So these new i25 power sets...

Vanden

How many of the powersets that weren't in the official game at shutdown were made by Paragon Studios, and how many have been cobbled together by the fans for these servers? For example, Psionic Melee looks like the real deal, but Radiation Melee and Tactical Arrow looks like it was pulled together from existing FX.

When I was on the Bree server last weekend I saw the Sorcery Power Pool available. I don't remember seeing any other new power pools, but I wasn't really looking.

Hey Vanden, nice to see you again! :)

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

• 1 month later

The following sets were ones that were definitely in some stage of development prior to the shutdown. The Martial sets were slated for release with I24 while the others were in earlier stages of development and had not been officially announced but were known about through data-mining.

Psionic Melee

Radiation Melee

Savage Melee

Martial Combat

Martial Assault

Radiation Armor

Wind Control was also known to be in development but isn't actually available on Homecoming.

I think the rest of the new sets are Blaster and Dominator secondaries right? I'm not sure if any of those were "official" or not but they all feel like sets that the devs might have made. Secondaries for both of those ATs tend to be cobbled together using powers from other sets anyway since both set types are essentially hybrids of two other set types in the first place.

Defender Smash!

I think the rest of the new sets are Blaster and Dominator secondaries right? I'm not sure if any of those were "official" or not but they all feel like sets that the devs might have made. Secondaries for both of those ATs tend to be cobbled together using powers from other sets anyway since both set types are essentially hybrids of two other set types in the first place.

Most of the uncomfirmed ones seem incredibly broken.  Toggles without costs all over the place, many of them doing way more than their official counterparts.  It honestly makes me extremely mad that they just unleashed this shit into the game.

Most of the uncomfirmed ones seem incredibly broken.  Toggles without costs all over the place, many of them doing way more than their official counterparts.  It honestly makes me extremely mad that they just unleashed this shit into the game.

Not sure why this is making you mad.  You don’t have to play the sets - and there are plenty of others to work with.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Play on a server that doesn't implement them, then?  HC servers aren't the only servers.  Maybe one of the others would suit you better?

Maybe you should demand they refund your sub, or visit one of the static i24 servers out there, or use the freely available code to make your own which wont make you "extremely mad".

Oh and they were confirmed, they just were not released, oh and cost free toggles were here too so thats an expansion on a theme, they were also moved onto the exisiting ones such as Field Agent (cloaking device) for example and as for "doing way more than their official counterparts" not one of these sets is considered overpowered.

If you get "extremely mad" when being provided with a free, long dead game with more content than live, well Im not sure what to suggest you do to "chill", perhaps look into medication?

So the lack of Endurance costs on the toggle applies to all Blaster secondaries now. When they went through and added Sustain powers to all secondaries they made those powers have zero end cost. So if you check Devices, for example, you'll notice that Field Operative also has zero end cost. This particular change was done by the original Devs, not the SCORE team.

Now are the rest of the sets as a whole OP? Yeah a little bit. I think Tactical Arrow in particular is a bit control and utility heavy for a Blaster secondary. However, I also think that Blaster secondaries as a whole were underperforming so in many ways I'd prefer to see the older secondaries bought up to the same level (the proposed beta changes to Devices being a good example)

Defender Smash!

So the lack of Endurance costs on the toggle applies to all Blaster secondaries now. When they went through and added Sustain powers to all secondaries they made those powers have zero end cost. So if you check Devices, for example, you'll notice that Field Operative also has zero end cost. This particular change was done by the original Devs, not the SCORE team.

Now are the rest of the sets as a whole OP? Yeah a little bit. I think Tactical Arrow in particular is a bit control and utility heavy for a Blaster secondary. However, I also think that Blaster secondaries as a whole were underperforming so in many ways I'd prefer to see the older secondaries bought up to the same level (the proposed beta changes to Devices being a good example)

Tactical Arrow is closer to Devices than it is any other Blaster secondary in that it forgoes damage for utility, in fact Tactical Arrows damage output is right at the bottom and given that blasters are damage dealers an argument could be made that it severely underperforms in its role. Indeed in terms of damage and team utility A/TA corrupter is potentially much better as Tactical lacks acid arrow, disruption arrow and oil slick arrow.

Tactical Arrow is solid, but its niche and far from overperforms in the context of the "older" sets.

Maybe you should demand they refund your sub, or visit one of the static i24 servers out there, or use the freely available code to make your own which wont make you "extremely mad".

Oh and they were confirmed, they just were not released, oh and cost free toggles were here too so thats an expansion on a theme, they were also moved onto the exisiting ones such as Field Agent (cloaking device) for example and as for "doing way more than their official counterparts" not one of these sets is considered overpowered.

If you get "extremely mad" when being provided with a free, long dead game with more content than live, well Im not sure what to suggest you do to "chill", perhaps look into medication?

Ditch the snark.  I hate to be a frowny cloud in this sunny day, but someone has to stop and say "Is it actually a good idea to dump unfinished stuff into the game?"

CoX was a well-balanced game.  I don't want to see that balance messed up by a green crew that, frankly, I don't trust yet.  And I wasn't exactly paying attention in the twilight hours of CoX, so I don't know what was or was not in development before the end, and seeing so many Blaster buffs at once was as alarming as it was worrying.  It didn't come across as "Paragon was going to do this," it came off as "Someone in the Homecoming crew is a Blaster main."  If I was mistaken, fine.  I still don't like the dump-it-all-on-live-as-is approach, and I still think some of the new Blaster stuff is overpowered, but fine.

I may not be investing money into this incarnation of the game, but you should know god damn well how invested we vets are emotionally.  But I get it, I'm not allowed to express my annoyances, that much has been made abundantly clear thus far.  Free game no bitching, or whatever.  Also, you should realize that this is the internet, and hyperbole is as prevalent as it is unintended, "extremely mad" is more like "exceptionally grumpy."

Yeah, the cost-less Sustain toggles were from the official I24 beta.  The new sets created by SCoRE simply follow the pattern.

From the official I24 beta patch notes:

The following powers have been retrofitted to include Sustain:

• Darkness Manipulation: "Touch of Fear" has been renamed "Touch of the Beyond". It now has an 80 foot range and provides its user with a significant Regeneration and Recovery boost for 60 seconds whenever it hits a target.
  • Fire Manipulation: "Blazing Aura" has been renamed "Cauterizing Aura". It now provides the user with a moderate Heal each time it ticks, as well as a significant Recovery boost while it is active.
  • Ice Manipulation: "Chilling Embrace" has been renamed "Frigid Protection". Its range has been increased to 30 feet. It now provides the user with a moderate Absorb shield each time it ticks, as well as a significant Recovery boost while it is active.
  • Devices: "Cloaking Device" has been renamed "Field Operative". It now provides the user with a significant Regeneration and Recovery boost while it is active.
  • Electric Melee: "Lightning Clap" has been renamed "Force of Thunder". It now provides the user with a significant Regeneration and Recovery boost for 60 seconds whenever it is used.
  • Energy Melee: "Conserve Power" has been renamed "Energize". It now provides the user with a significant Regeneration and Endurance Discount boost for 60 seconds whenever it is used, along with a small upfront heal.

Ditch the snark.  I hate to be a frowny cloud in this sunny day, but someone has to stop and say "Is it actually a good idea to dump unfinished stuff into the game?"

CoX was a well-balanced game.  I don't want to see that balance messed up by a green crew that, frankly, I don't trust yet.  And I wasn't exactly paying attention in the twilight hours of CoX, so I don't know what was or was not in development before the end, and seeing so many Blaster buffs at once was as alarming as it was worrying.  It didn't come across as "Paragon was going to do this," it came off as "Someone in the Homecoming crew is a Blaster main."  If I was mistaken, fine.  I still don't like the dump-it-all-on-live-as-is approach, and I still think some of the new Blaster stuff is overpowered, but fine.

I may not be investing money into this incarnation of the game, but you should know god damn well how invested we vets are emotionally.  But I get it, I'm not allowed to express my annoyances, that much has been made abundantly clear thus far.  Free game no bitching, or whatever.  Also, you should realize that this is the internet, and hyperbole is as prevalent as it is unintended, "extremely mad" is more like "exceptionally grumpy."

Nobody is disallowing you from expressing your annoyance, only the mods can mute you or whatever. You can post whatever you like. Don’t conflate disagreement with censorship.

As for your odd definition of ‘extremely mad’, it’s not our responsibility to assume you don’t mean ‘I am extremely mad’ when you say ‘I am extremely mad’

MCM

latest?cb=20101213012354

All kidding aside, why not see how it all pans out before blowing your top?  Reacting off the cuff is only going to raise your blood pressure and possibly make you leave for another server where you could miss out on some further development that you like.

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

You are absolutely welcome to express your opinion here, and more than welcome to disagree, but ponder this as you do:

It is a private owned server, maintained by volunteers, not paid staff.  And they are not volunteers for a social cause, but because the game, as it is right now, is fun for them.  The kindness they have extended to us is letting us along for the ride and to allow us to provide commentary.  And there investment is greater than yours, they too are all vets of the game, very much emotionally invested in it, but also having invested their time, money, and even exposed themselves to some legal risk.

Rylas summed up the best way to approach this recently

In these situations, it's best to question judgement, not motive. Even better still, not to stew over past decisions. Especially when this current team has been pretty great about hearing the communities concerns...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Yes, it is the Internet, and uninformed, snarky, attack language will get you what you sling.

You came in swinging, don't get all sensitive now.

And to top it all off, a ton of what you claim is easily proven false from cursory searching.

