Bottom of the Barrel Challenge: Blasters

zenijos10

On 9/3/2019 at 12:05 PM, Jeneki said:

I wonder if you could play that like a Fire/Ice tanker: basically getting enemies to flop around on an Ice Patch, then dropping Ignite on them.

Yes. Yes you can. Well, at least back on Live you could. I had one, and it was fun.

18 hours ago, seaborndan said:

Would love to see an Assault Rifle/Plant Manipulation build, if anyone gets some spare moments.

Like. What would the theme of that even be? A hobbit with modern solutions? 😂

Anybody ever try dark/elec? Seems like the combo should work, but surprised there's only 1 lvl 50. I've played both sets (dark as a corruptor), but never together.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

2 hours ago, Uun said:

Anybody ever try dark/elec? Seems like the combo should work, but surprised there's only 1 lvl 50. I've played both sets (dark as a corruptor), but never together.

A primary built around cone aoe and a blapping secondary sounds altogether like too much work. I like the theme though.

Here's the updated list from today's post:

image.png.6d7ac7de2b4fcc43b4a95ff29eb7d7d9.png

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

8 hours ago, Uun said:

Here's the updated list from today's post:

image.png.6d7ac7de2b4fcc43b4a95ff29eb7d7d9.png

Many of these suffer from the same issue. A primary with cone aoe (assault rifle, beam rifle, dark, sonic) is always going to be a difficult fit with a blapping secondary (elec, fire, ice to a certain extent). Interesting that sonic/tac arrow is on this list meaning that is the least popular sonic combo, I don't see why that should be the case. /elec looks like it could use more love.

Elec's problem is similar to Elec (the primary): end drain just doesn't mean much. So without the draining that leaves its quality as a blapping set. The Sustain's not bad for a clicky, but if I'm going to punch and hold things why not just use atomic or something?

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2020 at 12:36 PM, Novacat said:

Elec's problem is similar to Elec (the primary): end drain just doesn't mean much. So without the draining that leaves its quality as a blapping set. The Sustain's not bad for a clicky, but if I'm going to punch and hold things why not just use atomic or something?

Sort of.  The problem isn't that end drain isn't powerful.  Ask anyone nailed by a Malta Sapper.  It's more that both players and mobs don't suffer any negative effects at all until below a threshold that is always at a value below a full bar.  Usually well less than a full bar.  Having 50 end rather than 100 end is pretty much the same in terms of dps (and running toggles etc) as having 100 end especially if your recovery hasn't also been effected.  Until your(or the mobs) end drops below an amount necessary to use your most end expensive attack(s) there's no detriment.  Same with health. My scrapper suffers no debuff or other ill effect for being at 10% health vs 100%.  His attacks hit just as hard at either value.  And that's the real issue for -end as an effective attack, particularly if not paired with -recovery. The effect is only magnified by an AV's greater base endurance and debuff resistances.

On 9/3/2019 at 1:02 AM, HelenCarnate said:

Oh also there is one set missing that no one has bothered with.  AR/Dark.

Allow me to introduce Dustin Dewindt (on Excelsior).

image.png.5918f9448308be6fa262dd2b50c20f9b.png

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

2 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

Allow me to introduce Dustin Dewindt (on Excelsior).

Made it up to 23 before I called it a night.  I got on a couple of good PUGs.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

I couldn't bring myself to roll a Dark/Electric, so I rolled Dark/TA instead. Rare, but not THAT rare. Up to lvl 20 now. 

I'll take the challenge. I'm going to take a break from my Web Build Planner, and roll a Dark/Elec blaster, because I need a break from coding and I think it's been a few months since I've ACTUALLY played. Going from FF/Elec Defender to Dark/Elec Blaster... it'll probably be an upgrade, to be honest. Because my "favorite" set to play has always been labelled as "masochistic" and "painfully slow", so I suppose changing ATs and powerset combos will be an interesting experiment to see if even this "gimped" build is going to be that much easier than solo-ing my Defender.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 1
I'm out.

I'm struggling with this AR/Dark build.  Just got to 27 and want to respec with level 30 common IOs.  So far, I've taken only Penumbral Grasp (mandatory T1) and Touch of the Beyond (T6 sustain) from the secondary, because everything else in the secondary is melee.  Everything in the primary is ranged, so there just isn't good synergy here.  Now I understand why nobody is playing AR/Dark: they just don't mesh well.

@Rathstar

My AR/Dark Blaster just hit 35.  I'm going to run the Black Scorpion patron arc for the Mace Master Epic.

(edit) Done.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar