Explain to me like I'm five: what do the tanker changes mean in practice?

ParaBruce

I know that there have been changes recently. But I have fairly severe dyscalculia, one of many side effects of an auto-immune disorder messing with my brain chemistry, and it's very hard for me sometimes to translate numbers in isolation into a sense of game significance. So: what does it all mean?

That is, what changes would I, as someone who's a pretty good player who'll never be great, notice while tanking, leveling and at cap? Would soloing be easier/faster/visibly different? Do some power sets gain or lose in overall standing? That kind of thing - the qualitative consequences of quantitative changes.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ParaBruce said:

Would soloing be easier/faster/visibly different? Do some power sets gain or lose in overall standing?

Yes and yes.

Basically, you will do more damage (higher damage modifier and also a higher damage cap) and it will be easier to hit more enemies (AoE increases and increased target caps). 

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I'm pretty sure this is still in the mix: Tanks are supposed to get an 'inflated' amount of Endurance as well. This (along with higher damage) ought to make soloing at lower levels a lot more tolerable. I subscribe to the classic 3-slot Stamina (Perf Shift proc+End, IO End) on my characters so I'm somewhat curious if any players have experimented with cutting down to just 2 slots in Stamina.

2 hours ago, tidge said:

I'm pretty sure this is still in the mix: Tanks are supposed to get an 'inflated' amount of Endurance as well. This (along with higher damage) ought to make soloing at lower levels a lot more tolerable. I subscribe to the classic 3-slot Stamina (Perf Shift proc+End, IO End) on my characters so I'm somewhat curious if any players have experimented with cutting down to just 2 slots in Stamina.

They took that out in the most recent patch. It's possible they could bring it back, but I think it won't.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

10 minutes ago, tidge said:

Sigh, thanks.

I wouldn't stress it. I've thrown a lot of Tank builds at Pineapple since these changes went up, and I've honestly not really seen much of a difference not having it versus having it. Realistically the +20 End ended up making things more unbalanced in an IO world as I was barely seeing my blue-bar move at all.

• Thanks 2

I wouldn't say any sets "lose" anything.  But some gain more than others.

Any set with more than normal +dmg will benefit the tanker a lot more now comparatively.  So anything more than just Build-up.  Or primary sets like BIO and Shield. 

Any set that had AOEs smaller ARC/radius than the cuttoff will gain a lot of area.  Also target caps go up. 

Have you ever used the vet power Sands of Mu?  Well, Dark Melee has an attack just like it called Shadow Maul that you can enhance.

Remember how much you needed to shuffle to hit more than 2 targets with Sands of Mu?  Well Tanker Shadow Maul can hit 5 targets rather easily on test.  Run that through other powersets like Spine's Ripper, Electric Melee's Jacob's Ladder, Ice Melee's Frost, etc as well as some of the PBAoE attacks having a higher cap and area.

There will be exceptions though.  Know how Super Strength's Footstomp and Titan Weapon's everything had some pretty knarly AoE effect?  Those set's won't have as drastic of a change in feel.