Just an observation on how cheap this market is.

Murcielago

8 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I am still my old hoarding self.  I carefully save just about all of my yellow and orange salvage in my bases.  I use a simple filing system: I look through each salvage rack until I find what I need.  I don't farm, or rather, I farm task forces rather than AE farms.  I am finally levelling a fire/DB brute, so that may change.  I don't play for inf, either in markets or in farms.  I mostly buy recipes and ATOs with merits, because I have the merits, and they seem pretty pricey to me at the AH.

I'm normally a terrible hoarder, both in games and in real life.  Fungibility changed that completely for me in Homecoming.  

Once I got over my fears of anyone trying to corner the salvage market, I sell it when I can and I buy it when I need it or will need it soon(tm).  Sometimes I'll buy a few thousand of salvage if I think someone's trying to make a run (I was very suspicious of whoever was buying tens of thousands of yellow salvage at 860), but in general I'll take my chances.

In general, I like to store my things in the AH.  Not necessarily in MY AH slots.  I'll get other people to hold them for me until I want to buy them!  STORE YOUR STORES IN THE STORE.

Edited by Yomo Kimyata
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

10 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I am still my old hoarding self.  I carefully save just about all of my yellow and orange salvage in my bases.  I use a simple filing system: I look through each salvage rack until I find what I need.  I don't farm, or rather, I farm task forces rather than AE farms.  I am finally levelling a fire/DB brute, so that may change.  I don't play for inf, either in markets or in farms.  I mostly buy recipes and ATOs with merits, because I have the merits, and they seem pretty pricey to me at the AH.

I put pretty much any salvage in SG storage (which every member has access to) unless I am using it or the bins are full (then it goes to AH).

Once I decide on a final build for a character, my marketing game is to see if I can come up with everything for it within 48 hours or less from whatever resources I have access to. I’m 5 for 5 so far.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

STORE YOUR STORES IN THE STORE.

This is what I've arrived at as well.  I do keep three bins for high-level salvage and keep 8-9 pieces of each type in the white, yellow and orange bins.  This is just for convenience as I like to craft all the recipes that drop while farming, convert and sell them.  Then I refill anything that's low that I have on hand, ditch the rest and am ready for another farm run.  It's probably not efficient compared to just serial farming, but it's nice to have a break from it.

The only time I buy salvage is if I buy a set of 10 recipes with intent to convert them to something specific that sells well, or if I'm out of a rare for a purple or pvp recipe that dropped and I don't feel like waiting.

I remember the days on live of runs on specific useful salvage, and while I did some flipping myself just to see if I could, I don't miss it.  One thing I really like about HC is that there are ways to make money that are tied to doing something useful.  Farming and crafting the drops puts attuned IOs on the market, and that's good for everyone.

11 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I'm all about people doing whatever works for them. I would like to add though, if you buy purples with your merits, you can sell some of them between 20-25 million depending on the specific one and how long you wanna wait. So for 100 merits, you can get 1-3 ATOs.

I keep my salvage because A-I'm lazy and like having things at hand, and B-It gives me a kick to make a rare IO for only the crafting price because I already have everything I need.

My biggest change has been with set IOs.  I used to hoard nearly everything with the attitude, "But I might have a toon that needs it someday!"  Now, what with good drops and prices that aren't in the stratosphere, I sell a lot of them.  If an IO isn't in one of my current toons' build chart, it is gone.  I mean, I just checked and my L25 alt has 700 merits.  With recipes that used to go for 200 or 240 merits going for 50, I can get what I need pretty easily.

On 8/5/2019 at 5:19 PM, Myrmidon said:

As opposed to $60-70 for SBOs that could be bought and slotted over the course of the 1-50 run.

For me, the money was a much better investment than the time needed for the conventional method once such was available.

I am sorry but for me that was a case of self betrayal. You Rewarded the Devs for making the game worse, and encouraging them to keep making things that would force you to buy stuff.

It's much the way I never bought a character respec from them. They did get me for the booster backs that had costume parts and the temp travel powers. Rather sorry I paid for them now.

3 hours ago, TheAdjustor said:

Oh  I had this saved from a discussion on the old boards about how bad the market was

Yeah things were a little pricey

spacer.png

I'd be telling a lie if I didn't say that this brings back a little nostalgia for me.  I miss the days of big payouts (I got a Rag drop!!  Oh hell it's a proc.)  I miss 100mm+ profits on flipping a purple. 

Something I've come around on over the past decade though.  I still enjoy working hard for my imaginary currency, but I don't begrudge anyone else today who wants everything on a plate for free rather than "working" for it.  I do wish that there were some things you could get that were truly rare, because I used to really take satisfaction and perhaps even validation in feeling like I was doing "better" than others.  But I'm a decade more mature now, and I don't really care how your video game pixels line up in comparison to mine.  I used to play Diablo 2 with a really good friend of mine, and he would infuriate me by buying things on eBay.  "You have to work for that!"  But he was perfectly happy spending a few bucks to make his gaming experience better.  Different strokes!

Who run Bartertown?

On 8/26/2019 at 5:14 PM, TheAdjustor said:

Oh  I had this saved from a discussion on the old boards about how bad the market was

Yeah things were a little pricey

spacer.png

Back then, you could play the WW Stockmarket/Farming for Loot carousel, and I could just spend a few nickels and play without bothering with that hassle anymore (I gave away drops at that point because they were worthless to me). We use a money-convenience ratio in every aspect of our lives, so this is no different.

