Stargate(s)

Since GM Widower demanded it (with threats of zatnikatel blasts, honest!*), here we have the Stargate thread!

The original 1994 movie was great!  Absolutely fantastic for its time, in fact.  It's easy to see how it wound up with a series just three years later.  A series filmed in Canada!  (hurrEh!)  While Jack O'Neill quickly became a big departure from O'Neil, and as much as I really like Kurt Russell as an actor, I have to say that Richard Dean Anderson just -made- the whole SG-1 series for me.  His dry irreverence with moments of intensity was so perfect.  The way the other cast bounced off of his performances was an absolute riot!

While I grew up on Star Trek (The Next Generation, specifically), SG-1 was a pretty big influence in my life when I started to get in to the games industry.  I still remember my team crowding around one of our peer's laptops to watch the return of Daniel Jackson on a copy of the episode that he had ripped.  While not everyone was a huge fan of the series, there was plenty of laughter at seeing a naked and bewildered Michael Shanks.

So!  What about you?  (GM Widower specifically)

*(not honest)

Also, seriously:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/14107-switch-the-video-gaming-board-to-general-gaming/

This should probably just get renamed "Geek Cultural" for the amount of comic discussion actually taking place here so far.

• Like 1

SGU was really good, though I was disappointed by the comic continuation.  I somehow doubt that's really where the show would have gone with a full creative team. 

The movie was decent as well.  The whole take on the Ancient Aliens and Egypt stuff worked IMO.

Since I watched SGU first I couldn't get into SG1 and Atlantis at least not at that time.  Though I have meant to give them another shot. 

I tend to prefer hard Sci Fi, and while SGU isn't remotely that, at least they spend a lot of time trying to figure out the Destiny Ascension and its mission.  As well as struggling to survive on a ship a million years past its sell by date. 

18 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

This should probably just get renamed "Geek Cultural" for the amount of comic discussion actually taking place here so far.

The problem with trying to keep up on comics is they cost a fortune these days. 

That and I can't buy them with my parents money ... =p

53 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

Also, seriously:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/14107-switch-the-video-gaming-board-to-general-gaming/

There are plenty upon plenty of Star Trek comic books, as well as Stargate comic books.  Heck, there were even Babylon 5 comic books.

And Farscape comics.  And Firefly comics.  ... don't think there's any Lexx comics, though.  Yet, none of them came up in the four pages of discussion there.

It just dawned on me . . . Amanda Tapping and Christopher Judge deserve special recognition for being lead cast for the entire duration of the series.  Neither Shanks nor Anderson pulled that off.

I think it mostly had to do with how much they tried to ape Battlestar Gallatica's "gritty" cinematic style more than anything.  The drama in Universe wasn't the issue.  I think the pointless close-ups and hazy film just pushed what could have been a serious character drama in to the realm of the supreme melodrama, without the accompanying campiness to justify it.

9 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

I think it mostly had to do with how much they tried to ape Battlestar Gallatica's "gritty" cinematic style more than anything.  The drama in Universe wasn't the issue.  I think the pointless close-ups and hazy film just pushed what could have been a serious character drama in to the realm of the supreme melodrama, without the accompanying campiness to justify it.

The reboot BSG ... that was a cool show.

Too bad it got cancelled after season 2. 

I love SG1....but to be honest, the only reason I initially watched it is RDA.  I am a die-hard MacGyver fan and I think (the sadly just one season) Legend may be my favorite tv series.  I have not watched the other SG series but they are on my list.

Also on my list are BSG and B5.  I tend to follow actors I like to whatever project they are working on and then get very caught up in the shows themselves if the character development is done well.  

(I dont have Wi-Fi or television service so 'my list' refers to dvd sets I want to add to my collection)

Umm...BSG had 4 Seasons.

SGU had 2 seasons, unfortunately.

I loved all of SG-1, didn't get that much into Atlantis (at the time it aired, I thought it was copy-paste of the SG-1 team), and really loved SGU for a different take on the formula (being more dramatic, less comedy, more over-story arcs).  I wished it had gotten to finish out, along with Atlantis having its real finale (which was even going to be produced by the main actor for the series!).

But SG-1 was so good.  Loved the characters, the jokes (its O'Niell with 2 Ls...that other guy is a bit too serious), and just how the cast loved the show.  I watched a video about the whole thing last week that was really nice in explaining a lot of the behind the scenes on how the movie and series came about, the issues with money/moving from Showtime to Sci-fi, and changes to a lot of writers, producters, directors, et all.

3 hours ago, Haijinx said:

There were 2.

I have no idea what that weird spinoff called seasons 3 and 4 was. 

Get the Frak out of here with that nonsense. ;)

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

SG1 was a good extension of the movie and while actors were changed, I think it was a Good change. Best Outtake EVER!

SGA was even better because it was away from earth TBH

BSG (reboot) was WAY better than the original as it even went deep(er?) into the history of the colonies

SGU took the BSG concept and design and went with it. IDK why Sci-Fi chan has a habit of killing things (because some lady CEO likes sweaty men, I mean wrestling I think) before they're actually done (that ending was Rushed...pun Absolutely intended)

Don't get me started on Firefly...

B5 was meh TBH

Farscape was decent and you get to see the on-screen chemistry later found in SG1

SeaQuest was a cool side-quest from TNG at the time

Earth2 was too short lived and a nice attempt at Lost in Space (the newer one Is really cool!)

Andromeda was fine, but I think it was for those more into Sorbo

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

18 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

SG1 was a good extension of the movie and while actors were changed, I think it was a Good change. Best Outtake EVER!

BSG (reboot) was WAY better than the original as it even went deep(er?) into the history of the colonies

SGU took the BSG concept and design and went with it. IDK why Sci-Fi chan has a habit of killing things (because some lady CEO likes sweaty men, I mean wrestling I think) before they're actually done (that ending was Rushed...pun Absolutely intended)

B5 was meh TBH

Farscape was decent and you get to see the on-screen chemistry later found in SG1

Earth2 was too short lived and a nice attempt at Lost in Space (the newer one Is really cool!)

The Skiffy... err... I mean Syfy Channel will kill off any show after one to three seasons that they don't fully own.  See Dark Matter and Krypton for examples.  It doesn't matter how popular or successful it is.  If Syfy doesn't fully own it, lock, stock, and barrel, it has three seasons or less of life.  Really, at this point, selling a show to Skiffy is foolish.

SeaQuest was on the same day and time as Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, so I never saw it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WanderingAries said:

B5 was meh TBH

What was wrong with Firefly?

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

The Skiffy... err... I mean Syfy Channel will kill off any show after one to three seasons that they don't fully own.  See Dark Matter and Krypton for examples.  It doesn't matter how popular or successful it is.  If Syfy doesn't fully own it, lock, stock, and barrel, it has three seasons or less of life.  Really, at this point, selling a show to Skiffy is foolish.

SeaQuest was on the same day and time as Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, so I never saw it.

There are some story synopsis of the early season 4 episodes that had been outlined for Dark Matter.  You can watch them on You Tube.

Dark Matter had its moments. I thought it was entertaining. 

22 hours ago, Haijinx said:

What was wrong with Firefly?

A decade or more with no seasons 2-Inifinity?

On 1/29/2020 at 8:04 PM, Haijinx said:
On 1/29/2020 at 8:01 PM, Apparition said:

I thought it was canceled a few episodes into the third season.  Specifically, I think the last episode had this.

Weird.  Why they all on a planet? 

That is actually at the end of Season 3, Then over the next 2 years they aired 2 shortened seasons referred to as Season 4.0 and Season 4.5 which brought the Story to an end. They tied up a lot of loose ends and the finale was really cool as they end up at the Cylon Colony, complete with a mix of Original series Centurians and the Contemporary ones.

• Confused 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X