Retrieving Character List very slow...

HyperAi

I pulled my old computer out of the mothballs to play CoH again in style. It could run the game in ultra with no problems. Everything works flawlessly when in game but retrieving the characters takes forever. Funny thing is I was running the game on my surface pro 3 prior and I have no problems loading the characters. Some insight would be awesome.

Character screen has been slow since the last update I think.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I think some of the times it says loading character screen you're actually in a queue. Like, not a login queue but a character select queue.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I have this happening as well on One computer. to define this a bit more, The account is logged in, and the server selected. Next thing I should see is the character selection screen. the time this screen takes to show/load is several MINUTES.

When I do the above on a different computer, the time is short, i.e. a few seconds or what I remember as a normal amount time for City of Heroes.

I've gone so far as to create a second account to test this. Both accounts, on my windows 7 computer take minutes for the "Retrieving Character list" to happen. On my Windows 10 computer, both accounts load in seconds to that screen.

Troubleshooting wise, I need more data. This is leaning towards operating system difference, but could just be something related to having installed/removed/reinstalled  the game on the Windows 7 system several times now.

I.e. I am not sure if there are 'old' parts looking for the game at the 'old' locations and only 'working' once the actual game location is 'found'.

I think, I will try installing (clean) on a different windows 7 system and see what happens there.

I'm on a Windows 7 computer and the way it works for me is if it's off hours and I login the character screen comes up right away.

If it's peak times it takes several minutes and if I back out to select another server it says "Do you want to give your place up in queue?".

As I said before, I think we're queued but it's just not telling us.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Doesn't seem to matter much how many people are on (probably atleast 1k on Torch at all times I bet), it always takes like 10-30s. That's why my name-game yesterday took like 2hrs. >.<

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

As I said before, I think we're queued but it's just not telling us.

I swear this is true, but a quick switch to the status page says no. Mind you, it says torch is like 1.5k-1.9k at the time.

I just got my new Windows 10 PC. I moved my NVIDIA video card from my Windows 7 PC over to the Win10 PC, and loaded up the game. NO pause while it was loading the character selection screen. Maybe something to do with Windows 7 and the latest patch?

I'm out.

Maybe something to do with Windows 7 and the latest patch?

That's my theory, or at least that it's something operating-system-install specific.  I play on a dual-boot Win7/Linux laptop and, on the same hardware, same network connection, same install directory, same everything-except-operating-system, my character list comes up near-instantaneously in Linux but takes tens of seconds up to a couple minutes(? - I haven't actually timed the upper bound) in Win7.  And I play primarily on Reunion (because I'm EU-side), so high server pop or any kind of queuing is not the issue.  I've seen the same delay in Win7 shortly after a server restart, when the status page shows only 150-200 players connected.

(Unfortunately, I am no longer able to run comparative tests.  I can't get winetricks to install dinput8 for me, so the CoH client stopped working following the update that was issued when they relocated all the servers.)

I get that the server page says there aren't queues for login but still, when you're on that loading character selection page it says you're in a queue if you go to leave. I haven't actually SEEN a queue in quite a while but even when I did I'd leave the login queue page and then I'd be on the character select loading screen for 5+ minutes and if I went to back out it'd give that "leave place in queue" message.

So is it possible that Win 7 is just not being handled correctly at all by the login server somehow? I do sometimes load the character screen in 30-90 seconds but that is abnormally fast for me. Three to five minutes is routine. Even last night checking sales on a character on Everlasting and then switching back to Excelsior - five minutes.

• 2 months later

Still having this issue. Takes 45 seconds or more to load character screen. This would not really be an issue but the way i like to play i farm, watch chat and look for groups to join and switch to alt. With this kind of load time really affecting my game. Same as others when i try hit back button it ask me Are you sure you want to leave your place in queue. This load time is always long for me no matter what server population is. I only play on the torchbearer server. Any fix to this issue would be appreciated. 

system info.7z

Same here. My main computer (running Windows 7), which I built specifically to handle high-end AAA games, takes FOREVER on character select. My crappy laptop (win 10) that I multibox on once in a  while only needs a few seconds on the character select screen.

Though I wonder... My main computer has my old CoH directory from when the game was live, whereas the laptop has a directory DLed directly from the manifest. Is it possible that there are some files from Live that aren't on HC that might be causing a conflict that takes a minute to resolve?

