Hand-Mounted Assault and Beam Rifle Animations

That Ninja

This was an idea I had back when I played live. I always thought it would expand the concept of "gun user" if the devs added an alternate set of animations reusing the Energy Blast animations with a wrist-mounted gun model appearing in tandem. Although making a new model for wrist-guns will probably be some sort of task, there's a plethora of "point out arms" animations that could be employed that would expand the Assault Rifle concept into slightly more broad use for people who want to make a character like Deadshot, Black Widow, or just a robot/character with internal weapons.

EDIT: Just realized that employing this to the Beam Rifle powerset would also add more to it for making power armor/robot/future people characters who don't want to just hold a gun.

Edited by That Ninja
  • Like 5

• 2 months later

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to bump to show my support. Conceptually speaking, a beam rifle type of power set, but with the powers shooting from his hands, would be absolutely perfect for my main. I’ve settled for energy/energy, but if beam rifle were available with a “hand blast” animation, I would happily reroll in a heartbeat no question.

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

Major +1 to everything that's been said in this thread.

One more suggestion I'd make : have the Beam Rifle stance and animations be available for Assault Rifle. I get that the devs wanted to emulate movie action heroes when designing AR, but it makes little sense for my trained soldier to fire his rifle at the hip, IMHO. At least, give us the option to choose between both stances!

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 11:47 PM, That Ninja said:

This was an idea I had back when I played live. I always thought it would expand the concept of "gun user" if the devs added an alternate set of animations reusing the Energy Blast animations with a wrist-mounted gun model appearing in tandem

I like this, I've had the same suggestion for Sonic Attack and Sonic Resonance.  A wrist mounted option would be great, so would a one handed pistol and a two handed rifle.  These latter I think are already in the game, so it shouldn't be too crazy to add.

Specifically for Sonic I'd like to see a different sound, I really hate the growling "I scream at them" sound and animation that's in game right now.  A rock-and-roll guitar noise was suggested.  I'd like to see a  musical harp sound, and maybe some sort of electronic retro sci-fi "Buzzzaaaap!" sound.  For sonic I'd also like to see some options for holding a musical instrument, but that's getting more art intensive right now.

15 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

Radiation eye beams, second choice. Shoots from the hands.

This is a really good example. I’d love to see more options like this across other powersets too. Heck, give assault rifle the option to shoot bullets from your fingertips. Let’s get wild with it 🙂

• Like 1

Main/Planned Characters:

Just now, Galaxy Brain said:

Dual finger guns 

Pew pew pew 👈👈👈

• Haha 1

Main/Planned Characters:

Now this is a change I can get behind!  I've been wanting a "Power Armor" powerset, something akin to Ironman for quite some time.  Sure, Energy Blast sorta does this but wrist-mounted Beam Rifle attacks sounds like exactly what the doctor ordered on that concept.  I'd absolutely use Beam Rifle if we got such animation options.

It's a somewhat obscure movie, but "Real Men" (1987, Jim Belushi, John Ritter), had a few scenes where one of the character makes a gun with their fingers and yells BANG!.... and the target gets shot.

To the original post though, the PPD Hard Suit and PPD Shells do have the wrist mounted firepower already.

Admittedly, I've picked up enough to know that not every NPC move / animation is an easy-peasy port to players.  Horrific Spagetti Code (with a nice vodka sauce....) FTW.

But it might be a decent starting point at least.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MTeague said:

It's a somewhat obscure movie, but "Real Men" (1987, Jim Belushi, John Ritter), had a few scenes where one of the character makes a gun with their fingers and yells BANG!.... and the target gets shot.

To the original post though, the PPD Hard Suit and PPD Shells do have the wrist mounted firepower already.

Admittedly, I've picked up enough to know that not every NPC move / animation is an easy-peasy port to players.  Horrific Spagetti Code (with a nice vodka sauce....) FTW.

But it might be a decent starting point at least.

Praetorian Clockworks, similarly, have hand blasters and shoulder cannons for their various attacks (I actually have a post I made earlier this week about an idea for a prae clockwork style plasma blast set) and I really enjoy the aesthetics of their attacks.

I agree that it might be good to start by looking into the various factions’ unique animations to see if/how they may be applied to PCs. My illogical, ignorant brain hopes it would be as easy as copy and paste, but logically I know spaghetti code gets in the way often.

I think the devs started experimenting with alternate animations near the end of the game’s lifecycle only because they were just starting to untangle the knots in the pasta, but I could be misremembering.

• Like 1

Main/Planned Characters: