Give Null the Gull option for minimal FX for Ice Shields

Solarverse

I'm sure some may agree, it is completely annoying when players choose the big bulky option for their Ice Shields and cast it on your character, sufficiently turning you in to the Ice Golem's third cousin. I would love to have an option with Null the Gull to make those bulky shields the Minimal FX option, since a lot of players won't use it on their end.

• Like 3

I have an Ice/Elec tanker and I just turn on "Suppress Close FX" and "SuppressCloseFXdist" and all of my annoying Ice armor stuff goes away on my client.  Nothing but costume, just the way I like it.  Won't do anything to other avatars, but it cleans mine right up.  That might get you part of the way there and it'll apply to anything: Fire Shields, Ice Shields, etc.

Once the distance is set (I think I did 35) the setting stays at that distance and I can use the Suppress Close FX option in Options - Graphics to turn on and off the FX.  

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/SuppressCloseFxDist_(Slash_Command)

Edited by Sura
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sura said:

I have an Ice/Elec tanker and I just turn on "Suppress Close FX" and "SuppressCloseFXdist" and all of my annoying Ice armor stuff goes away on my client.  Nothing but costume, just the way I like it.  Won't do anything to other avatars, but it cleans mine right up.  That might get you part of the way there and it'll apply to anything: Fire Shields, Ice Shields, etc.

Once the distance is set (I think I did 35) the setting stays at that distance and I can use the Suppress Close FX option in Options - Graphics to turn on and off the FX.  

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/SuppressCloseFxDist_(Slash_Command)

Funnily enough I tried that in the tf I mentioned above. Didn't make the slightest difference that I could tell. In desperation I ended up turning every graphics setting down to rock bottom. My framerate was probably awesome but it wasn't pretty.

I now make it a point on any toon with shield buffs to spend a bit of time recolouring the shields to be as unintrusive as possible. There really is no need for them to be as bright as they are even at the default settings.

The null the gull option would be a help but thinking back to that tf the biggest problem wasn't the shield on me, it was the shields on all the other players and big ass pets. If the option could enforce a minimum graphics setting on specific powers regardless of whether they are on your character or anything else that would be perfect.

7 minutes ago, parabola said:

Funnily enough I tried that in the tf I mentioned above. Didn't make the slightest difference that I could tell. In desperation I ended up turning every graphics setting down to rock bottom. My framerate was probably awesome but it wasn't pretty.

I now make it a point on any toon with shield buffs to spend a bit of time recolouring the shields to be as unintrusive as possible. There really is no need for them to be as bright as they are even at the default settings.

The null the gull option would be a help but thinking back to that tf the biggest problem wasn't the shield on me, it was the shields on all the other players and big ass pets. If the option could enforce a minimum graphics setting on specific powers regardless of whether they are on your character or anything else that would be perfect.

Yeah, the minimal effects on the shields is perfect, IMO. To me, they look a hell of a lot better too. I don't see the appeal in the big blocky human ice cube look.

31 minutes ago, parabola said:

The only thing I can think of is that (AFAIK) turning on SuppressCloseFX won't do anything unless you've set a distance with SuppressCloseFXDist.  When I set it I just got my Tanker out, turned powers on, turned on SuppressCloseFX, and then worked with the distance until the power fx suppressed.  But as you say, those settings will only apply to the player's avatar, not to teammates, so it wouldn't be a solution to your dilemma by any means.  

Needless to say, I agree with an option to reduce/eliminate the FX for ice.  I think the hurdle perhaps is the idea that one player shouldn't be somehow altering how another player's powers appear to everyone.    I would be better with a client side suppression or change for example (like SuppressCloseFX), rather than something that defines not only for myself, but for teammates, how a teammate's powers appear.  Does that make sense?

1 hour ago, Voice_box said:

I have an ice character, named Kid Frost.

I will make sure the ice blocks are not a thing on him. Didn't realize had the choice for different ice effects, just assumed color variations.

