Wiki etiquette?

Coin

So I use the Paragon Wiki....a LOT.

But it's out of date on a lot of stuff. The majority of it is fine, especially mission stuff, contacts etc, but there's a lot that is wrong now due to updates, such as badges, locations, new zone etc.

I was wondering, if someone were to set up a new wiki just for the Homecoming servers, is it bad form to cut and paste the relevant pages from the original wiki and then edit the stuff that needs changing? I know the original wiki is staying as is and I agree with that, if only for historical reasons, but ti's frustrating at times trying to find things out and we could do with a separate wiki for this set of servers.

So, would it be wrong to copy the original or is that considered as bad as plagiarism?

First thing I'd do is check and see if the Wiki itself has any rules or lisences that allow such a thing. If the license says it's ok, go for it.

Paragon Wiki uses GNU Free Documentation License...Here's the conditions (same License Wikipedia uses)

Material licensed under the current version of the license can be used for any purpose, as long as the use meets certain conditions.

[*]All previous authors of the work must be attributed.

[*]All changes to the work must be logged.

[*]All derivative works must be licensed under the same license.

[*]The full text of the license, unmodified invariant sections as defined by the author if any, and any other added warranty disclaimers (such as a general disclaimer alerting readers that the document may not be accurate for example) and copyright notices from previous versions must be maintained.

[*]Technical measures such as DRM may not be used to control or obstruct distribution or editing of the document.

I believing linking the to source article solves condition 1

I imagine if you add a section to the copied article that clearly defines the changes, without rewriting the source article, you would meed condition 2.  I'm sure are others to do this...

The new wiki must share the same license (which is free), solves for condition 3

Not really sure on condition 4, I'd have to dive deeper...

#5 just means, don't put a lock on the new content that stops people from editing or distributing the new wiki's content.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

As a wiki, is the point of it to be changeable for relevant information?  Perhaps I am misinformed on that one.

Well, Paragon Wiki is staying static since the game is "officially" dead.  With all the new servers popping up, and the major differences between SCoRE code and i24 code, and then individual server differences, there really is no way PW can service the "resurgence" community.

If we want a Wiki that's appropriate for Homecoming, then "we" (the players, not the Devs) need to start our own.  Decision #1 would be - do we create copied pages for EVERYTHING, or do we just create pages for things that are changed, and like to PW on those pages for the elements that haven't changed.

Like Echo: Faultline took several (not all badges) from Faultline, and the Dev's created more badges in Faultline to replace them.  So we'd need 2 pages, one for Faultline and one for Echo, and then (I suggest), link to the original page, but add the additional/changed badges on the page as well.

It's a shame, because PW is SO AWESOME...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

• City Council

"we" (the players, not the Devs) need to start our own

I believe PK has already done so, if you're so inclined. There are nebulous plans for an official wiki in The Future™.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

Stuff to chew on:

- Paragon Wiki should be considered static with the purpose being a baseline for all those to use on any server;

- PK is TRYING to get the old forums cleaned up and revamped with the main goal being to make old content easily searchable, but there's a fundage issue amongst other things to be solved(we probably melted the server :p);

- Homecoming has to be careful with what they do with old content and I'm pretty sure a more feature filled forum is somewhere on the board that they don't want to jinx themselves by posting;

- No matter What we do, anything beyond PW will likely only apply to us and the same goes for the other servers as the content wouldn't match. Even the Mids/Pines efforts made after Sunset will no longer be compatible with other servers as they delve into content creation/modification/correction.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Decision #1 would be - do we create copied pages for EVERYTHING, or do we just create pages for things that are changed, and like to PW on those pages for the elements that haven't changed.

This, any wiki we create will likely have pages that First link to PW followed by relevant changes as needed, but I'd advise against simply cloning as it's both a waste of resources and I'm sure it'll cause griefing somewhere.

Also, please don't trying nudging Titan into linking to other servers as we need them to stay the neutral party they are and abide by their wish to be so.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

The full text of the license, unmodified invariant sections as defined by the author if any, and any other added warranty disclaimers (such as a general disclaimer alerting readers that the document may not be accurate for example) and copyright notices from previous versions must be maintained.

Not really sure on condition 4, I'd have to dive deeper...

