Let's Rework Storm Summoning

Tubalcain

I rarely see anyone using Storm. It's pretty weak as a support role and subpar in damage and trying to use it for damage causes a bunch of random knockback. I know no matter how situational or flat out useless a power is there's gonna be someone furiously typing how that one specific situation came up for them once and that power was perfect in that moment and totally justified having the power sit in their tray for weeks on end never being used before or after that point. Which makes talking about changes like this difficult.

But I'm gonna do it anyway!

So here's some ideas for Storm Summoning

Gale: Increase the recharge, reduce the KB to KD, maybe give it minor to hit debuff

02 Boost: Give it some 10 foot splash healing

Hurricane: Knockback to a chance for occasional Knockdown. Remove the repell. Reduce the to hit debuff since it's actually useful now and doesn't need a massive debuff to lure people into it for the 5 minutes before they respec back out of it. Perhaps make it like Disruption Field where you can put it on allies. Keep the -range debuff and it'll be a darling ability for meleers of all kinds.

Lightening Storm: Have it follow the user, reduce the knockback to knockdown, increase the recharge time on it to balance it.

Edited by Tubalcain

Gale and O2 boost changes are somewhat fine - Gale could use some damage and O2 boost could be changed to a self & ally-heal PBAoE. Hurricane is more useful with the repel for herding minions in a corner (works especially well with wormhole or TP enemy). Lightning storm is fine as is.

If you read the troller forums, you'd see that Storm is popular as is. It requires a bit more skill and plays very differently from buff sets, but it is a good and popular set as is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Storm is a set much like Illusion in the sense that it's below average to average with just SOs, but it has an extremely high ceiling that can be achieved with IOs. I'd maybe look at reducing the endurance costs of some of the powers, but other than that I think the set is very good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Storm is fine. I could wish for being able to toggle off the repel component of Hurricane, but other than that it's fine.

Especially given that I've heard they're testing a change to the Overwhelming Force KB->KD converter IO on Justin that makes it global. As in, you slot it in one power and all of your knockback powers now do knockdown instead.

ugh storm is so much fun, and takes a little skill to play correctly. i was comparing powers to similar ones in other sets recently. and if O2 is boosted, then poison's heal should be too. but i guess they make sense as is and are comparable, if still different. gale is fine, and again, should be used pointedly like any cone power. great for forcing enemies into corners. and one slot to make it a KD power, if you want for yourself is no big loss for greater control. its a soft control soft buff soft debuff soft damage set. very well rounded. storm cloud follow would be the only thing, but its  basically a patch.

i personally probably wouldnt change much, as most sets could be 'better' in one way or another but they they all might just become OP or too easy and too similar. storm is a different kind of set, as mentioned, much like illusion. i have a good handfull of /storm characters, and i see it pretty often out and about xD

• Like 1

Let's not. For support sets, Storm is one of the BEST for damage. You get the -30% resist, and the damage from Lightning Storm and Tornado.

You may be confusing BAD Stormies with the set 'being bad' in itself. The only change I'd make is letting trollers pick between Gale/02. ANd that wont happen.

8 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

Let's not. For support sets, Storm is one of the BEST for damage. You get the -30% resist, and the damage from Lightning Storm and Tornado.

You may be confusing BAD Stormies with the set 'being bad' in itself. The only change I'd make is letting trollers pick between Gale/02. ANd that wont happen.

Either add some damage to Gale, or make O2 an AoE heal, or both... These two powers are the only two that kinda are on the sucky end...

But, yes, there are a lot of stormtroopers out there giving Stormbringers a bad name.

• Like 1

Storm is the most powerful support set in the game in terms of raw DPS.

I would like it if O2 Boost became a self heal or an AOE (including self) heal. In newer sets (Nature Affinity, Time Manipulation), ally heals also heal the player. Temporal Mending and Regrowth are two examples of this.

I actually like Gale the way that it is.

Hurricane is also good as is, but I wish that it had a lower end cost.

• Like 2

I think all ally heals in powersets should be replaced with PBAoE heals.

I like Gale, but it is too low damage and high end for low lovels to be comparable with other sets, and not worth having in your toolbar after level 10 too often.

• Like 2

All knock-back powers should have the option of completely turning knock-back off but add a damage bonus and add a small 'to hit debuff' percentage. If the damage is already strong enough, then at least give the player the option to simply turn off knock-back. 

Edited by Kendalls
  • Sad 1

No thanks. All these complete re-design suggestions have gotten way out of control. Maybe stop trying to completely alter the game that many of us played for 8.5 years? Storm's powers have a reason behind them and if you can't see that or play the set because of that... maybe the set isn't for you. 

On 8/26/2019 at 4:49 PM, Zolgar said:

Gale could use some love, otherwise, leave Storm alone >.>

Dude... Gale is one of the most powerful powers in the game. When slotted properly it's arguably OP.

With Sudden Acceleration or Overwhelming Force, Hasten, and a bit of recharge bonuses from IO Sets, you can pretty much just chain knockdown whole spawns and never let any of them stand up.

SCREW damage. It doesn't need it. It's one of the strongest mitigation powers in the game.

The only changes I'd make to Storm would be to let the player choose whether to have Hurricane repel or not, and possibly make O2 Boost AoE.

Edited by kelly Rocket

My 'some love' for Gale would be either a bit better damage or a bit lower recharge. Make it a little more useful at low levels, without really increasing the end game value much.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Storm is perfectly viable as is. IMO

/Storm is just different then the other sets requiring a more subtle touch at times. 

Every power in Storm has its backers - except perhaps O2 Boost.

I have seen /Storm defenders Tank with Hurricane.  

Storm is late blooming so most ppl give up before really seeing it shine.

In a KB friendly team or solo Storm is very powerful and with newer IO sets the KB can be adapted to most teams.

I really need to level up my Storm defender again.

We will all, of course, have different view points. With the top end powers in Storm being so good I dont see making O2 a pboa viable - it would make the set too good. Maybe if it had a really small radius on a Target? Even then.....

Seems like people either think Gale Blows or it is Awesome. It is fun in Crey's Folly blowing all those Warhulks and friends off the tops of building,

• Like 1

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

TLDR (for this whole thread) There are five points(ish)

• Storm requires more skill than other support powersets
  • Storm is a late bloomer
  • The two "problem" powers are Gale and 02 boost
  • Gale can be considered either great (fully slotted), terrible, or just one of the weak points in the set
  • O2 Boost is helpful on teams, useless solo, and the weakest point of the set. Making it PBAoE would be a fix, but may OP the set.
  • Like 3

Other than Hurricane, I think it is decent on Endurance. That being said, I think that having Hurricane a choose to use rather than an always on power is a good thing.

Lightning storm cost 31.2 end. Well worth it too. I wonder if any other power caps that?

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **