A Question from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

• 2 weeks later

I'm really enjoying having content so freely open to me, so I would not want to lose that even if I was paying a subscription. For example, I love having access to pretty much all of the costume pieces in game, the option to create Epic AT's right away with no level restrictions, the ability to easily choose my alignment from Null the Gull, prestige powers available right out of the gate, and so on. 

Things I would like to see added would be:

1) New powersets

2) Balancing of existing powersets

3) New costume pieces

4) New story content

5) More levels beyond 50 or additions to the endgame systems

6) More epic archetypes that let us play as different hero/villain factions with perks like Skulls, Carnies, Knives of Artemis, and so on. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later

There's something missing in AT, i don' know how to name it but a IDF/Clock or something...

The power of the Praetorian are not exploit in the game or the effect, the sound and more are very fabulous.

So this is really a missing AT and these powers are already in the game but only by the NPC or Mobs.

Finaly, i think that make Incarnates trials in different difficulty will be fun (normal, hard, epic).

Sometimes i thought that's to easy with a good team so..think about it.

Thanks a lot.

I'm only recently arrived, but I'll put in my 2 inf.

Old problems with the game that were always an issue.  Endurance management is REALLY onerous and frustrating.  Really, it's what drove me from the original game, because I felt I was fighting my own powers more than I was fighting the bad guys.

I'm finding accuracy to be an issue now, but my characters are still low level, below 10 in most cases.  I expect this will improve, but something to help lowbies might be nice.

Finally, NAMES.  The real, significant problem to me is the inability to name my characters as I'd like.  Some system to allow us to use whatever name we want (excluding copyrighted stuff...) would be VERY welcome.

• Like 2

More costume/fashion pieces/materials/faces/hairstyles, I love costume customization!! Also can you guys pleeease make us pets/mounts and also more flying styles? Yes, more flying styles! XD

Edited by cohoriginal

On 9/7/2019 at 10:13 AM, Jimmy said:

Hello everyone!

Today we have a simple question for everyone: What do you want to see out of a legitimate, licensed City of Heroes server?

As a caveat, this thread is not a Q&A and we won’t be answering questions here. We’re primarily looking to gather everyone’s thoughts and feedback about what they’d like to see from us going forward - both operationally and for the game itself!

- The Homecoming Team

Wait, this is licensed? Or is it going to be licensed? Would you be able to explain more about that? But as most said, I'd like to see some new content, maybe some new classes, story driven things maybe, just something new 😄

6 hours ago, Ozarlin said:

Wait, this is licensed? Or is it going to be licensed? Would you be able to explain more about that? But as most said, I'd like to see some new content, maybe some new classes, story driven things maybe, just something new 😄

Given the existence of the NDA about the talks, with no indication that it's been lifted, there would be nothing that could be said in that direction. However, you could read into this question the belief among the HC staff that the talks were going well enough that they expect to receive some sort of blessing for the continuation of the servers, and are planning for the futures. Or that NCsoft continues to be inscrutable, and the HC staff is just looking to get a feel of the playerbase while nothing is going on. Hard to tell from the outside.

However, viewing it with possibly unrealistic hope about the outcome, it does seem to be the most "We're not going to say anything about the state of the talks, but we're confident enough about them to want to make plans for after we get formal legitimization" statement from the HC staff that we could expect without them hitting up against the NDA itself.

4 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Given the existence of the NDA about the talks, with no indication that it's been lifted, there would be nothing that could be said in that direction. However, you could read into this question the belief among the HC staff that the talks were going well enough that they expect to receive some sort of blessing for the continuation of the servers, and are planning for the futures. Or that NCsoft continues to be inscrutable, and the HC staff is just looking to get a feel of the playerbase while nothing is going on. Hard to tell from the outside.

However, viewing it with possibly unrealistic hope about the outcome, it does seem to be the most "We're not going to say anything about the state of the talks, but we're confident enough about them to want to make plans for after we get formal legitimization" statement from the HC staff that we could expect without them hitting up against the NDA itself.

