Enhancements while leveling

I keep seeing people mention things in posts that make me think they're slotting enhancements in most stuff while leveling. I'm confused on how they get the inf for that while levelling with the double xp though. Is there some way I'm missing to be able to do that? Or should i not worry much about them until i get to/near max level?

I keep seeing people mention things in posts that make me think they're slotting enhancements in most stuff while leveling. I'm confused on how they get the inf for that while levelling with the double xp though. Is there some way I'm missing to be able to do that? Or should i not worry much about them until i get to/near max level?

Sell orange salvage and turn your merits into enhancement converters and sell those on the AH.

It's far more inf than you'd get through killing mobs anyway and it's let me give my level 34 shield/sword tanker mostly attuned enhancements and almost reach the def soft cap already among many other stories of making levelling a smoother experience overall than bumming aroud with generic IOs or SOs.

Though nearly being at the Def Softcap isn't as great as you'd think since right now I'm going through Night Ward and it feels like half the enemies there just flat out ignore positional defense. :U

"Titan/Bio scrappers are the stealthiest toons in the game."

"How's that possible? They don't have any inherent stealth and you'd never take concealment pool powers on them!"

"You see; they're perfect at stealth because nobody will notice if there's nobody to notice."

For me, I mostly just slot whatever comes to hand.

Once I hit level 22, I start slotting IO25's (which give 96% of the benefit of a +0 SO enhancement - an IO26 is exactly the same bonus as a +0 SO).

Occasionally, if I have a recipe and the ingredients, I'll slot a higher-level IO.

And since IOs never, ever expire?  Once I've slotted one, I'm good until I get to a level where I want to start thinking about Sets and final, end-game slotting.

And once I start putting IOs in, I start selling all the other enhancements that drop for me.

And, for INF?  play the market, kiddo!  I've sold single recipes for half a million INF - not much to a 50, but a damned lot for someone level 25 to 30.  :)  I wouldn't want to save the recipe (if it's a level 22 Set IO, in a set that runs 20-50?  I want 50s) ... and by selling it, someone out there on their 50 gets the 50 they want (through the magic of Wentworth's "eh,close enough" delivery system, hahaha).

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Nothing until 22 and common IOs after that. Use the market to fund things. I won't hit sets until 50, and I am happy with a build.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On my first character, I just slotted lvl 25 generic IOs until level 50, funded by selling some rare salvage I had earned (alternatively, use ~10 merits on enhancement converters and sell those). Every character after that one has done with enhancement drops until 22 and then started slotting attuned set IOs, this time funded by the billions of inf I have accumulated on my marketeers.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

If you use "leveling" enhancers, it's also worth noting that you can store them in a SG base when a character outgrows them.

Personally, my system is this:

Level 12: start slotting 15 basic IOs and keep filling empty slots with the highest level I can until...

Level 22: If the character is struggling, switch to 25 basic IOs. (More often than not, I'll use unslotters at this point, even though yes they are worth more than the low level IOs, they are worth less to me than the time to craft or try and get everything I need from the market >.>)

Level 32: If I didn't update at 22, or if I did but need to adjust power selections, respec, switch to 35 basic IOs. (toss all the lower level ones in to my base) From here out, I seldom use anything above a 35.

Level 50: Final respec to make sure I have my end game powers and number of slots. Slot any sets I have, filling in the rest with 35-50 basics which I unslot and toss in to storage as I get the set pieces I need.

Because I am an altoholic, I still spend a big of inf on every new char, because I have a lot of low level IOs slotted on alts. If I only ran one or two at a time, I would seldom have to spend any inf on an alt until 32, and even then not a lot until 50.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

My first 50 was a scrub for a while, then I used that character to supply inf and enh to the rest.

Nothing until 22 and common IOs after that. Use the market to fund things. I won't hit sets until 50, and I am happy with a build.

Why wouldn't you start slotting sets at 27? There are a lot of level 30 sets available...

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

I'm also part of the "slot level 25 IOs at level 22" crowd.  Funding this by turning a few merits into converts and selling those on the AH works fine.  Selling rare salvage also works.

Though... I recently discovered how great it is to have a character that knows how to craft IOs.  If you take the basic IOs and craft enough of them, you get merits that let you "memorize" the formulas.  This means that you can craft that IO again without needing a recipe and it cuts the base inf cost of the crafting.  You still have to buy the ingredients from the AH, but the actual cost to you is much, much lower.  For details, see here: Paragon Wiki Link

Yes, you're probably just as well or even better off just taking that character and farming for more inf to throw at the auction house with the same amount of time, but I like to feel like I'm saving money.

Once you hit 50 a few times, you'll have the influence to start slotting in the important sets for your character earlier, but if you're a new player, I'd just stick with basic IOs.

Why wouldn't you start slotting sets at 27? There are a lot of level 30 sets available...

Because you generally want your Set IOs to be at the max level possible for that set, in order to provide the max possible bonus%.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Because you generally want your Set IOs to be at the max level possible for that set, in order to provide the max possible bonus%.

Most people are happy to slot attuned versions of the IOs they need, which you can buy from the market for the same price as the regular version.

Mind you, if you want to boost these IOs at level 50... well, you can still slot attuned versions while leveling and then swap them out later for unattuned level 50 versions.  ^_^

Remember, you can get a FREE basic IO from doing the Invention tutorial at your local university.

I won't repeat what others have said here, since I basically follow the same procedure. I used to slot SO's and DO's and all that jazz back in the day, but if you consider the Inf you dump to constantly re-shuffle enhancements, you could just stick basic IOs in there for half the cost and they'll be effective forever. I would advise slotting in Accuracy & End Redux mods first, but that may be down to personal taste. Attacks aren't much good if you can't hit and don't have the endurance to use them.

