Save and Load Command for Power Tray Configuration

VileTerror

I have actually been meaning to post this for a while, and if I failed in my search-fu and someone else already made this suggestion, I apologize.  I realize another topic on this subject just came up, and they proposed a different solution.  Since I had this partially written already, sitting in limbo, I figure that I'd go ahead and finish composing my thoughts and get it out there.

One of the problems I have, which I don't seem to see many other players expressing, is that I have so many Temp Powers that I never even get to see any of my Primary or Secondaries, let alone my Pool Powers, after a Respec.  This is a pretty significant pain in the rear, frankly.

Pre-Respec:

351140196_PreRespecTraySample.thumb.jPg.33499ed964045c6aa5103b754561d5b7.jPg

Post-Respec:

1529323039_PostRespecTraySample.thumb.jPg.a5f01447c396c0d2c0aafa6b6a4a6102.jPg

I would like to have the addition of new functions for rearranging Powers in the Tray Slots in the form of slash commands, a la:  /chatloadfile /bindloadfile /optionsavefile /wdwsavefile etc.

/traysave

/trayload

/traysavefile

/trayloadfile

Saving would create a simple TXT document which records the name of any Power currently in a Tray Slot, and the specific Slot and Tray which that Power is in.

ie:  

Mastermind_Buff.Traps.Web Grenade,1,1

Mastermind_Buff.Traps.Caltrops,2,1

Mastermind_Buff.Traps.Triage Beacon,3,1

Load would replace any Power in a Tray Slot (or empty Slot) with the Power listed in the TXT file.  Prioritizing in order of left to right, in cases where the Power is already in that Tray (which would return an error, since you can't have the same Power twice in the same Tray).

Any Tray Slots not recorded would be unchanged from the current layout (granting players authority to either /cleartray or not before using /loadtray at their own discretion).

Not only would this help with the post-Respec clean-up of Trays, but would also be a huge help for players like me with over 100 Alts who like to put the same Temp/Prestige Powers in to the same Slots on every character.  And when I update my Power Tray configuration, it would be stellar not to have to manually change it on each character one at a time, one power click-and-drag at a time.

Please.

And thank you.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later

Thing is, @nzer; if this option gets added, then your suggestion could also get added.  Just have the initial call for a Respec on a character also hit the save command for the Tray layout, and then when the Respec finishes, it automatically applies the load command.  Bim.  Bam.  Sploosh!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

Thing is, @nzer; if this option gets added, then your suggestion could also get added.  Just have the initial call for a Respec on a character also hit the save command for the Tray layout, and then when the Respec finishes, it automatically applies the load command.  Bim.  Bam.  Sploosh!

Yup, absolutely. Just wanted to call out that it should be automatic for respecs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm okay with it being automatic, but I'm also a huge proponent of player-agency and self-directed control.  As such, an option to use the current "refill the Power Trays with this bizarre temp-powers-first priority," just so the people who want it can still have it.
I mean, I'll even settle for being able to choose which Sets are prioritized in the Tray refill.  Why aren't the Primary and Secondary Sets prioritized!?  Why are -temp- Powers the first ones to show up after a Respec?!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later
On 2/2/2020 at 4:17 PM, VileTerror said:

I have actually been meaning to post this for a while, and if I failed in my search-fu and someone else already made this suggestion, I apologize.  I realize another topic on this subject just came up, and they proposed a different solution.  Since I had this partially written already, sitting in limbo, I figure that I'd go ahead and finish composing my thoughts and get it out there.

One of the problems I have, which I don't seem to see many other players expressing, is that I have so many Temp Powers that I never even get to see any of my Primary or Secondaries, let alone my Pool Powers, after a Respec.  This is a pretty significant pain in the rear, frankly.

Pre-Respec:

351140196_PreRespecTraySample.thumb.jPg.33499ed964045c6aa5103b754561d5b7.jPg

Post-Respec:

1529323039_PostRespecTraySample.thumb.jPg.a5f01447c396c0d2c0aafa6b6a4a6102.jPg

I would like to have the addition of new functions for rearranging Powers in the Tray Slots in the form of slash commands, a la:  /chatloadfile /bindloadfile /optionsavefile /wdwsavefile etc.