I did some searching into it earlier today after writing this posts, apparently they've made great strides recently in the negotiations (I'm guessing that means it's going pretty well). If they get the official go ahead from NCSoft, who knows where they could possibly take this game. They'd practically be able to officially bring it back from the dead, release some story expansions, so on - Which would be really cool too

On 3/9/2020 at 6:08 AM, Ultimo said:

I'm only recently arrived, but I'll put in my 2 inf.

Old problems with the game that were always an issue.  Endurance management is REALLY onerous and frustrating.  Really, it's what drove me from the original game, because I felt I was fighting my own powers more than I was fighting the bad guys.

I'm finding accuracy to be an issue now, but my characters are still low level, below 10 in most cases.  I expect this will improve, but something to help lowbies might be nice.

Finally, NAMES.  The real, significant problem to me is the inability to name my characters as I'd like.  Some system to allow us to use whatever name we want (excluding copyrighted stuff...) would be VERY welcome.

I like the names idea! Like maybe a random name generator like what other games have, except like Warcrafts where it won't give you a name that's already taken?

1 hour ago, Ozarlin said:

I like the names idea! Like maybe a random name generator like what other games have, except like Warcrafts where it won't give you a name that's already taken?

The system I suggested was that they make use of our @handle as part of the name to make it unique.  So, my character "Ultimo" would actually be "Ultimo@Ultimo1" though you wouldn't see the @Ultimo1 part.  This would allow someone else to use the name "Ultimo" if they so chose, since it would actually be "Ultimo@someoneelse" as far as the surfer is concerned.

Lots of other games use this system, including Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Elder Scrolls Online, and so on.  I'm no programmer, but I don't see why this couldn't be done here.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Ultimo said:

The system I suggested was that they make use of our @handle as part of the name to make it unique.  So, my character "Ultimo" would actually be "Ultimo@Ultimo1" though you wouldn't see the @Ultimo1 part.  This would allow someone else to use the name "Ultimo" if they so chose, since it would actually be "Ultimo@someoneelse" as far as the surfer is concerned.

So which "BogStandardCommonName" are you sending your email to when there are seventeen different people whose enjoyment of the game would have been utterly crushed by not being able to use the one name in the entire universe of possible names that their character had to have in order to be playable? Sure, if you're replying to someone in chat you can do it by clicking on their name, the game can handle it for you behind the scenes but what do you do if you don't have that crutch -- you have to type in the name by hand in email, or if they haven't said anything in chat? More things that the HC staff has to rewrite just to keep people from pitching a fit over someone else getting the One True Name for their character first and ruining everything for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2020 at 9:39 PM, srmalloy said:

So which "BogStandardCommonName" are you sending your email to when there are seventeen different people whose enjoyment of the game would have been utterly crushed by not being able to use the one name in the entire universe of possible names that their character had to have in order to be playable? Sure, if you're replying to someone in chat you can do it by clicking on their name, the game can handle it for you behind the scenes but what do you do if you don't have that crutch -- you have to type in the name by hand in email, or if they haven't said anything in chat? More things that the HC staff has to rewrite just to keep people from pitching a fit over someone else getting the One True Name for their character first and ruining everything for them.

Clearly trying to be sarcastic, it's not effective in type.

In any case, it DOES work just fine in other games.  If you needed to send me an email and I was playing one of seventeen Ultimos on the server, you would send it to Ultimo@Ultimo1.  If it was a character named Crusader, you would send mail to Crusader@Ultimo1.  If someone else was using the name Crusader, you would send it to Crusader@someoneelse.  It's really not that difficult.

Now, I'll grant that to many, the name of a character isn't important.  To some it IS.  That it's not important to YOU doesn't mean it can't be important to someone else, and it does not mean the developers (administrators?  whatever...) shouldn't consider the needs of those people too.

9 hours ago, Ultimo said:

Clearly trying to be sarcastic, it's not effective in type.

In any case, it DOES work just fine in other games.  If you needed to send me an email and I was playing one of seventeen Ultimos on the server, you would send it to Ultimo@Ultimo1.  If it was a character named Crusader, you would send mail to Crusader@Ultimo1.  If someone else was using the name Crusader, you would send it to Crusader@someoneelse.  It's really not that difficult.

Now, I'll grant that to many, the name of a character isn't important.  To some it IS.  That it's not important to YOU doesn't mean it can't be important to someone else, and it does not mean the developers (administrators?  whatever...) shouldn't consider the needs of those people too.

I have no doubts about the fact that it is important to you, and a lot of other players too.  However, these guys are doing for free what a much larger group of developers used to get paid to do as their main jobs.  They have a LONG list of important things to attend to in the game, and while this might be on the list, there are likely a lot of things ahead of it in priority, in addition to their attempting to balance what they do for us vs. their real jobs/families.  All we can do is make sure it's on their "wanted" list (which has a thread of it's own), and they'll get to it if they can. 😎

What was no more, is REBORN!

We desperately need a better "convert" UI when converting enhancements. The "In Set Conversion" is fine, preferable even with a simple click the choice and you are good to go. However the "Out of set conversion" one is horrible needing to also select the drop down for selecting between rarity or category... it always defaults to the top one, rarity; but when converting multiple times for category, having to always click the dropdown and then the second choice makes errors in clicking a high percentage when doing a lot of them. Daily I find myself accidentally forgetting to click the dropdown or missing the click during the monotony of multiple conversions...

Solution: Simply have 3 possible clicks at the top, In Set, Rarity, or Category (kill that dropdown 2nd selection needed); and have it default to whatever the last selection was. Please address this, I know I have lost hundreds of millions of influence because of this... Thanks

17 hours ago, Ultimo said:

So you're running around the city, and you see the character with "Ultimo" or "Crusader" over their head, and are somehow magically granted the knowledge that this is 'Ultimo@Ultimo1' and not one of the other sixteen Ultimos? Because that's what virtually all of the "Make names non-unique" requests boil down to; they don't want to run around as "Mr. Superior@SomeGlobalName", they want to run around as "Mr. Superior".

Oh, and I happened across a Kickstarter project that had me do a little digging; under the prohibition on using copyrighted characters, Canadian Shield as a character name may be off the table entirely, having been in his own comic published by Little Runt Comics in 1995, and currently the subject of a Kickstarter project by the creator under a new publishing house.

15 hours ago, Abraxus said:

I have no doubts about the fact that it is important to you, and a lot of other players too.  However, these guys are doing for free what a much larger group of developers used to get paid to do as their main jobs.  They have a LONG list of important things to attend to in the game, and while this might be on the list, there are likely a lot of things ahead of it in priority, in addition to their attempting to balance what they do for us vs. their real jobs/families.  All we can do is make sure it's on their "wanted" list (which has a thread of it's own), and they'll get to it if they can. 😎

Oh, I'm not suggesting that this is something that should be a priority, just that it should be on the table.

23 hours ago, Invincer said:

We desperately need a better "convert" UI when converting enhancements. The "In Set Conversion" is fine, preferable even with a simple click the choice and you are good to go. However the "Out of set conversion" one is horrible needing to also select the drop down for selecting between rarity or category... it always defaults to the top one, rarity; but when converting multiple times for category, having to always click the dropdown and then the second choice makes errors in clicking a high percentage when doing a lot of them. Daily I find myself accidentally forgetting to click the dropdown or missing the click during the monotony of multiple conversions...

Solution: Simply have 3 possible clicks at the top, In Set, Rarity, or Category (kill that dropdown 2nd selection needed); and have it default to whatever the last selection was. Please address this, I know I have lost hundreds of millions of influence because of this... Thanks

I've also been really frustrated when I've accidentally converted by rarity instead of category.  My suggestion would be to have a slider like you see in the Options window on the Out of Set conversion side.

On 3/9/2020 at 5:08 AM, Ultimo said:

Can we try enforcing the Name Release Policy? Characters level 1-5 would be flagged as inactive after 30 days and characters level 6-20 would be flagged as inactive after 90 days.  As of March 2nd there were 1,207,409 characters of which 330,397 have logged in in 2020. March 30th is the 90th day of this year.  There's a large number of names that could potentially be released. 

• Like 1

May I suggest two things. 

1) Make a purchasable (With Inf) instant 50 token.  Suggested price 100 mill.  You can accommodate this with existing code as it is part of the admin tools gifted sometimes to players by old GMs. 

2) I would like to see incarnates developed.  I previously made my suggestions on this in another thread.  Maybe someone can link them here.

Edited by candles flame

I'm not gonna go into great detail about the name thing because its been a thing since the beginning of live but I like it just the way it is and I've played all the games with the other name options and did not care for them at all this is my opinion. Plus I'm still amazed at the names I can still get and build my AT, powerset, story, and costume around that very name!!! Soooooooooo people seriously just do your due diligence and concede to the one word in the awesome Led Zeppelin song dancing days...

You know it's alright
I said it's alright
You know it's all in my heart
You'll be my only
My one and only
Is that the way it should start?
Dig!!! <---- this one 🙂 my copy and paste foo just had to use the whole lyric it goes with the idea of all the related posts 🙂 

Edited by Fire Chief

Bill3.jpg.f1ff7a242b7765691cf45caa5d829f5a.jpg

My DA page

—“too soon old, and too late smart.”  

The "Generations" concept of, max level to achieve to Give a power set ability to another starting character not normally available, or further divided by, distinct powers available to that new character from its Last Generation. You could of course further divide easier available or distinct improvements UPON that skill, Range, number of targets, casting time, inherent recharge, so fourth. Instead of endlessly trying to juggle IO's and so fourth to empart valued changes in builds.

Thus, you incorporate LONG chain Generational Character builds unlike any other.

THIS is the future of long term CoH villainy or heroism. Making the journey, the full extent of time into the game and development of characters TRULY fully customizable.

Further you could limit the Archtypes to a single time in a generational chain. So now you have the mixture, creating an end result differing from others. Some may feel stunted with certain archetypes but of course wish to see its inherent powersets or ability even ending on a particular effect further down the chain.  The possibilities would then extend into The WOW factor.

Also.. have to say, and Im not a fan anymore of the content but... Eventually, this would make PVP look a lot crazier. As well as level shifting missions could equally throw numbers or stats far beyond the usual content, as you could make NPC Villains with generational build random pools as well. *shrug* Thats my two cents of conceptual changes.

*** Also, your AV's encountered by Generational characters in missions would have a pool of reward commensurate to that of

the level of generation the mission/tf was started with. You of course could tailor them yourselves or for missions tailor them more into the rando generation style. The reason I add this on is because AE stuff as being the only farming of cash.. takes away from group activity and variety. Or you could of course.. sigh.. include the pool generation or reward generation into the AE, but.. honestly I think it just steals from the community and the individual willing to mind numbingly engage in such.

Edited by amidthechaotic

On 3/16/2020 at 10:06 AM, Invincer said:

Yesss!!! I've been saying this, and was about to post it, may still if i don't find an actual post for this. This needs updated asap IMO. Just so it remembers what you selected from the drop down, or just give a 3rd radial choice, in set, rarity, and type, instead of lumping the out of sets together with a drop down. Whichever is faster to code and get live. Heck instead of the drop down, just make that the space that says "type conversion" and above it have it say "rarity conversion."

Edited by WindDemon21
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later

You folks do an awesome job and as someone who bought the boxed game in 2004 I appreciate being able to play now more than ever. You have every player that has their idea of a great set. Based on a points system and maximums, what about a build your own powerset ability. Name it, use preset bonuses that have mechanics already in place with max values. ie; Metal armor that has defense towards Lethal Smashing and resistance as it deflects towards the rest. However it is susceptible to heat and or cold. I can check mark the values and features it has based on a preset. Wouldn't be 'better' than using for instance Ice armor and calling it metal but would be unique. 

Or... 

Build my own single enhancements. They would be neat and unique like Hami's. Accuracy/Stun or Heal/Range or whatever isn't already out there. This could be done at the crafting table for the cost of ... a lot. Again would be unique to me. 

Or... Just keep things rolling. I am not a programmer just a fan, so I am going to keep playing and enjoy either way. Thanks again,

Molten Metal Man.