I used to educate players (because it wasn't always a thing to give them the minimal FX option) and I got nothing but "Don't tell me what to do! I don't care!" even though all I was doing was letting them know it was an option in the nicest way I could express. Sometimes, saying anything at all to players about this sort of thing can be taken the wrong way, so I just stopped saying anything at all. I think it would just be better all round to give us as players the option to have the minimal FX option added to Null the Gull. There honestly isn't that many FX in game that bothers me when people cast something on me. Ice is pretty much the only one...and then only if it's the Blocky Cube FX.

However it's implemented, please make the option for the player to turn off power effects for their own perspective of their toon...?

In other words: the player can't see their own toon's power effects but everyone else can.

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

8 hours ago, Sura said:

Needless to say, I agree with an option to reduce/eliminate the FX for ice.  I think the hurdle perhaps is the idea that one player shouldn't be somehow altering how another player's powers appear to everyone.    I would be better with a client side suppression or change for example (like SuppressCloseFX), rather than something that defines not only for myself, but for teammates, how a teammate's powers appear.  Does that make sense?

Yeah absolutely, I think we are all talking about a change that would only affect our own client. I have no desire to have to dictate to others how they should configure their powers, if everyone had some control over what appeared on their own client we could all be happy.

This is effectively the same idea as the ability to do custom sound suppression in the game client. The sound of the healing auras used to drive me nuts when someone decided that 'rocking it' was the way to go on a team. I've removed the sound altogether at my end and now no more problem.

On 11/11/2019 at 6:39 PM, Oubliette_Red said:

This is something that should be available at the Tailor, sadly not all powersets offer the Minimal FX option.

4 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

thats where this should go, not Null

Since the tailor doesn't EVER offer the option to change how someone else's buffs look on your character, I am not sure that y'all grasp the concept here.

I think it'd be a nice QoL to have some suppression of FX client-side, not just player provided buffs but also other players toggles and auras.  This would really help out lag events like MSR if I could get Null the Gull to make it where I don't see all those extra colors and swirls (on my toon from other people or on their toon from whatever source.)  

Edit to add...not just effect ice but all sets that allow someone to essentially give me a look I didnt specifically choose.

Edited by EmmySky

7 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

thats where this should go, not Null

Except the issue involves other players casting buffs on you, not just one's own character.

Okay, hypothetical situation:

I'm a SS/Willpower Brute.  I have no ice powers whatsoever.  I team with a Cold Domination Defender and they cast Ice Shield and Glacial Shield on me, and suddenly I can't see anything because I'm turned into a big blocky ice thing.

Where in the tailor should the option "minimal effects for *other* people's ice and glacial shields" be, so I can avoid that situation in the future?  Where in the UI should they add the ability to customize every possible buff or debuff that anyone else in the game could conceivably cast on me?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EmmySky said:

Since the tailor doesn't EVER offer the option to change how someone else's buffs look on your character, I am not sure that y'all grasp the concept here.

I think it'd be a nice QoL to have some suppression of FX client-side, not just player provided buffs but also other players toggles and auras.  This would really help out lag events like MSR if I could get Null the Gull to make it where I don't see all those extra colors and swirls (on my toon from other people or on their toon from whatever source.)  

Edit to add...not just effect ice but all sets that allow someone to essentially give me a look I didnt specifically choose.

I see that now, the OP was talking about not their own powers but buffs from other players. I misread.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 11/11/2019 at 4:12 PM, Voice_box said:

I have an ice character, named Kid Frost.

I will make sure the ice blocks are not a thing on him. Didn't realize had the choice for different ice effects, just assumed color variations.

I think this is the issue. Many players don't realize they can choose min fx for their shields.  Fwiw, I always go min fx on shields so other players' costumes aren't obscured, but having a Null option makes sense since so many people simply don't know they can fix this issue themselves.

On 11/13/2019 at 5:04 AM, EmmySky said:

SuppressCloseFx and SuppressCloseFxDist will remove the vast majority of effects on your character on your client.  Fire shields, Ice shields, all that kind of stuff.  It won't do anything to characters other than yours, but give it a try if you haven't already.  Also, I think if the distance is set too closely you can lose even weapon effects and some effects are too close to eliminate.

• Like 2