Comic Books

I have to assume that there's at least a couple of die-hard City of Heroes/Villains fans who are also into comics, superhero ones or otherwise. Anyone reading anything right now? Are you keeping up with current stuff or going back to the old reliables? What are some of your favourites?

I haven't been able to keep up with a lot of current stuff lately as money's tight and comics are, to be honest, a very expensive hobby, but I did buy the J.M. DeMatteis run of Dr. Fate years back and so I'm going through that again. At some point I also want to do another reread (I'm not sure what number this would be) of all of Astro City, which is a series I associate with CoX a lot, and I'm guessing I'm not the only fan of it here.

@Hissatsuman, you can mainly find me on Everlasting!

The price is usually the showstopper for me as well.

Marvel has a subscription model that lets you read 1000s of available comics for $9.99 a month.

I have reupped for a while every couple of years to catch up on more recent stuff and reread things, or check out obscure titles, etc.  

They generally run about a year behind (or so) off current editions. 

____

I generally prefer the Gotham DC stuff to Marvel, but DC doesn't have that sort of service (as far as I know)

I do prefer Marvel to the JLA / Metropoliptic DC stuff though.

27 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

The price is usually the showstopper for me as well.

Marvel has a subscription model that lets you read 1000s of available comics for $9.99 a month.

I have reupped for a while every couple of years to catch up on more recent stuff and reread things, or check out obscure titles, etc.  

They generally run about a year behind (or so) off current editions. 

____

I generally prefer the Gotham DC stuff to Marvel, but DC doesn't have that sort of service (as far as I know)

I do prefer Marvel to the JLA / Metropoliptic DC stuff though.

DC Comics now does have a similar service.  DC Universe.  It's $75 per year, and you get access to over 20,000 DC comic books and many DC Comics television shows and movies.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Apparition said:

DC Comics now does have a similar service.  DC Universe.  It's $75 per year, and you get access to over 20,000 DC comic books and many DC Comics television shows and movies.

Sadly, only available in the US.

2 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Yeah, I was subscribed for a good while to Marvel Unlimited, really good service. I've gone through a bunch of long runs on there, Tomb of Dracula, the original Exiles, Gruenwald Cap....there's so much good stuff on it!
I can take or leave the JLA as a group, but the JSA are where it's at.

@Hissatsuman, you can mainly find me on Everlasting!

I was a longstanding DC fan until 2012, when Brian Azzarello's vandalism of Wonder Woman and her world killed a forty year fandom and made me drop my DC subscriptions for several years.   I still follow a few artists and get a few books, but nowhere near like before. 

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

23 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

I was a longstanding DC fan until 2012, when Brian Azzarello's vandalism of Wonder Woman and her world killed a forty year fandom and made me drop my DC subscriptions for several years.   I still follow a few artists and get a few books, but nowhere near like before. 

Yeah.  I've been a DC Comics fanboy since the early 1980s.  Identity Crisis in the mid-aughts began weaning me off of it.  The New 52 accelerated that weaning.  I briefly came back for Convergence and then Rebirth, but with the same crew running things that ran Identity Crisis and The New 52, things didn't really change.

With DC Universe, I occasionally check out the newer stuff, but most of it is meh.  Still, DC Universe is great for reading the huge back catalog.

Actually have about a 1/2 dozen tubs of 1970s-1990s Marvel, X-Men, New Mutants, X-Caliber, X-Factor, SubMariner, Machine Man, Wolverine, She Hulk etc. Going to catalog them for sale soon as a pre-retirement supplement. Even have a rough1940s Captain America that I found in a junk box at a Flea Market when I was in High School. Sold my 1970s-1980s Avengers and Fantastic Four 30 years ago for about $4000 so I figure the stuff I still have should price out well. Haven't even looked at them for years, just taking up space, just like all my music gear, lol.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

9 hours ago, Marine X said:

Actually have about a 1/2 dozen tubs of 1970s-1990s Marvel, X-Men, New Mutants, X-Caliber, X-Factor, SubMariner, Machine Man, Wolverine, She Hulk etc. Going to catalog them for sale soon as a pre-retirement supplement. Even have a rough1940s Captain America that I found in a junk box at a Flea Market when I was in High School. Sold my 1970s-1980s Avengers and Fantastic Four 30 years ago for about $4000 so I figure the stuff I still have should price out well. Haven't even looked at them for years, just taking up space, just like all my music gear, lol.

I'd thought the same about 20 years ago and found that nearly everything from the 80's & 90's was mostly worthless.  I had several thousand issues, mostly complete runs from the early 80's to the mid to late 90's and only got about 5 cents an issue on average.  If I'd sold them myself piecemeal I might have done a bit better but still they weren't worth much.  Apparently the comic market glutted in that era and there's way more supply than collector demand.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Most of the 1970s stuff before the glut tend, especially the important issues, to be priced very well. Some of the later stuff is disposable. Not much use in keeping them now anyway. Some stuff like first appearances of meaningless characters at the time, that became popular later, like Deadpool in the New Mutants, are still quite highly priced. Wish I had a copy of Hulk #181 ( Nov 1974 ), first appearance of Wolverine, top condition is listed at over $10,000. Damn it.

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

• 3 weeks later
On 2/15/2020 at 6:28 PM, Dudesoft said:

I've been digging into My Hero Academia lately. Also started on Strangers in Paradise, and I Hate Fairyland.