1 minute ago, Myrmidon said:

Back then, you could play the WW Stockmarket/Farming for Loot carousel, and I could just spend a few nickels and play without bothering with that hassle anymore (I gave away drops at that point because they were worthless to me). We use a money-convenience ratio in every aspect of our lives, so this is no different.

Would you play monopoly if players could pre buy properties by spending money  ? I was playing Neverwinter before COH magnificently rose again like a phoenix and saw really well just how degenerate that situation could become.

They (Neverwinter) offer you the opportunity to buy campaign completions. If you aren't familiar they had their level cap fixed so to make you grind for power they had boons and opportunities attached to tedious boring and time gated campaigns that for 25$ American so you could buy your way out of doing. Looking at that I just said no.

For all their kvetching gamers tolerate a lot. If they would say no more often there would be better games that didn't have the crap the majority of modern games have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAdjustor said:

For all their kvetching gamers tolerate a lot. If they would say no more often there would be better games that didn't have the crap the majority of modern games have.

I agree here. But, if gamers did start saying no to such extra charges, it would directly lead to games being a higher price point. AAA games have been $60 for about two decades now, while cost to develop has gone up significantly. So if we want the same number of AAA games at about the same rate, we're going to have to pay more in some way. Of course there are exceptions to such things, as indie games can be made cheaper and sell for lower prices generally and games like God of War and Legend of Zelda basically print money.

2 hours ago, TheAdjustor said:

Would you play monopoly if players could pre buy properties by spending money  ? I was playing Neverwinter before COH magnificently rose again like a phoenix and saw really well just how degenerate that situation could become.

They (Neverwinter) offer you the opportunity to buy campaign completions. If you aren't familiar they had their level cap fixed so to make you grind for power they had boons and opportunities attached to tedious boring and time gated campaigns that for 25$ American so you could buy your way out of doing. Looking at that I just said no.

Monopoly isn’t really a good example. In that game, players are directly competing with each other. In this game (aside from that joke of a PvP system), they do not.

I tolerated that old, shit Invention system because it was the only option. The moment I had a different one, I used it. Using an average of $65.00, I spent less than $3,000 over the course of a year. That was nothing compared to the wasted hours that Invention system took up.

1 hour ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

To my mind the food pellets don't taste as good if you don't run the maze 😛

I always, ALWAYS assume that whoever designed the game knows more than I do about what will entertain me.  When CoX introduced PvP and AE, I was all, huh, aren't we paying them to produce content for us?  So shouldn't they pay US for PvP and AE?

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

On 8/28/2019 at 3:45 PM, MunkiLord said:

I agree here. But, if gamers did start saying no to such extra charges, it would directly lead to games being a higher price point. AAA games have been $60 for about two decades now, while cost to develop has gone up significantly. So if we want the same number of AAA games at about the same rate, we're going to have to pay more in some way. Of course there are exceptions to such things, as indie games can be made cheaper and sell for lower prices generally and games like God of War and Legend of Zelda basically print money.

I don't mind paying for extra content, I just dislike the idea of developers adding content with the idea of making it painful enough that gamers will pay to avoid it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheAdjustor said:

I don't mind paying for extra content, I just dislike the idea of developers adding content with the idea of making it painful enough that gamers will pay to avoid it.

I did talk to them in the Freedom Beta about adjusting the Invention system to make it easier for Althing and such, however, the answer that I was given was that such a task would take six months to code, so it wasn’t going to happen anytime soon. After that, I just took the SBO route once it was available to me.

Im with you on that, however, I won’t pass up an alternate option it I like the outcome.

• 3 weeks later

Remember that the 'Live' iteration of the game had several hundred thousand players for the first couple of years before there WAS a Market. They had nothing to spend their Inf on (which is why you could buy Prestige with it) for all that time. After they hit 50 and had all their Enhancements, that was it. Along comes Crafting and the Market and now players with many BILLIONS of Inf want their toons slotted out NOW. They're the ones that paid 100k for an Alc Silver and 1 billion or more for LotG and such. I for one am glad that our Market was seeded. The players that don't use it can sell their stuff so they're happy. The people who buy the stuff are also happy. Players trying to dabble in the Market don't have to spend millions so they're happy.

• 2 weeks later
On 8/8/2019 at 2:12 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

I'm not so sure about this.  My memory of the market upon introduction was that when it started, it was perhaps hindered by ignorance of just how useful things like that Miracle Unique were.  Once all that set in though, it started climbing and kept climbing right up until shut-down.  I don't miss those days, you really had to be a market player to contemplate a good build.  Now, I can pretty much do OK just by playing the game.

And, my recollection is that when the market went live, there were a whole lot of costume pieces (IIRC all of the wings) that had to be bought on the market if you wanted a specific piece for a character.  Those sold for millions as well. At some point this changed. 

I never really went out for purples, but my mains all were set IOed with random drops or with recipes bought with merits. 

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 9/5/2019 at 2:13 PM, Sakai said:

SBO route?

Store-Bought Origin Enhancements. What you would call Attuned Enhancements now. They added the sets as attuned IOs months after the City of Heroes: Freedom beta testing (SBOs were in the game after that patch, they just hadn’t been turned on).

Edited by Myrmidon
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2019 at 4:27 PM, Heraclea said:

And, my recollection is that when the market went live, there were a whole lot of costume pieces (IIRC all of the wings) that had to be bought on the market if you wanted a specific piece for a character.  Those sold for millions as well. At some point this changed. 

I never really went out for purples, but my mains all were set IOed with random drops or with recipes bought with merits. 

I never really got into fully pimping out all my characters with purples either.   I did one or two of them, but that was about it.   The game is already easy mode as it is even with basic IOs, not to mention incarnates.  Purpling out just exacerbates that even more.