Power Boost not working on Ice Shield/Glacial Shield

Septipheran

I am playing an Illusion/Cold/Primal Force Troller and I noticed that my Ice and Glacial shields are giving my targets the same amount of defense, with or without power boost active. According to Mids, this should not be the case. I tested group invisibility as well and power boost seems to work as I expected with that, so it's only my ally shields that are experiencing the issue. I am not sure if this is working as intended or not, but just wanted to post about it in case it's not.

Unfortunately that might be by design. I took a look at the old city of data and those powers (and arctic fog) all seem to be tagged with "not affected by outside buffs/debuffs". I don't know why it's tagged that way, but that would explain why you're not seeing the power boost.

http://web.archive.org/web/20140821110550/http://tomax.cohtitan.com/data/powers/powerset.php?id=Controller_Buff.Cold_Domination

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

14 hours ago, Septipheran said:

I am playing an Illusion/Cold/Primal Force Troller and I noticed that my Ice and Glacial shields are giving my targets the same amount of defense, with or without power boost active. According to Mids, this should not be the case. I tested group invisibility as well and power boost seems to work as I expected with that, so it's only my ally shields that are experiencing the issue. I am not sure if this is working as intended or not, but just wanted to post about it in case it's not.

It's intentional.  The Cold Shields are prevented from being affected by outside buffs and debuffs. This is because they contain enhanceable +ResistDamage. If the flag that prevents outside buffs/debuffs was removed, +Damage buffs would buff the +Resistance offered by the shields.

As mentioned in this thread, Fade has enhanceable +ResistDamage, so it should also be prevented from being affected by outside buffs and debuffs, however it was not correctly set up with this flag. As a result, you can pop a bunch of red inspirations before activating Fade, and they will greatly increase the +Resistance it offers.

• Thanks 1

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

5 hours ago, Hedgefund said:

Can't boost Fade, you say?

Fade is bugged and is missing the flag that should prevent this from happening. Normally, a power that gives +Resistance and some other Power-Boost-able attribute will either:

A) Allow the +Resistance to be enhanced, but the whole power will be flagged to ignore outside buffs and debuffs. (Cold Shields, Reconstruction, Healing Flames, etc.)

B) Flag the +Resistance to ignore enhancements, but the rest of the power will benefit from outside buffs and debuffs. (Deflection Shield, Alkaloid, etc.)

Then there are some powers that forget to use either method, like Fade and Frostwork. And some that don't allow +Resistance slotting OR outside buffs, like Dominator's Link Minds.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

33 minutes ago, Trickshooter said:

Fade is bugged and is missing the flag that should prevent this from happening. Normally, a power that gives +Resistance and some other Power-Boost-able attribute will either:

A) Allow the +Resistance to be enhanced, but the whole power will be flagged to ignore outside buffs and debuffs. (Cold Shields, Reconstruction, Healing Flames, etc.)

B) Flag the +Resistance to ignore enhancements, but the rest of the power will benefit from outside buffs and debuffs. (Deflection Shield, Alkaloid, etc.)

Then there are some powers that forget to use either method, like Fade and Frostwork. And some that don't allow +Resistance slotting OR outside buffs, like Dominator's Link Minds.

Just curious, why do you say Fade is bugged?  Has a dev explicitly said so or is that just your reckoning based on precedent?

• 2 weeks later

IMHO, it does seem like it would be more desirable to make the resist element of the cold shields unenhanceable and thus allow power boost and PBU to function properly on the defense element.  If I'm understanding the above description of limitations correctly, that would work, yes?

• Like 2

• 6 months later
On 8/20/2019 at 2:31 AM, Unknown Magi said:

IMHO, it does seem like it would be more desirable to make the resist element of the cold shields unenhanceable and thus allow power boost and PBU to function properly on the defense element.  If I'm understanding the above description of limitations correctly, that would work, yes?

That's what I was thinking too. We need to be able to boost the defense on those shields. While we're at it frostork needs to have a heal component to it too like other dull pain type powers have, though I really think for how self-squishy you are playing cold that frostork needs to be made a pbaoe easily perma-able hp buff with a heal component or regen, or at least perma pbaoe hp buff. It's current version is pretty bad.

The only resistance Ice Shields get are to Fire and Cold, which cold is already capped without a single resist enhancement. Hardly worth giving Ice Shields the "cold shoulder" on the Power Up buff...

Edited by Solarverse
  • Haha 1

Agreed they NEED to let powerboost buff ice shields (at the very least make the fire/cold resistance in ice shields unenhanceable so this can be done). Since resists already need about twice the value to cap anyway it should really work for resistances also.

They also need to make powerboost work for regen and recovery buff powers. It can already boost actual heals and end gain/drain powers there is no reason it shouldn't boost those as well.

I could say the same for -damage too, but that gets into a tricky part that I wouldnt expect anything from.