/traysave

/trayload

/traysavefile

/trayloadfile

Saving would create a simple TXT document which records the name of any Power currently in a Tray Slot, and the specific Slot and Tray which that Power is in.

ie:  

Mastermind_Buff.Traps.Web Grenade,1,1

Mastermind_Buff.Traps.Caltrops,2,1

Mastermind_Buff.Traps.Triage Beacon,3,1

Load would replace any Power in a Tray Slot (or empty Slot) with the Power listed in the TXT file.  Prioritizing in order of left to right, in cases where the Power is already in that Tray (which would return an error, since you can't have the same Power twice in the same Tray).

Any Tray Slots not recorded would be unchanged from the current layout (granting players authority to either /cleartray or not before using /loadtray at their own discretion).

Not only would this help with the post-Respec clean-up of Trays, but would also be a huge help for players like me with over 100 Alts who like to put the same Temp/Prestige Powers in to the same Slots on every character.  And when I update my Power Tray configuration, it would be stellar not to have to manually change it on each character one at a time, one power click-and-drag at a time.

Please.

And thank you.

I want to bear your children....

• Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

My spouse and I are actually trying to adopt or find a surrogate . . . 

I mean, not that such has anything to do with the topic of this thread, but you kind of brought it up.

ANYWAY!  BACK ON TOPIC!

I learnt recently that it's possible to actually Respec and then drop all the non-Primary/Secondary Powers by immediately zoning after Respec'ing.  I've not tested this extensively yet, but I pulled it off a couple of times using the /enterbase command.  It's obviously not a solution, but it's at least a potential workaround for some of us while we wait for someone to program a version of this thread's idea.

Since you want criticism... er...

"No! And your screenshots could be color balanced better!"

... that work? 🙂

OK, that done. I'm pretty sure this has been asked for since live, and would still be nice to have.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

• 11 months later

I was just hobbling down to this forum to make roughly this exact thread, so I'll instead add my voice to the enthusiastically supportive din and give it a lil' bump.

If the command 🚨 also saves macros 🚨, holy moly that'd be great. Macros aren't affected by the respec use case per se, but other sorts of tray-swapping antics would still benefit — passing gads of macros between characters, for instance. Or swapping between test-layouts. One could even use a couple of tray-load macros to swap between two or more configs, effectively granting 18+ tray rows, for those so inclined.

Edited by Aeolius
  • Thanks 1

The new Popmenu tech is wonderfully close to what we're looking for, actually.

Once the Devs find a way to get countdown timers and/or animated Power buttons in the popmenus, then we'll be golden!  We'll be able to write custom Power Trays, save them, copy them, share them, and create all kinds of shortcut combos!

I can scarcely wait!

But, of course, I wouldn't be against the original /traysave /trayload idea getting implemented anyway.

• Like 1

I was thinking of that one command to make a .txt download of /bind commands in case someone forgets what button they got hooked up to "that action". Your suggestion puts that idea one step further. I like it!

Edited by GGamerGirl

I remain,

The Grumpy Gamer Girl and the Big Green Dragon

• 1 month later
On 2/6/2020 at 2:06 AM, nihilii said:

I think even a madman would struggle to disagree with your suggestion.

Initially i liked this suggestion then i read your challenge.  So now i disagree.

For starters as a child i worked on coal mines and walked up hill both ways to get to "work".  A few power trays are nothing.

Additionally it improves hand eye coordination, typing, and general computer skills to redo them 

Finally take a picture you lazy sob's.

Ohh and get off my damn lawn!

• 2 years later

Yes, this would be SUPER HELPFUL for many, many people, and yes it’s beyond criticism. 

Along with power icons there are also macro buttons. We definitely need an easy way to save our macros and macro commands, Similar to the /bind_save and /bindsave_file family of commands. /macro_save, /macro_load, /macro_save_file, macro_load_file. Depending on how the Macros.txt default file is formatted, the /bind_load_file command can step in as a working substitute for the /macro_load_file command since it currently works well to load in macros. 

Edited by BlackSpectre
Typo

If one change was made to popmenus I’d love to see them be able to activate other popmenus or even themselves to create loops for helpful info and clicking.  Right now if you do that for any other level than the second, sub-menus activating a popmenu will lock it up. 

After that, ability to color titles and text, ability to write comments without having to resort to activating fake  badges to do so would would be great. After that, the ability to use images or emojis would do wonders. Just the basics. 

Edited by BlackSpectre
Typo