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

Also, I have a number of alts, OCD, and have been known for builds to die in their 20s and 30s. The question isn't "Now that I'm in my 20s/30s, what sets am I going to slot," but "Will I care enough about this build to play it after hitting level 50?" I just don't want to invest into any sets that low. Common IOs are less to think about and I have characters who have all of the crafting badges so making them is cheap and easy. Far easier to have a bin sitting there with numerous level 25 common IOs versus low level IO sets. "Wait, I don't have a melee set? (shakes fist)."

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I'm also part of the "slot level 25 IOs at level 22" crowd.  Funding this by turning a few merits into converts and selling those on the AH works fine.  Selling rare salvage also works.

What I've been doing is to start with the five prestige enhancements for attacks, then use ten merits from what I get for exploring Atlas Park, Echo:Galaxy City, and Echo:Atlas Park to buy converters, which I dump into the auction house. With that for funding, I'll equip with level 15 IOs at 12, making more 15s until I hit 22, where I'll burn the level-20 respec to get all of them out and dump them into SG storage, replacing them with level 25 IOs, then stay with those while I level, picking up attuned set IOs as I can, then buying unslotters to pull out IOs and replace them with the sets when I get enough to fill out a power as my plan has it slotted, dumping the 25s back into SG storage. Then, as subsequent characters level up, they can hit SG storage for their 15s and (eventually) 25s, lowering the upgrade costs, with an ongoing cascade of common IOs to newer characters.

From what I have seen there are a couple things that lead to these discussions:

- A fair number of people have plenty of inf from high level mains, farming or marketeering that they can slot whatever they feel like (within reason) on new alts.

- Many people are taking advantage of the fact that you can buy 'attuned' enhancements that level with you from the same pool as regular crafted sets. Thus you can start slotting sets as low as level 10, know that they will always level up (or down, if you exemplar) with you; and if at some point you no longer want that set, you buy an enhancement unslotter and toss it back on the market or pass it to your next alt.

- People can raise Inf even on new accounts/alts simply by selling the early Merits they earn - earn merit, cash merit for 3 Enhancement Converters, sell Converters for 100,000 Inf each. Poof, easy money. Then you toss some affordable bids on the market for the IOs you'll be using in the next week and wait for them to fill. Poof, easy IO sets! Attuned ones, even.

- There are sets that go for 3 million and up, and sets that often sell for <200,000. People who are using them early on are most likely shopping around on the cheap sets.

Really, you get so little Inf at the lower levels even without 2XP that counting on it as a source for buying anything seems like a recipe for frustration.

You don't need to rely on Inf drops to make money. You can start earning millions before you've even killed a single enemy, by crafting cheap Enhancements and converting them to more expensive Enhancements. I go into how to get started in this guide, including instructions on how to bootstrap yourself up from 0 inf 0 XP to making millions within an hour of when you log into the game.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

You can start earning millions before you've even killed a single enemy

Technically, since you have to have a listing fee, you have to kill SOMETHING.  Unless there is another way I'm unaware of.

Get the all the badges in Atlas Park and you’ll get 5 merits. Go to the merit vender and buy 15 enh  convs and hit the AH. Boom 1.2-1.5 million inf. Without hitting a thing.

You can start earning millions before you've even killed a single enemy

Technically, since you have to have a listing fee, you have to kill SOMETHING.  Unless there is another way I'm unaware of.

Get the all the badges in Atlas Park and you’ll get 5 merits. Go to the merit vender and buy 15 enh  convs and hit the AH. Boom 1.2-1.5 million inf. Without hitting a thing.

But you need some inf for the posting fee.  You simply cannot sell anything on the AH without 1 inf.

Who run Bartertown?

If you actually read my guide, you'd see I addressed the influence matter.

[*] Go to P2W Store.

[*] Take free Inner Inspiration power.

[*] Making sure you have free Inspiration tray spaces, fire it off.

[*] Go to Freedom Corps person standing nearby selling Trainings and sell the Inspirations to them.

[*]Ta-dah! You've got Inf! Not a lot, sure, but more than enough to list some of the Enhancement boosters you got for the merits from getting all the badges in Atlas for 1 Inf each, which will get you enough Inf to buy an inexpensive Uncommon recipe and crafting materials to begin conversion.

Try actually reading the guide, huh?

I by now have collected a number of good lower level attuned IO set bits that I pass on to alts after capping and perfecting a characters build. Frankensetting attuned IO sets can allow a great amount of use out of minimal slots while lvling. the right mix can make 3 slots give as much as 3+ SOs at very early levels.

Usually its around 22 when I am starting to plug in lotg attuned global recharges that I start to really look at my powers and slots use a respec to clear out all the lvling bits for sets for specific set bonuses.

Huh, I learned something new!

I didn't read your P2W guide, since it is a QoL service that I mostly don't use.  I enjoy the leveling process, and frankly, it mostly makes an easy game too easy for me.  YMMV.

Oh, but I do buy the crafting table on every alt!

Who run Bartertown?

There's quite a few different ways. As Bentley said, passing enh to alts is effective if you have it. Using merits to get converters to sell is very lucrative as well, moreso than using them for enhancements almost every time. I also tend to slot nothing until near 20s, and at 22s I craft a full set of 25 IOs. This will save you a lot of money long term. After that I only replace those with attuned versions of sets I plan to use post-50, or occasionally a frankenslotted set or two on a main power.

Huh, I learned something new!

I didn't read your P2W guide, since it is a QoL service that I mostly don't use.  I enjoy the leveling process, and frankly, it mostly makes an easy game too easy for me.  YMMV.

Wasn't talking about my P2W guide, I was talking about the conversion marketing guide I linked in the post above. Which includes complete instructions, as I said.