Finally, your emotioanl investment is yours to maintain ans cultivate.

The game runners nor the other posters here are the stewards of your emotional well being and investment.

So, if you have valid concerns abour specif power additions and changes, mad by the original team or not, please share.

Personally, I think the original team made some terrible choices and some really good choices.

The current state, IMO, has a number of really good choices added and a few that I don't like.

This is NOTHING new or different from any MMO.

Personally, I also think in repect for the team working to keep the servers running, it is to a degree our respnsibility as players to bring up up issues in the game that might point to 'broken' things, so if some power(set)s are are really off, we should point that out to insure it it is WAI, because everyone makes mistakes.

The server runners, as stated by others, are working as best they can, learning as they go, being rude to them helps no one.

Finally, this is no longer CoX. That is gone. Even i24 server have hands in the cookie jar. This codebase is it's own entity now that will grown and change, just like other rogue servers of MMOs past, so hold on for the ride, or hop off if it is not your thing.

The original developers and thier ideas were not/are not 'perfect' and things change.

The original developers and thier ideas were not/are not 'perfect' and things change.

I never claimed they were, only that after years of work they had the game in a good place.  If it was their idea to give free toggles to Blasters, then I won't defend them, I find it to be an absurd idea that skews balance.  Why does Martial Combat get Time's Juncture 2.0 for free while Controllers have to pay for a weaker version?  Why are these even toggles?  At this point, might as well just make them autos.  Why should melee classes have to pay for 3-4 toggles?  Do you see how this is a problem now?

Anyways, it's getting cramped at the bottom of this dogpile.  I'd prefer to let this die.

I never claimed they were, only that after years of work they had the game in a good place.  If it was their idea to give free toggles to Blasters, then I won't defend them, I find it to be an absurd idea that skews balance.  Why does Martial Combat get Time's Juncture 2.0 for free while Controllers have to pay for a weaker version?  Why are these even toggles?  At this point, might as well just make them autos.  Why should melee classes have to pay for 3-4 toggles?  Do you see how this is a problem now?

Anyways, it's getting cramped at the bottom of this dogpile.  I'd prefer to let this die.

So, there are changes you do not like in the MMO you like and other people like those changes.

You are under the impression these things, with no real proof, are unilaterally 'bad'.

You came onto the ofrum for that MMO and started in on the changes you don't like.

People disagreed.

Welcome to MMOs.

Perhaps you would like to write a nice piece on the things you think are bad, hopefully after research and void of assuptions, to offer to the current development teams?

I am pretty sure they are open to actual fleshed out ideas.

Some of the new sets are really incredible. If you want to deal big damage, bio armor in offensive mode far exceeds every other offensive armor, even ones like fire. However, it also is horrible for defenses in that mode.

Rad armor has amazing resistances with a tiny crash on its to, but gives very little to defense besides a couple aoe debuffs, that mostly affect enemy to hit values, and a single recharge buff based on being surrounded by lots of enemies. If you purely wanna tank hits, theres very little reason not to go Rad.

Rad melee/fire is at 50 a better farmer than spines/fire, but don't tell anyone I said that. What's even better is that rad melee both has just as good of aoe mobbing capability, but also three to four times as good single target, so you arent useless in any boss situation.

That said: titan weapons is still the highest DPS brute/scrapper primary at max. Elec armor is still the best balanced 'kills things fast but also tanks' secondary.

I dont know anything about blaster changes or their new sets, so I can't comment on that side.

Theres no snark on my part, Im just a bit of an a-hole but my points were valid in the context they were given but I will concede potentially unfair and latched on to a phrase you used.

Emotional investment is why a great deal of us is here and that shouldnt be used as a stick to beat you with so for that I apologize.

Some of the blaster changes SEEM crazy good but in full context and testing they are far from gamebreaking, most just allow for ease of resource management, the regeneration thats all over them doesnt do much to help survivability in a fight but does lower downtime in getting from one fight to the next, yes, these toggles and clickies are pretty much "must haves" but then, all sets have contained those. What we need to remember is that while it is all new to us, they have actually been in use for the missing 6 years for... how shall we say... certain clientele.

I understand grump, I embody it but I also run my own private MMO server (not CoH because I want to enjoy playing) and from my analysis I can see only pros and little cons in it, not that Im always right or anything, I can be quite, quite wrong. I had reservations and issues with iteration 1 of the proposed snipe changes but they addressed that so Im more on the side of waiting to see what happens. Most of what we have is what we would have had if NCsoft didnt pull the plug, its all information pulled from the files.

New blaster secondaries, which I am testing, are not any better than the old ones (*edit* not any better than the old ones REDONE that is) , just different, on their own they seem crazy good because its easy to miss the little changes to the older sets, the only one I think is a bit off is Frigid Protection which as it effects the enemy as well as yourself is going to be getting toggled off when you get mezed all the time.