Playing two heroes at the same time

WarriorBSD

Since CoH is 1) free, 2) not graphic intensive, and 3) a no-brainer to play, I created a second account using one of my many email accounts. So I've been "soloing" with two heroes for several days. I started them off at first level. I'm trying to develop finger habits on a cheap laptop to control the second hero. Also, re-assigning keys is VERY helpful. Once I'm comfortable in controlling them, I might team up with a group. I don't want to be annoying to anyone while I managing more than one character.

Creating a duo really gave me more thematic builds. I've made three teams: 1) a wizard (blaster) & demon (fire tank), 2) husband (sentinal) & wife (tank), and dwarf (axe tank) & elf (blaster).

Just FYI

• Like 2

I would be mildly annoyed if I knew someone else was doing this on a team I was on, but not too much. Mainly because I have tried it and it seems like it would be kind of awkward and would slow down the team. But you might have the controls down well enough that it isn't. I don't know.

I have a second account myself, and don't see a problem with that. I did it because I solo a lot and thought it would be an easy way to PL a character, using a fire farmer, for reasons similar to what you describe.

I envisioned having a buff/heal bot defender that I could use to accompany one of my alts on a mission. But most of the Brute and Scrapper builds I have tried already have self heals themselves, and the buffs were not worth all the overhead, what with all the zoning in this game. It was always a bit more trouble than it's worth, especially on high level content.

However, I did PL an Ill./Rad. controller on the second account and now if run across a mission or story arc, like Maria Jenkins, that is full of AVs or Elite Bosses and would be doable on a blaster or some other type of controller, but a total pain in the but, I pair them up with the solo king and he breezes past the part that would require a bunch of inspirations.

I do this is a Sonic/ Defender, the bot is just on /follow and gives me Disruption Field for the -30%res debuff and Leadership auras. Her 2 resist buffs helped me a lot to get my first 50 up to snuff but now that that character is at res cap it's less of an issue.

Just get the Invisibility power from Concealment pool and have the bot afk /follow

1 hour ago, Seigmoraig said:

I do this is a Sonic/ Defender, the bot is just on /follow and gives me Disruption Field for the -30%res debuff and Leadership auras. Her 2 resist buffs helped me a lot to get my first 50 up to snuff but now that that character is at res cap it's less of an issue.

Just get the Invisibility power from Concealment pool and have the bot afk /follow

Yeah, I have stealth of some sort on all the secondaries I have made. I personally do fly as well since it seems to make it easier for the AI to navigate obstacles. There is really not an issue with having them around in a mission map. It is just the pain of getting them TOO the map with all the doors you have to go through. Unless it is something worth a lot of switching windows, like getting Portal Jockey, I just don't find it to be worth the effort.

30 minutes ago, quixoteprog said:

Yeah, I have stealth of some sort on all the secondaries I have made. I personally do fly as well since it seems to make it easier for the AI to navigate obstacles. There is really not an issue with having them around in a mission map. It is just the pain of getting them TOO the map with all the doors you have to go through. Unless it is something worth a lot of switching windows, like getting Portal Jockey, I just don't find it to be worth the effort.

As of now, I mostly use it in 3 situations
1) AE Farm, having the bot along with double inf nets more $$$ per run
2) soloing TFs, You get double (or triple depending if you dual or triple box) merits
3) Filling in TFs that I am running, sometimes in off hours it's too long to fill a group so I will bring in my bot to move things along. Since she is Sonic/ even though she is just on /follow she still kinda contributes (also double merits)

Bot also has TP friend, mission TP and team mission TP for ease of access. Botting like this is also SO MUCH EASIER if you have a dual monitor set up, I wouldn't bother with it myself if I didn't have 2 monitors

Edited by Seigmoraig

I'm thinking of doing a sock-puppetry thing. You know. Have a "conversation" between my two heroes. Just for heck, I put both heroes' conversation on Local.  Then they locally greet each other hoping players over hear it. I got this idea from remembering a Renaissance fair I went to a long time ago where some people RPed and rumor-controlled Robin Hood.  Was amusing.

Edited by WarriorBSD
  • Like 2

I recall a post from the Dev's a few months ago about dual boxing and that it was prohibited except on some circumstances but I don't remember the specifics, something to do with number of players on the server.  You may want to search for that post to make sure you aren't going to get in trouble over it.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Call Me Awesome said:

I recall a post from the Dev's a few months ago about dual boxing and that it was prohibited except on some circumstances but I don't remember the specifics, something to do with number of players on the server.  You may want to search for that post to make sure you aren't going to get in trouble over it.