Pretty sure it just means that any and all disclaimers and notices must remain intact as a method of keeping your but from being smacked with a notice by the owner (because you'd be presenting it as if you owned it otherwise).

Copy and edit should be fine. The wiki is a versioning system, so it meets (2) by default. Add a single page that says "version 0s copied from paragonwiki under the gnu fdl". Add the fdl page. Go. If you want to be thorough, put a ink in the new wiki's page to the paragonwiki original as a footnote.

Note: IANAL, but IAAFSA (I am a free software advocate, and thus have more than passing familiarity with many of the licenses).

Here is what eabrace the admin for PW has to say

It's a brave new post-I24 world out there.  It's full of public and private City of Heroes servers springing up to host game clients that can evolve to suit whatever tastes their particular communities might prefer.

Paragon Wiki has always been a record of the official content of the game client on the live servers.  But there was only one version of the game, and the content on any one server was the same as the content on every other server (though the language it was presented in might be different.)  Going forward, that's no longer going to be the case, and eventually there are probably going to be disagreements about which server is "official" or not.

So, after some internal discussion on how we want to handle Paragon Wiki going forward, we've come to essentially this conclusion:

The state of City of Heroes/Villains as it existed on December 1, 2012, will continue to be the version of the game documented by Paragon Wiki.

While this decision may be revisited at some point, this is Paragon Wiki's policy for the forseeable future.  The wiki will remain a snapshot of a particular reference point in time.

Now, we understand that there is a significant amount of interest in documenting changes made on the new servers, and there are definitely ways to do that.  And Paragon Wiki can still help with that.

1)  The content of Paragon Wiki is licensed under open GNU.  Anyone can make a copy of Paragon Wiki and start their own wiki for their own server.  Wikis made this way can diverge from that point going forward to their heart's content.

2)  A server community may want to create a new wiki, but not copy all of Paragon Wiki, referencing Paragon Wiki for most content and only creating pages specific to their server where it's different.  This can easily be done by setting up an inter-wiki link on the new wiki and transcluding or linking to the content from Paragon Wiki.

3)  Or you can start your own wiki from scratch and go nuts with it.  That's cool, too.

https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13415.msg233361#msg233361

"we" (the players, not the Devs) need to start our own

I believe PK has already done so, if you're so inclined. There are nebulous plans for an official wiki in The Future™.

Yup, it's here:

https://coh-homecoming-unofficial.fandom.com/wiki/City_Of_Heroes:_Homecoming_Unofficial_Wiki

Nobody's done anything with it though, but it's there if anyone wants to. Go nuts! I'm too busy with life to contribute at this time.

I'm out.

- PK is TRYING to get the old forums cleaned up and revamped with the main goal being to make old content easily searchable, but there's a fundage issue amongst other things to be solved(we probably melted the server :p);

Yes, y'all melted the server. We need a new one. I'm going to try to justify to my wife paying for it out of pocket, but it might be a moot point. I have other ideas that I'm developing for an alternative to the database-bsased system that I was going to use to host the forum data. So, give me some time (work is actually busy for once now!), and I'll get the forums back again, in a searchable format. It's not a question of "if" for me, it's a question of "when", and that takes Time, the rarest of all resources.

You might notice that I'm not posting NEARLY as much as I used to. Again... Time.

I'm out.

Nobody's done anything with it though....

I'd love to get in there and add stuff, but fandom..... I cant see any content through the adverts. Better options surely?

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

I'd love to get in there and add stuff, but fandom..... I cant see any content through the adverts. Better options surely?

Once I have more Time™, and Project Spelunker is complete, I'd consider hosting a full unofficial one that starts with ParagonWiki as a base, but that's in the long distant future for now. Anyone else that wants to can sure step up and do the work. I know that it has to be done, and if nobody else is going to do it, I will, but only after getting back the old forums in a searchable manner, because that's my #1 priority for my free programming time.

I'm out.

I hope so, Fandom.com is pretty bad.

So paragon wiki uses https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki which is free.

Perhaps the devs could create a server for it with their host?

Not sure if you've got physical boxes or VM's on the back end, but if it's VM's it would pretty trivial to set up.

If physical boxes we could just add the cost of the hardware to the next donation round.

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster