A Question from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

On 8/12/2020 at 12:23 AM, FoulVileTerror said:

I will add, @UltraAlt, that some of the people who support this game do so out of love for what the game could -possibly- become with additional development.  There's a lot of untapped potential that's here.  Granted, reading through the General and Suggestions/Feedback boards for the past year and a half'ish, the hows and whys of the whats for that potential are quite diverse and even divisive.

You make a lot of fine points, but I think it's important to remember that there is no shortage of community members here who still want to see more changes made, and that doesn't diminish their love or passion for this game in any way.

I don't think it's necessary to point out that those that disagree me love or have passion for the game. They wouldn't take time to post their views if they didn't.

Are you trying to indicate that I don't have love or passion for this game? Why would I have taken time to post in the forums if I didn't.

If we are talking about "potential", then I think that lies in the level experience and not the end-game experience. I can voice that as my own view and others can voice their own views.

The longevity of this and any MMORPG is a good gaming community, gaming with friends, and diverse play experience.

I believe that COH is the first game that allowed MASSIVE Alt creation in order to explore the game fully.

I understand full well that some people simply want to play one character, game with the same people all the time, and play at the very tippy-top of the end-game. 

That being said, the tippy-top of the end game is the top of the pyramid and there are few players there. 

Where are the mass of players in Homecoming now (as I see it - I shouldn't have to say that), above 50 and below 1/2 way to the tippy top.

Players conditioned to not want to play lower levels for some reason. I'm assuming for some that it is simply a matter of having all their powers unlocked. I can see that, but don't agree with it.

I will say that even content heading on level 50 is an issue for me due to all the flashing lights and simply not being able to see what I'm fighting most of the time. It turns into relying upon the targeting window and cycling powers, and that simpy isn't as much fun to me as the leveling experience, learning how to interact with new powers and Pick-up-group teammates.

To each their own. 

I don't need to be told that other people love the game that I love for different reasons. That's a given.

And, yeah, I'm being defensive because I feel like I was attacked.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

It's been a little while, so my memory's spotty on my original motivation for that post, but I believe my intent was to use yours as a springboard to address those additional points for the benefit of everyone else who's reading this thread.  Not trying to suggest that you don't believe the points raised, but that they didn't appear to be explicitly brought up in your post, and I just wanted to add them.

I do my best to avoid attacking people, and I apologize for failing to make my words reflect that.

Content

I never got around to exploring all the content that existed, so I just want to be able to keep playing the game for the next years. Only got to level 49 on live.

New content is nice though, especially if it finishes existing story lines.

I would take new powers, abilities, balancing and such at a slow pace, I would want to keep the game recognizable for what it was.

Some more immersion. Weather, stuff you can do while out on the streets, interaction with the citizens, stuff that varies by time of day, or day of the week.

Development

I would like the development to be set up in such a way that we can contribute. Me and several my friends are proficient coders/software engineers, albeit with busy jobs, and I would love to just be able to submit a bugfix for a problem I encounter.

Some updates to the graphics engine and some of the in game graphics would be nice. Not a complete overhaul, but maybe a fix for the weird lighting issues between inside/outside, some textures, and in the long run a few more polygons here and there, especially the oldest content.

I would really like to see continued support for Mac and Linux, and I'm willing to help with that when I can.

Operations

I am happy to pay a monthly fee, just like I used to. But I would prefer my friends who might not all want or be able to contribute, can access all the content.

Please don't put any content behind a pay wall, I thought that putting Going Rogue/Praetoria behind a VIP account on live, was a very stupid thing in the past, as it was some of the most enjoyable content in the game and a great selling point.

Community

One of the best things about CoH has always been the community and the friendly and helpful atmosphere. Your resources will be limited, but trying to keep the community and build upon it will be important. I've already got 3 people to play the game who have never done so before 2020. Remove toxic players, fight hackers, and work on recruitment through the existing networks people have.

Edited by RogerWilco
  • Like 3

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

On 9/7/2019 at 9:13 AM, Jimmy said:

Hello everyone!

Today we have a simple question for everyone: What do you want to see out of a legitimate, licensed City of Heroes server?

As a caveat, this thread is not a Q&A and we won’t be answering questions here. We’re primarily looking to gather everyone’s thoughts and feedback about what they’d like to see from us going forward - both operationally and for the game itself!

- The Homecoming Team

More storylines

Enemies that challenge even fully kitted out incarnates.

AT Based storylines.

Do something with Kallisti Wharf

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later

Pipe dream would be to have the battalion/coming storm come to fruition. Also the incarnate system fully realized.

Realistically i would love seeing story content utilizing some under represented enemy groups. Wyrven, legacy chain, goldbrickers, warriors,  knives of artemis. Some of the later addition story arcs on both red and blue side can be the highlight of the leveling experience. Some of the old hero zones could use cohesive story arcs...like faultline received.

I would love to see a world War II time travel trial/tf. 5th column and nemesis...games been desperate for something like this since launch. Also more 5th column content. Everyone likes punching fascists. Story arcs might be the same but the council feel like the store brand version of the 5th column. 

Also a zig prison break trial. The building is just sitting in brickstown not being utilized.

Might be out of left field..devouring earth need more variety of bosses.

• Like 2

I'd love to see Faultline fully redeveloped or at the very least, more progress made. That & zones like Boomtown restored to being a full city again too. I know that bases aren't at the top of the list, but I feel like that if the base building system was expanded upon to allow us to create full sized zones with a much higher item count, entire skyscrapers as items, etc, the sky would be the limit. I know why we have the limitions & the reasoning behind them, I'm just saying what I wish we could have.

I'd love to see some quality of life updates on the costumes.  

For example, I'd like to see Masterminds get to choose the costume slot for all their pets - rather then just clones of their current worn costume. You can swap the worn costume without the henchmen changing currently, so I don't see why this should be a big change.  It would make a huge difference to those of us who like making themes however, especially if you could choose a costume slot for each pet!  With that small change, I suspect you'd get a whole lot of people excited about what they could do with their squads.  You want a royal guard for your Princess, Lord or King character? You could make them Thugs, Mercenaries or Ninjas, but dressed up!  There's a whole lot of things that would open up to those who like customizing and themes.  

It would also be nice to see a bigger range on the sizing of toons.  It might be nice to have pixies and fairies that were closer to actual pixie and fairy size!  Or a dwarf tank - actually the size of a dwarf? 

More faces and hair styles for male and female of course would always be welcome.  I greatly appreciated the choice Homecoming made on making all the costume parts available when you create a toon, rather then unlocking them after the fact with recipes or merits.   I think most people would rather create the toon look they wanted while creating it, instead of being forced to buy a recipe, create the recipe, then go to ICON after the fact just to get the look you wanted from the beginning.  Good on you all, for that choice!

Content wise, like many others, I think  it would be nice to continue the story of Battalion and the Coming Storm.  I also wouldn't mind more Shadow Shard things. 

And maybe revamp the Synapse task force, like what was done with Positron?

• 4 weeks later

I'd honestly like to see harder enemies using more power sets or something custom players don't get. Right now at 50 + incarnate stuff, there's really not much of a threat or sense of challenge/danger outside of some of the Incarnate trials. Status effects are a non-issue when you have enough set bonuses you can just tank them, and holds vs any sort of melee char...the enemies may as well not bother.

I'm not too sure what can be done, since nerfing isn't the...right call in this situation, especially since it would have people calling for the guillotine.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, I feel challenge and content (as in stuff to do/story/new enemies) is my own personal top thing. with powers and such being a bit further down.

Like mission variety, I'd like to see defend objective stuff, like as an example, the cape mission where you have to protect and item from the rikti destroying it. Or civillian rescue missions where they can die from enemy attacks rather than just sitting there cowering.

Heck more enemies like Longbow Nullifers would be nice to, make some of us pimped out IO users sweat a bit

On 10/17/2020 at 4:49 PM, Vandegraaff said:

Pipe dream would be to have the battalion/coming storm come to fruition. Also the incarnate system fully realized.

Realistically i would love seeing story content utilizing some under represented enemy groups. Wyrven, legacy chain, goldbrickers, warriors,  knives of artemis. Some of the later addition story arcs on both red and blue side can be the highlight of the leveling experience. Some of the old hero zones could use cohesive story arcs...like faultline received.

I would love to see a world War II time travel trial/tf. 5th column and nemesis...games been desperate for something like this since launch. Also more 5th column content. Everyone likes punching fascists. Story arcs might be the same but the council feel like the store brand version of the 5th column. 

Also a zig prison break trial. The building is just sitting in brickstown not being utilized.

Might be out of left field..devouring earth need more variety of bosses.

Man, some storylines with the underused groups would be nice, especially if they all  got an AV leader sort like how the Sky Raiders have Castillo

First of all, I love this game.  I wasn't able to play it when it was live, and I cancelled everything when I heard CoH was back.  I've played daily since re-launch and don't wish for the game to go away.  That being said....

I would like to keep the game free to play if at all possible.  Donations seem to be going well for them, and it's likely best for the game.

Keep the game out of NCSoft's hands.  History will only repeat itself there.

Other than the main two thought, new costumes, new powersets, new stories, new incarnates have been touched upon already and I don't think they need to be added to.

I love the community as well.  Not only are the players lovely to get along with, but the GMs are approachable and can be RPed with when spotted (reading a story from the pages of Gm_Arcanum's avatar was gold).

• Like 1

. I would like to see weather, Rain, Wind, Snow....well you know what weather is 🙂

. Your own avatars theme song playing when a mission ends and when you level up.

. Retexture the world to make it look less.....Minecraft'y.

. Emblems on capes, jackets and the avatars back.

. Zones connected to new missions and villains, ponder Aquaticland, Hyperborealand and space stuff; can't have a superhero game and no space   stuff.