Rules for multi-boxing are found under the Code of Conduct.  It's generally ok to a limited number of accounts under certain server populations, but it's the player's responsibility to watch the population and log out accounts if there population threshold is crossed.

• Thanks 1

As long as you arent doing it in a high demand group or league like Hami raids I dont see a problem with it on normal teams if you can be mildly successful on each toon.

But the people who dual box the Hami and prevent another player from getting in zone at all- F those guys, man.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, SaddestGhost said:

Rules for multi-boxing are found under the Code of Conduct.  It's generally ok to a limited number of accounts under certain server populations, but it's the player's responsibility to watch the population and log out accounts if there population threshold is crossed.

Thanks, I just remembered there was something about it and didn't want the OP to get in trouble.  Most of the Code of Conduct boils down to "Don't be a dick".

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

On 12/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, WarriorBSD said:

Since CoH is 1) free, 2) not graphic intensive, and 3) a no-brainer to play, I created a second account using one of my many email accounts. So I've been "soloing" with two heroes for several days. I started them off at first level. I'm trying to develop finger habits on a cheap laptop to control the second hero. Also, re-assigning keys is VERY helpful. Once I'm comfortable in controlling them, I might team up with a group. I don't want to be annoying to anyone while I managing more than one character.

Creating a duo really gave me more thematic builds. I've made three teams: 1) a wizard (blaster) & demon (fire tank), 2) husband (sentinal) & wife (tank), and dwarf (axe tank) & elf (blaster).

Just FYI

I more often than not Triple box (max allowed on HC), I use a software multiplexor to send key presses to each client and I use a single PC (three monitors) to do so. I generally stick with three similar or identical builds as that's much easier to keep track of than when each character has a different set of c/d and situational powers. I use InnerSpace/ISBoxer from Lavishsoft.com, there is a free 7 day trial and 3 months is $15/1 year $50 (with fairly regular voucher offers).

On 12/6/2019 at 8:01 PM, WarriorBSD said:

I'm thinking of doing a sock-puppetry thing. You know. Have a "conversation" between my two heroes. Just for heck, I put both heroes' conversation on Local.  Then they locally greet each other hoping players over hear it. I got this idea from remembering a Renaissance fair I went to a long time ago where some people RPed and rumor-controlled Robin Hood.  Was amusing.

I have done this, though not much as I very seldom group outside of my small team (or hang around in public spaces), it's either greeted with mild confusion or whoever sees me doing it knows what I'm at and are either seemingly impressed or accuse me of cheating/killing babies/starting ww3/etc.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:49 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

The current rules are: (https://forums.homecomingservers.com/code-of-conduct/)

Under Multiboxing Policy:

We allow a basic level of multiboxing on the Homecoming servers outside of peak times. These rules apply on a shard-by-shard basis (by ‘shard’ we mean Torchbearer, Excelsior, etc).

• If there are less than 1500 people logged in to a shard you may play with up to three accounts at once.
  • If there are more than 1500 people logged into a shard you may only play with a single account.
  • If you are caught multiboxing when there are between 1500 and 1600 players logged in to a shard, you will be warned and expected to log off immediately. If you ignore requests to do so your accounts will receive a 24h ban.
  • If you are caught multiboxing repeatedly with more than 1600 players logged in to a shard, all of your accounts will receive immediate permanent bans.

It is your responsibility to monitor server status and current player count if you wish to multibox. You can do this both on our website and in the #live-shards channel on our Discord.

Please note that this policy does not apply to groups of players simply playing from the same home/network. It only applies to individuals playing multiple accounts on their own.

I play on Reunion and I don't think I have ever seen the shard over 1k players (all players on all shards are frequently below 1500). I'd love the cap be raised but I'm more than happy to just be able to play a single account and three is just a bonus. 🙂

37 minutes ago, Lost Ninja said:

I more often than not Triple box (max allowed on HC), I use a software multiplexor to send key presses to each client and I use a single PC (three monitors) to do so. I generally stick with three similar or identical builds as that's much easier to keep track of than when each character has a different set of c/d and situational powers. I use InnerSpace/ISBoxer from Lavishsoft.com, there is a free 7 day trial and 3 months is $15/1 year $50 (with fairly regular voucher offers).

I have done this, though not much as I very seldom group outside of my small team (or hang around in public spaces), it's either greeted with mild confusion or whoever sees me doing it knows what I'm at and are either seemingly impressed or accuse me of cheating/killing babies/starting ww3/etc.