11 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

Same here. My main computer (running Windows 7), which I built specifically to handle high-end AAA games, takes FOREVER on character select. My crappy laptop (win 10) that I multibox on once in a  while only needs a few seconds on the character select screen.

Though I wonder... My main computer has my old CoH directory from when the game was live, whereas the laptop has a directory DLed directly from the manifest. Is it possible that there are some files from Live that aren't on HC that might be causing a conflict that takes a minute to resolve?

Yeah it seems to be a windows 7 related issue, as far as i can tell no windows 10 users have the issue. and friends i play with on windows 10 load character screen super fast. I installed tequila and the game and never had COH on this pc. Deleted all folders and reinstalled it once.  Since others are having the issue i doubt your old files are effecting anything. Will you ever have a use for old live files... Maybe someone with more knowledge can shed a light on the for ya. 

Edited by madmatz2012
add

Sometimes it takes a while for me, others not so much. I've noticed such:

It's not your internet connection. I had trouble with mine and had to resort to a pocket wifi gizmo. Same slow load as now that my ethernet is plugged back in.

It's not your computer or OS. I play on a Mac (El Capitan and Sierra) and the stuff you people are describing on Windows is happening to me.

It's not the server load/population. I play in the oddest hours on the EU server which never reaches the 3 red dots full. I've played when the other servers were red, and I've played when the other servers only had 2 yellow capacity with EU having only one green. Still the same.

I have (left/right) clicked on the character screen while it's loading and it does say I'm being queued. So I think it's a server issue. I'm sure the good peeps and GMs are aware of this.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 7:50 AM, Six Six said:

I have (left/right) clicked on the character screen while it's loading and it does say I'm being queued. So I think it's a server issue. I'm sure the good peeps and GMs are aware of this.

I am having this issue.  Consistently.  I'm running Windows 7 Pro.  4 computers actually.  If I click the back button it asks if I'm sure I want to lose my place in the queue.  On my work Macbook Pro it did not do this.  Not sure why the client OS would be causing this at all though.  I ran this under WinXP back in the day all the way to the end and never had this problem.

This has been a known issue.  I believe it's still under investigation but there was such an urgency to get the 64-bit client up and going that it may have been put on the back burner for now.  It's been happening to me off and on from day 1 and I'm on Win10.  However, I have one of the crappiest internet connections left on the planet, so I can't be sure it's not on my end, because it's not consistent.

Edit:  Oh, dang, y'all!  I didn't have any issues at all with it in the new 64-bit client.  Maybe they worked in a fix!

Edited by Korbian
Added new info.

I run Win10 and have used the 64 bit for 2 days now.  I still get this occasionally when I "log off to character screen" to switch alts and if I hit the back button I get that bit about leaving the queue.  However it is just occasional and does seem to coincide with heavy server traffic.

Maybe its actually more than one issue....one for older windows or clients and one for up to date stuff but both problems manifest in the same manner?

I'm getting slow loading for the character select screen as well. About a minute before my screen pops up, using Windows7 x64. Haven't tried on my win10 laptop, been busy moving and haven't felt like digging it out. But as problems go, this is minor and nowhere near the wait to get the character screen to load after November 30, 2012. THAT was a long wait.  😛

Hello, my name is Ynaught and I am an altaholic.

10 hours ago, Ynaught said:

I'm getting slow loading for the character select screen as well. About a minute before my screen pops up, using Windows7 x64. Haven't tried on my win10 laptop, been busy moving and haven't felt like digging it out. But as problems go, this is minor and nowhere near the wait to get the character screen to load after November 30, 2012. THAT was a long wait.  😛

Yeah, at this point it's a HC vs Win7 thing and...I see what you did there. ;)

Same here. On my Windows7 desktop-PC loading the character selection screen takes minutes, on my Windows 10 notebook, the screen loads immediately. The desktop-PC is the one where CoH was originally installed years ago. I am not sure, but I think I never uninstalled it and the folder with all the content is still existing. However, the tequila installation resides in a different folder on the same hard disc. 

Searching through the registry, I found several references to the original installation folder and the cityofheroes.exe file as well as references to the tequila folder. Listing all installed programs with CCleaner doesn't show any entry of the original installation, NClauncher or any other reference to the original installation.

Did anyone experiencing the same problems have references to an original CoH installation in their registry?

Gamma_Sig_300.png.b3555a4381484348083a1d07e1ac38f9.png