. More powers, powers, powers and archetypes.

. No avatar wipe.

. Obviously willing to pay a sub every month.

. Maybe 10-20 more lvls from 50 to 60/70 ( revamp incarnate system )

. Animated face expressions.

. Voice acting for NPCs WoW style.

. And escape key option for cut scenes.

. Emblems on boots, belts, shoulders, gloves and masks. 

. More scaling options on your avatar like arms, legs, hands,bleep, feet and be able to be far shorter; Mighty Mouse style !

. Mounts ?

. Redo the old TF's like Positron !

. And finally make the city's feel more alive and for the love of auto lovers all around the world.....fix the cars !!!

Thats it.

• Like 1

It seems silly to ask for things from a group of folks doing so much already by running such a stellar game on their own. But if I had to, my only real desperate requests would be:

1. Waist capes and those things seers and talons of vengeance wear. Really, as many more unique costume pieces we could get would be great. The rigidity of the creator can sometimes be a nuisance so the more diverse pieces the better imo.

2. Vet/prestige power customization. Obviously a bit of this is coming in the next issue, but given the prevalence of Sand of Mu, Blackwand and Nemesis Staff power usage it would be great to see them get an opton for just their basic set visuals from Dark Melee/Dark Blast/ Force Fields and be able to recolor them.

3. More costume slots. I'm a glutton, what can I say. 10 is great but 15 would be even better for us ravenous clothes hounds.

4. Personal bases. I feel like I know why this isn't a thing, as I'm sure it's hell on the server but if it were ever a possibility it would be amazing to have the ability to craft our own personal bases like supergroups can, even if it wasn't to the same level or something.

5. New powers/power sets. As much as possible, I know these are testy due to the string pulling it takes to make them happen and balance but as much choice as possible is always a boon to me.

All that said thank y'all for the amazing work, and I look forward to whatever y'all bring in the future!!

BRING ON THE COMING STORM...

...but this time we win! 😁

Seriously, I want to kick some Battalion bootie.

Other than that. Fun!  Lots of fun.  For players and Devs.  Fun all 'round for everyone.  Keep the fun coming!

Too many games forget that fun is the whole point and get serious about this, that, or the other thing.  Keep it fun!

Coming Storm/Batallion?  Sure. But frankly I will be very disappointed in the dev team if they are shackling themselves to the projected ideas from the Lore AMA. Inspired by?  Go for it! But my broken record mantra has always been content across the board/levels rather than end content for its own sake. There has to be a better way to move forward than just "the next big bad".

Just a thought here.  We had the Praetorian war (are still having the Praetorian war if you're doing the Itrials!).  And that's all well and good and aren't we all happy that we can do that with our level 50 (+3) toons?  But where were the missions for the levels 20s? 30s? 40s?  Where were the mission arcs that a level 20 could do to infiltrate a Praetorian science lab and make a difference getting that vital data out so that the level 50s could actually DO the ITrials?  A rethink on how we approach content is needed.  End game creep is a bottleneck and a poison to the life of a game like COH as a whole.

And since the players are the heroes here, get rid of Dream Doctor ASAP.  Deus ex machina characters are a slap in the face to player agency.

Edited by Darmian
  • Like 2

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Powerset proliferation is the biggest one I'd like to see. More sets brought across more ATs that can appropriately use them. It allows more variety and for people to play what they'd like rather than being forced to one AT or another.

Also I'd adore an Assault/Buff;Debuff AT. I know that's asking for a lot but it'd be such a fun character to build with that melee/ranged mix on top of Buff/Debuff sets.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Force Redux said:

Subscription please, NOT micro transactions. They really change the nature of MMOs for the worse.

Considering we don't have micro transactions here I don't think this is an issue.

• Like 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

Granite armor have an option to turn the character into how the stone statues look, instead of everyone looking like the same piece of rock.

More varied epic power pools.  Filling in gaps like adding sonic, radiation, or time.

An accolade power for completing all the tailor missions and cape mission. Some thing like a small 3% to def/damage res. 

Splitting the 3 attacks out of the MM set so people can mix and match with their pets. Pistol with demons, whip with zombies and so on.

A 5th column invasion event. It could spawn those 2 giant robots from the itf.

Holiday mm pet set, you could unlock with event currency. Halloween could be werewolves, vampires and witches. Winter could be snowmen and elves. 

An event io sets that are for Halloween. You could copy the winter ones and swap cold effects for dark. New years could be based on Time set powers.

Add a chance to spawn clones in Cot missions.

Unlock the requirements on general power pools so we can stop taking throw away powers like kick just to get tough and weave.

Any power that doesnt allow io sets needs to allow at least one option.

After getting the same badge on 10 different characters it just unlocks account wide. Lets end some of the grind.

Up the inf limit from 2 bill to say 10. Then tie it to the account not the character, So we don't have to play the email game of hunting down which character has some spare inf.