The current rules are: (https://forums.homecomingservers.com/code-of-conduct/)

Under Multiboxing Policy:

We allow a basic level of multiboxing on the Homecoming servers outside of peak times. These rules apply on a shard-by-shard basis (by ‘shard’ we mean Torchbearer, Excelsior, etc).

• If there are less than 1500 people logged in to a shard you may play with up to three accounts at once.
  • If there are more than 1500 people logged into a shard you may only play with a single account.
  • If you are caught multiboxing when there are between 1500 and 1600 players logged in to a shard, you will be warned and expected to log off immediately. If you ignore requests to do so your accounts will receive a 24h ban.
  • If you are caught multiboxing repeatedly with more than 1600 players logged in to a shard, all of your accounts will receive immediate permanent bans.

It is your responsibility to monitor server status and current player count if you wish to multibox. You can do this both on our website and in the #live-shards channel on our Discord.

Please note that this policy does not apply to groups of players simply playing from the same home/network. It only applies to individuals playing multiple accounts on their own.

I play on Reunion and I don't think I have ever seen the shard over 1k players (all players on all shards are frequently below 1500). I'd love the cap be raised but I'm more than happy to just be able to play a single account and three is just a bonus. 🙂

That's what I was trying to recall.  I knew there were restrictions on it and didn't want the OP getting in trouble out of ignorance.

Spoiler

I think I would do this with some kind of mastermind with fire&forget buffs auto-following a melee toon dragging his buffed minions on aggressive.  I have no experience with masterminds... would this work?

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

I think I would do this with some kind of mastermind with fire&forget buffs auto-following a melee toon dragging his buffed minions on aggressive.  I have no experience with masterminds... would this work?

I was reluctant to create a mastermind and a following toon team. But now I'm inclined to make a mastermind and mastermind team. 🙂

In a normal following group you cast through the person you're following, the game automatically assigned the target of damaging powers to the enemy the person you're following is targeting. So as a blaster following a brute you automatically shoot their target providing you're actually targeting the brute. As an MM none of you pet attack commands work this way. You must /assist then pet attack. Normal powers work as expected. This is also the same for /powexec_location commands.

Any command that then breaks the follow will require you to re-select the person you're following and use a follow command. Even more of an issue if you have more than one follower as you would probably also need to make sure both are no longer following before re-issuing the follow command, /follow is a toggle. This would be the same in any follow grouping but with a MM you're doing it after every pet attack. I have tried it both with all MM and with MM on follow, it is totally doable but feels excessively clunky.

A better option would be to have extra buffers as followers to a MM (MM main buff/debuff/ranged damage followers). Issues are:

• More different attacks you have the harder they are to co-ordinate, especially when the c/d is different.
  • If you're going to have a "tank" with followers you might be better off with a "tank" rather than a MM.
  • From my own experience with a bots/dark MM and two corrupt followers my damage and survivability was much lower than with the MM alone. 

Dual/triple boxing isn't as much about performance, you can do more damage as three characters than as one. And you can certainly change how some game mechanics work to your benefit but it does make it more difficult to respond to things that a singleton would cope with much better. So perma AM with just AMx3 (on SOs from 32+) or permanent 100% recharge reduction with 2x SB (150% for other team members). Easily def capped on */cold to all but fire & cold with just the shields (same for FF but hole is psionic) and that's with no IO bonuses. Three players are going to be able to handle 3x the number of situations that a singleton playing three characters is, though alpha strikes by a singleton are going to be stronger than all but the best team of players (PvP teams are good at this in most games).

I do it because I find it more fun than playing normally. Mostly... 🙂

On 12/6/2019 at 12:01 PM, WarriorBSD said:

Once I get my Bots/Dark MM up to 26, I need to resurrect the cascading exchange I had created based on something I had read years ago about how certain Federation insults don't translate into Klingonaase:

Assault bot: <em taunt> "Твоя мать носит солдатскую обувь!" ('Your mother wears the footgear of a soldier!')

Protector bot 1: <em huh> "Это должно быть оскорблением?" ('That's supposed to be an insult?')

Battle drone 1: <em research> "Вот что говорит разговорник." ('That's what the phrasebook says.')

Battle drone 2: <em yatayata> "Я никогда не пойму людей." ('I am never going to understand humans.')

• 2 weeks later

You have a second account, great. I suggest you just use it for yourself, rather than bring both your characters to an 8 man team, or any other size team. You cannot serve two masters. You might play one well, but you're going to stink at the other one. At best, you have a great tank who just auto taunts, while your other character dishes out damage, or something along those lines. Another player would be able to taunt, mash things, and manage aggro better. 

