Plaza, People swooping in won't be affected until they get w/i 10 ft' and that's not a big fall

Two Cents (may not contribute much to the discussion):

1) My favorite travel power is SJ (I love roof-hopping), but SJ is pointless in Atlas Park even during non-peak hours if you're on a full or almost full shard... jump... rubberband... rubberband... rubberband... land... 10ft from where you started.

2) I run all my secondaries with the minimal fx option if available... I do this for a reason... I like my costumes... I work hard on them... I don't want them cluttered with FX... I wish people in Atlas Park would at least ASK before they turn my costume into a walking fireworks show... with a slimy green bubble around it...

Wow.

Sometimes I guess I am a super-duper-genius, because I figured this one out years ago.

I stay out of Atlas Park, just like I stay out of Times Sqaure and avoid that corner in London where the people like to shout.

After login and a trip to the P2W, I only return if a mission forces me to do so.

It's easy to avoid the lag other players generate if you just stay away from the other players. :)

Not kidding, even a little,

Love MMOs, hate people.

If you are level 6 or higher, spend an extra minute to go to train with Back Alley Brawler instead of Ms. Liberty.

I've taken to doing this, especially when I'm on my laptop as it lags a lot worse than my PC.  For toons that have Flight and/or Hover I also make sure to hover above the trainer instead of trying to push and shove my way through the crowd.  The crowds alone are sometimes bad enough without all the pyrotechnics.  Please, people, turn your $#!@ off.

Heavy, man