Also, started up my own webcomic! (Phantasos.ca)

I have your site pulled up, I'll check it out tomorrow.

On 2/10/2020 at 4:08 PM, Sailboat said:

Been a long time since I bought paper comic books.  Any interest in superhero webcomics?  I have couple of suggestions. 

I'd be interested.

I know I used to read one about beings that crashed on earth and were worshipped as gods, but I forgot what it was called.

On 2/10/2020 at 4:08 PM, Sailboat said:

Been a long time since I bought paper comic books.  Any interest in superhero webcomics?  I have couple of suggestions. 

Well, I've enjoyed http://grrlpowercomic.com/.  If comics have a decent storyline and acceptable artwork I'll follow it.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Been collecting X-Men regularly for .. um... wow.... a looong time.  Other titles get depending on if I'm interested in the story line or particular character.  Think Ms Marvel is the only other title I'm currently getting regularly.   If you include Manga then  One Punch Man,  My Hero Academia Vigilante, Attack on Titan.

As I said in a previous thread I quit collecting comics 12 years ago. I was a hardcore Marvel collector of all Avenger, Spider-man and FF comics including the soloes. When I found out my wife was pregnant I siad that comic collecting had to go. I would just let all story lines end and then stop. Well I was glad it happened then because over in Spider-mans world they did a story line where Aunt May died by a sniper and Mephisto gave Pete and MJ a choice to bring her back. It was a horrible story line and it stunk that it was the last one I read from my absolute favorite Hero. Meanwhile around the same time the World War Hulk story was going on. Now Planet Hulk was one of the best Hulk story lines I ever read. Not to mention Civil War had just ended and I absolutely loved it. What got me mad was that no-one died in WW Hulk. After what they ( the Illuminati) did to Hulk someone should of paid the price but nope. Anyhow I am happy I don't collect anymore especially considering the price these days. Seriously imagine paying $5 for a filler issue. Bleh! I get my fix with the movies these days.

• 2 months later
On 3/10/2020 at 5:06 PM, Nafsmar said:

As I said in a previous thread I quit collecting comics 12 years ago. I was a hardcore Marvel collector of all Avenger, Spider-man and FF comics including the soloes. When I found out my wife was pregnant I siad that comic collecting had to go. I would just let all story lines end and then stop. Well I was glad it happened then because over in Spider-mans world they did a story line where Aunt May died by a sniper and Mephisto gave Pete and MJ a choice to bring her back. It was a horrible story line and it stunk that it was the last one I read from my absolute favorite Hero. Meanwhile around the same time the World War Hulk story was going on. Now Planet Hulk was one of the best Hulk story lines I ever read. Not to mention Civil War had just ended and I absolutely loved it. What got me mad was that no-one died in WW Hulk. After what they ( the Illuminati) did to Hulk someone should of paid the price but nope. Anyhow I am happy I don't collect anymore especially considering the price these days. Seriously imagine paying $5 for a filler issue. Bleh! I get my fix with the movies these days.

I was a hardcore DC and Marvel collector for a long time, spending easily $200+ month in Comics.  But decided at some point it was no longer worth the investment.  When I need a fix, I can usually get what I want from Marvel Unlimited, or Comixcology Unlimited (wait...did you think I stopped cold turkey?)

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I've been a DC fan for a loooooong time, since just after the Crisis, so I got into at a good time to start them. Made the choice for DC over Marvel, I knew from looking at the shelves I could never manage to afford both 🙂

Still read them all every week, the past couple of months has been......challenging for a fan 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 11:16 AM, justicebeliever said:

I can usually get what I want from Marvel Unlimited

About a month ago I decided to try the trial of Marvel Unlimited and I really enjoyed it. So I decided that since this pandemic has left life a little, lets say boring, I subscribed to it with a goal to start at FF 1 and work up til I hit the stuff I have already read. I know this will take a long while but its giving me the ability to read comics I will never afford and also see the Marvel universe grow as it did in the 60's. I am up to Jun '63 at the moment. Its nice because you can search by publication date. I am about to hit the X-men and Avengers. Between you and Me though I am glad Hulk only went 6 issues lol. 

8 hours ago, Nafsmar said:

About a month ago I decided to try the trial of Marvel Unlimited and I really enjoyed it. So I decided that since this pandemic has left life a little, lets say boring, I subscribed to it with a goal to start at FF 1 and work up til I hit the stuff I have already read. I know this will take a long while but its giving me the ability to read comics I will never afford and also see the Marvel universe grow as it did in the 60's. I am up to Jun '63 at the moment. Its nice because you can search by publication date. I am about to hit the X-men and Avengers. Between you and Me though I am glad Hulk only went 6 issues lol. 

I've been doing the same thing, but I've started at the 80's

Trouble is, I forgot how........different some of the stuff back was in the 80's! Man, the way the did Power Man back then, would NOT work today 😄

I tried that when i had marvel now but i'm so ridiculously completionist that i gave up because they didn't have all of the terrible 60s human torch books on there at the time. this ultimately led to my insane external hard drive hoard which would require several lifetimes to read even if i didn't also have regular books, games and shows to deal with. oh and i never even read comics as a kid (maybe had like 10 or so random grocery store pick ups growing up), this compulsion popped up full blown in my early 30s. Also I don't even like 95% or more of them and barely remember anything from book to book, much less over full runs. I'm completely insane.