It's really just common sense. There might be some limited circumstances where you could do both passably well, but who wants to team with someone that is only doing things passably well? I want your best effort, not 2 characters that are only doing a fraction of what they could be if you were giving them your full attention. 

On 12/6/2019 at 6:05 PM, SlimPickens said:

As long as you arent doing it in a high demand group or league like Hami raids I dont see a problem with it on normal teams if you can be mildly successful on each toon.

But the people who dual box the Hami and prevent another player from getting in zone at all- F those guys, man.

I'm going to be that guy and say, if I catch somebody doing it even on a radio team of mine, they're gone. I don't care how anyone wants to justify it or how much they say I am wrong for it, they're not only gone but will make my ignore list.

36 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I'm going to be that guy and say, if I catch somebody doing it even on a radio team of mine, they're gone. I don't care how anyone wants to justify it or how much they say I am wrong for it, they're not only gone but will make my ignore list.

I have to agree. Whenever I put out a call that I'm forming a team there are always more people reply than I have room for. Someone doing this is taking a spot from a genuine person. I do run fire farms though, and I prefer people who door sit, so unless I have lots of people wanting to join in then that's the only time I would allow a dual box to happen. I ran one this morning and had way more people ask to join than I had room for so dropped my own dual box toon to let a real person join. If I won't dual box on my own farm due to demand then I won't let someone else do it either.

• Like 1

I multibox early in the morning when the servers aren't that populated. I used to do it to PL my alts but now I  do to run The Freakshow War arc for 55 merits x 2-3 (110-165  merits) for about 70 minutes of work. I run it 4 times and get enough merits for any AT IO's and Purple Recipe sets. I also will multibox to farm Catalyst. I can usually get 10-15 Catalyst in a 30 minutes.

Edited by RCU7115
  • Like 1

I created a second account as part of trying to figure out the comtinual mapserver issues I was having (since it seemed to affect only some accounts and not others).

Now that the solution seems to have been found (use a VPN or similar proxy server to route around whatever bad intermediate stage is causing the problem) about the only thing I can using the second account for would be for some RP where I want a main’s significant other or friend to also be present.

15 hours ago, Ade Lucas said:

I ran one this morning and had way more people ask to join than I had room for so dropped my own dual box toon to let a real person join.

If I'd been one of the door sitters, and known that I'd feel terrible, I really would

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

On 12/21/2019 at 5:37 AM, Ukase said:

You have a second account, great. I suggest you just use it for yourself, rather than bring both your characters to an 8 man team, or any other size team. You cannot serve two masters. You might play one well, but you're going to stink at the other one. At best, you have a great tank who just auto taunts, while your other character dishes out damage, or something along those lines. Another player would be able to taunt, mash things, and manage aggro better. 

It's really just common sense. There might be some limited circumstances where you could do both passably well, but who wants to team with someone that is only doing things passably well? I want your best effort, not 2 characters that are only doing a fraction of what they could be if you were giving them your full attention. 

Depends on the player and how they play their 2/3 characters. You can be far more effective in some situations than 2/3 singletons. But it's like any player skill, a good player is going to be better than a mediocre player.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:02 AM, Solarverse said:

If I want to team with my triple box I either run them myself, or explain to the leader before I join. It's a social activity, if you/I cannot communicate what you're trying to do before joining a team you deserve to be kicked. IMO it's no different to someone who purposefully gimps themselves eg Petless MM, or all Powerpool builds. However educating the masses about what you're doing and why on the forums will help some people to understand what and why we do it.

• Thanks 1

OK, here's my findings. It's obvious at first and was proven at play.  Make your primary toon a ranged hero and your secondary toon a melee.

To control my secondary, I use a wireless external numeric pad and keep it next to my main keyboard. To reduce relying on the mouse for the secondary, I assigned "Follow", "Select Nearest Enemy", "Select Next Enemy", and "Select Player 1 (or Player 2 if the mish is for the secondary)" to 4 of the keys (non-numeric) in the numeric pad.

Before I engage a group of villains before me, I left-click (using primary's mouse) on my secondary (that way you can see what your secondary is targeting), "Select Nearest Enemy" (using secondary's numeric pad), then "Follow". Basically, my left hand doing the shooting/healing, and my right hand doing the bashing. On occasion a villain sneaks in to attack my primary. So with a "Select Player 1" - "Follow" - "Select Nearest Enemy" - bash (one of the numbered keys) I get rescued.

Also, I suggest that secondary should have flight power.

Finally, you should make sure that the secondary's camera is pointing to the same direction as your primary. Once in awhile I would make the mistake of assuming my secondary is targeting a group before me but when actually it was targeting a group behind me.

Edited by WarriorBSD