Invention Salvage Storage Scheme

plymster

I'm not sure if other people struggle with organizing their invention salvage, but I know I have.  I've been searching for an optimal way to store a reasonable amount of invention salvage in my base, while being able to know how to best separate and organize my storage and stay under the 18 storage unit cap in bases.  To that end, I set up a few parameters:

Salvage Maximums:

• 15 of each Common (White) Salvage
  • 10 of each Uncommon (Yellow) Salvage
  • 5 of each Rare (Orange) Salvage

By using 12 Salvage Storage units, I am able to store Salvage in the following alphabetically organized sections:

A - (Alchemical Gold to Boresight)

Br - (Brass to Circuit Board)

Cl - (Clockwork Gear to Data Drive)

De - (Deific Weapon to Essence of the Furies)

F - (Fortune to Improvised Cybernetic)

In - (Inanimate Carbon Rod to Luck Charm)

M - (Magical Conspiracy to Photonic Weapon)

Pl - (Plasma Capacitor to Rikti Alloy)

Ru - (Ruby to Scope)

Si - (Silver to Spell Scroll)

Spi - (Spirit Thorn to Synthetic Intelligence Unit)

T - (Temporal Analyzer to Volume of the Obsidian Libram)

In practical terms, this means putting a section label (Large Cement Plate, I think) on all of my storage.  I keep my storage near my Invention Table for convenience.  The end result looks like this:

1560368321_20_Storage1.thumb.jpg.6cc794c70fe252dde787878fb8851aa9.jpg

122483404_21_Storage2.thumb.jpg.eba2e2b67b7651adf2e5cbc270bf8772.jpg

I also usually leave an extra Salvage Storage near my Supercollider in case I want to Empower my toon.

22_Supercollider.thumb.jpg.31f6dfb0ef8dd56c3b68cf934bd2bfd7.jpg

Hopefully someone else will find this useful.

Did you know about personal storage?  You can put the Personal Storage Vault near the Supercollider and free up a storage rack.  Plus, the Personal Storage Vault is accessible anywhere through your Salvage window.

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

I just went with rows. 

1 Rack for Orange 

3  or 4 for yellow

1 empty for swapping enhancement converters 

And the rest for white 

But in the end I had to mix yellow with Orange until I filled the orange out with actual orange con salvage.

Would love more salvage racks and would love to have the computer link the salvage racks 

• Community Rep

The personal storage vault is unneeded, is accessible from player salvage window now.

This is similar to my own system. I use  12 racks for salvage, 4 bins for IOs, and 2 for inspirations. 8 racks are common, with the division of A-B, C, D-H, I, K-P, R, S-Spe, and Spi-T. This gives about 20 spaces for each named common, and I use white alphabet letters to designate (I also hide them in walls). For commons, I use two bins, with yellow alphabet letters, A-N, P-Z. This gives 6-7 spaces for each named salvage. Then one rack for rare, which gives 2-3 spaces for each named salvage (I use 2 for the lower level pieces, 3 for higher levels, because I don't tend to use as many of the lower level ones, and I have one salvage rack for special salvage, which I color code blue.  IO racks, I use 2 for sets, color coded red.  Right now I have two color coded white for generic IOs that are not part of sets, but as we collect more things, I'll be either making one into a purple, for purple and AT and PVP IOs, or I will switch out an inspiration bin for an IO bin.

I find everyone has their own preferences for how many racks of which type they want. I find mine is good for a group, giving plenty of salvage for IO creation without worrying about running out quickly. I like having two insp storage bins because when I'm teaming and we need inspirations, it's usually because we're facing something tough, and we need the inspirations at the same time, so having two bins saves time. I'd really love more space, too.

Here, the common bin is actually green, because I wanted to use a light to highlight it, and there were limited choices. Some of the salvage racks here are in the floor, not the walls, look closely to see the letters. I shortened the s-spe, spi-t notations to save space here.

screenshot_190902-19-05-08.thumb.jpg.0680bbdcdea3760df597d489f1ca2be5.jpg

Slightly different setup:

screenshot_190701-01-19-13.thumb.jpg.65376b36ab2105db3ff51e916b9fc836.jpg

Etc. 🙂

I go over my storage systems and how to make functional items blend seamlessly with the style of your base in my video., Make Your Base Work For You , and I show you what I was talking about in Making Base Function Look Fabulous .

Storage systems make life so much easier when trying to craft! Good work, @plymster!

-Dacy

It's interesting to see how other people approach salvage storage.  I prefer not to segregate my salvage by rarity, since I usually don't know what rarity an item is in a recipe. 

Dacy, I like the idea of turning storage on its side to make it more of a wall.  That is a great way to keep your storage from looking like just another static pile of junk.  Using the storage containers as a facade for the salvage storage is likewise a great idea. 

I also liked the idea of disguising the combat logs as a microwave (as you indicated in your video), and hiding your icon tailor in a clothing rack.  You're really a whiz with all of this!

• Thanks 1

I keep 8 racks for common and uncommon salvage, organized alphabetically as shown in the screenshot. I don't keep enough rare salvage on hand to warrant storing it in a rack, and I just keep what little I have in my crafting character's personal vault. I have a couple of overflow racks (not shown) temporarily because I am working on the invention badges and have been hoarding more salvage than normal for that, but once I finish those badges I plan to sell off my excess salvage and trim back down to 8 racks.

salvage_storage.jpg

• 2 weeks later
  • Community Rep

Thanks, @plymster, I've picked up a few things from some great base builders over the years! 🙂 Also, I experiment a lot. 😄 And I don't turn it on it's side; storage racks are tricky, and there are actually a few places on the thing that won't let you access them (I turn IO racks upside down, tho, usually). I turn tech salvage around backwards, so you are looking at the "fence" in back. That's the easiest side to access from another smooth surface. Each salvage rack has a side which doesn't really permit much access. It's the opposite side from the one shown in @AboveTheChemist's picture, above.

-Dacy

I'm currently working on adding more salvage racks to my base's workshop, and would like to sink them into the walls to be able to fit more - however I've found that the racks are not clickable from their ends or from the bottom like Dacy demonstrated with enhancement storage tables, which is troublesome. Has anyone found a good way of 'burying' salvage racks so they're still usable?

EDIT: Okay, I got it... eventually. Here's how the salvage racks look in Dauntless Reverie's base now, still clickable:

screenshot_191107-21-26-20.thumb.jpg.8f5a45ff4f821b19ea87c3292a317b66.jpg

To get them clickable and also close together, they're sunk down into the floor such that the grayish chest on one clickable side of the racks (not the brown one at the end; the ends are NOT clickable for some reason!) is positioned facing the room with the keyhole just at floor level - there's enough clickable area above the box that the rack remains possible to use when the box lid is covered by those stone steps and the little bit of shelf that pokes through the wall is covered AS SHALLOWLY AS POSSIBLE with those tables that I've made into vault doors. To get them so close together, saving space, each rack is also rotated 10 degrees, so when they're overlapped one is distinctly in front of the other and that's the one that gets clicked when you're moused over itss corresponding vault door.

Here is what it looks like from outside the map:

screenshot_191107-21-27-06.thumb.jpg.d86870fa690e8930e268c82ca861f3e2.jpg

Edited by Flashtoo

Character portrait artist for hire, PM for details!

Commissions: Closed, Sorry

• Community Rep

Yeah, as I've noted somewhere, above in this topic, I think, there is a side of both the arcane version and the tech version which won't allow access (the photo in AboveTheChemist's photo shows the end that is accessible for both racks), and you cannot, unfortunately access from either the top or the bottom. Arcane is more difficult to bury than tech, since tech has a completely smooth side that is easily accessible. There is a wooden box on either side of the arcane rack, however...the prettier one is the one that is inaccessible, and the more worn, dull looking one IS accessible, so it is possible to bury the rest of it in a wall and only have that one box showing.

Other than that, it's a matter of experimentation to find the places you can and cannot click on them. If you're burying them completely and have no part showing, might as well go tech, no one can see they are tech in an arcane setting if they are completely hidden. 🙂

-Dacy

Edited by Dacy

I continued using the Arcane ones because they have a slightly smaller footprint and found them easier to arrange. The smooth side of the Tech one wasn't giving me much luck when it came to keeping it actually clickable when buried - also, I've never found the ends of either one to be clickable, and AboveTheChemist's photo shows racks that are arranged like a row of bookshelves (i.e. ends facing into the room) but the sides of them are still accessible, which they wouldn't have been in mine. If you've arranged any salvage racks to still be clickable while the only part still visible is the end or bottom, or while the flat side of the Tech one is totally buried, I'd love to see how it was done... in the mean time, this is what ended up working for me.

• Community Rep

Okay, @Flashtoo, do you mean buried, as in in the floor? You can, but whether the rack is accessible depends on the fence on the storage bin being just barely under the surface, and that means the edge of the bottom will stick up from the floor. It can be disguised in a wall, but just know that. To get rid of the edge if it's upright in a wall, just sink it a bit.

screenshot_190902-19-05-08.thumb.jpg.080459890dc71d34f82fac48de136400.jpg

Some of these bins are in the floor, click around the letters to access.

Here is an example of just the end of the tech being accessible, the rest is in the wall. This was so I could put them sideways and fit many more into a small space.

screenshot_190303-23-42-10.thumb.jpg.99242f5e4da00ea7a39c7592dc7ad118.jpg

For arcane, you'd have to look at my video,

Unfortunately, in traveling between bases in the video, I had extra footage of zoning I didn't want, and I edited it out with the YouTube editor, which is garbage, it would seem. Originally, the sound was fine, but now, looks like I will have to do it over, the sound is not matched with the correct visual after I zone between bases. 😞 But the arcane stuff I'm talking about is right at the beginning.

As I have noted, I have not been able to access a salvage bin from either the top, when it's sunk into a floor, or the bottom, if it were turned upside down.

I hope this helped! 🙂

-Dacy

screenshot_180922-18-21-13.jpg

Edited by Dacy

By 'buried' I mean 'hidden behind/below a bunch of other items.' I did watch your video, and in both that and apparently with the tech salvage you illustrate here, both of those strategies seem to rely on a clickable box being still visible, which is what I was avoiding with mine - I wanted what looked like vault doors, as opposed to a smallish storage container.

• Community Rep

In the other picture of the spaceship bridge, there’s no clickable box visible. The object box is still outside of the object it’s behind, but it’s invisible. But that’s from the back of the storage unit, not the side. I have not discovered a way to make a storage unit clickable from the side without having some box exposed. Sorry I didn’t understand your earlier question.

It's cool! In any case I did figure out something that worked for me so we're all good. I like your idea of color coding for rarity, too, so I put a spin on that that matches the base's decor:

image.png.621ea9a973cf00586f5bb9ffb970c308.png

If you position them JUST RIGHT, you can make the logos on supergroup banners visible while the rest of the banner is hidden. Useful for my labeling here, as the alphabet letters are humongous and I don't like the look of them next to the rest of the workshop.

Alphabetical divisions were chosen by making an alphabetized list of all salvage types per rarity and counting out where to evenly divide it so it's roughly the same number of stacks per bin.

Edited by Flashtoo
  • Like 2

• 1 month later

Based on Flashtoo's excellent idea about  using Banners (and in at least one case a Supergroup Logo glass panel), I've reconfigured my storage area to be much more compact.  Also, using Dacy's idea of hiding my storage bins behind some tech pipes dressed up (with keycard readers and grab bars) to look like tech lockers.  For my enhancement "locker", I turned the enhancement table on its side (you're seeing the bottom of it with a "2" on it), sunk it on the wall and threw a label and a grab bar on it.

Thanks a lot guys!  Your suggestions helped me make my storage system even more compact and more aesthetically pleasing.  Plus now, I can nearly reach all of my storage bins without having to leave my crafting table.

Star League Base 0.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later

Personal opinion is it is a waste of time.  Game craps out Inf, Exp, Salvage, and Recipe faster then I can use it.  The whites and yellows total together being sold on the AH is like 10 million.  I farm slowly cause I don't  have an optimal  build but after 3-4 runs I can go from 0 to 150 sometimes while and make 8 IOs from random sets if I wanted too but it is always the worthles ones 

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer