Talk Me Out of Bio Armor

Saikochoro

7 hours ago, siolfir said:

Ablative Carapace and Parasitic Aura have "growing crap" for a couple of seconds each during the animations, while Genetic Contamination and each of the adapatations have a persistent aura.

Here's my SS/Bio with all toggles running:

image.thumb.png.cf48b7b92f94d57178e38926fc0bba4a.png

Using Ablative Carapace (this lasts for about 2 seconds):

image.thumb.png.92f7391f0531843c0b94414232fde347.png

And using Parasitic Aura (also lasts about two seconds):

image.thumb.png.daf5ada28a182b47f4556ec1fd84cc61.png

Yes, the effects are ugly but they aren't there for very long, or very often.

Actually, with that coloring....it's kinda pretty.

5 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

Er, just HOW would Stone Armor work on Stalkers?  Penalties of -run, -jump, -recharge, -damage baked into Granite Armor.  It's a not well thought out tanker set that doesn't lend itself to a damage oriented AT.

Er, um, that was the joke.  But now I'm tempted to make a Stone Armor character that runs Invisibility.....

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

36 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

Er, um, that was the joke.  But now I'm tempted to make a Stone Armor character that runs Invisibility.....

You do come up with some unusual concepts there, no doubt about that🤣

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Heraclea said:

Is this so no one can see the struggle to get over the cable lying on the floor or the convoluted process to get up onto a curb?

• Haha 3

If you like damage, go kinetics. On a corruptor it's brutal. It will offer far more damage to yourself and your team than bio armor ever could. Bio armor wishes it added half the damage kinetics does. You also get a much strong AOE heal, more recharge, and you can knock mobs back/down with repel (and get some +100% recharge procs to boot).

On 2/14/2020 at 1:14 AM, Saikochoro said:

Thanks all for the replies so far. I am planning to make a shield stalker, but haven’t decided what primary to use on it. 

I will also look into radiation as well. 

I also started a ninjitsu stalker. 

I will report back after I get them in the 30s and put basic IOs on them. 

Please feel free to continue posting opinions on this topic though as it continues to help me and possibly some others. 

SM/Shield two teleporting pbaoes, super fun, go nuts. You also get one of the only powers a stalker gets that helps their team with cover.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darkir said:

If you like damage, go kinetics. On a corruptor it's brutal. It will offer far more damage to yourself and your team than bio armor ever could. Bio armor wishes it added half the damage kinetics does. You also get a much strong AOE heal, more recharge, and you can knock mobs back/down with repel (and get some +100% recharge procs to boot).

I had started a fire / kin corruptor a while ago. I will put it on my list to start leveling up again. 

Kintrollers are fun.  My main (used in my avatar) is a Mind/Kin controller.  Very fun.

But I've been wondering how an Kinfender or Kinrruptor plays.  Has to be very different without controls and without MM pets just blasts and kin powers to shape the battle. 

Definitely on the to-do list.

I also strongly endorse a permadom.  My Plant/Psi is just amazing. 

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

Kintrollers are fun.  My main (used in my avatar) is a Mind/Kin controller.  Very fun.

But I've been wondering how an Kinfender or Kinrruptor plays.  Has to be very different without controls and without MM pets just blasts and kin powers to shape the battle. 

Definitely on the to-do list.

I also strongly endorse a permadom.  My Plant/Psi is just amazing. 

Fire/kin corrupter is supposed to be crazy strong.

And for anyone else out there elec/stone is an incredibly easy entry lvl permadom to shoot for. Elec helps with endurance issues, and stone attacks can mostly all slot the +recharge proc.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:33 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

Er, just HOW would Stone Armor work on Stalkers?  Penalties of -run, -jump, -recharge, -damage baked into Granite Armor.  It's a not well thought out tanker set that doesn't lend itself to a damage oriented AT.

I've played Stone Armor to 50 twice back in the issue 5-9 days and it's unrivaled for pure durability but it sacrifices everything that makes a damage AT to get there.  It's a big, nearly immobile stone wall that will survive nearly anything the game can throw, but it can't fight back well.  30% damage and recharge debuff as I recall, inability to jump over a 6" curb and massively slowed movement speed is incompatable with a primarily damage dealing character.

I played it in the days after the Great Defense Nerf and ED destroyed the durability of all other tanker sets because it was best suited for a pure tanking role and the only set to approach the durability tankers took for granted in the old days.  Once IO's came around and allowed other sets to once again compete on durability the penalties of Stone were no longer worth the benefits.

Taking care of Granite is easy, one of the powers needs to be replaced with Hide.  Usually this is the damage aura, with Stone Armor this is Mud Pots, but changing one power in a Stalker Defense set isn't that unusual.  We also have to consider Rooted, which is just as bad for mobility as Granite is (though, not for the rest of the system).  So, instead of Granite, it is switch with a different form, like Slate or something which offers a different set of options than Granite does.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

On 2/11/2020 at 6:58 PM, Saikochoro said:

I know that it’s supposed to be a good secondary, possibly even the best. But, I need to branch out. I’ve managed some success with going shield, but that locks out some primaries so it only works some of the time.

If you haven't, StJ/shield stalker. StJ is awesome on a stalker. I have a St/en at 43 which I is one of the few I would play after hitting 50.

Other fun options are Dark or Elec with /shield on stalkers as well. A Rad/shield scrapper should put out a good amount of damage.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

• 3 weeks later
On 2/12/2020 at 3:01 AM, Bill Z Bubba said:

But... I kinda like myself and see no reason to fully self-gimp.

Side note: You all do know you can go min FX on bio armor to get rid of the poop completely, right?

No, cause you still look like you're leaking Staph with every step you take. As a medical professional, I can't use this powerset, at all.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later

I know this is a bit of a necro, but I wanted to provide an update regarding my addiction to bio armor. 

I used to only use bio armor secondary on scrappers, stalkers, brutes, and sentinels. I have since been converted to other secondaries with a particular emphasis on energy aura. 

I have remade all my stalkers as energy aura as it is just so much better. I don’t have many brutes, but I remade my non fire farmer as an EA as well. For scrappers, I branched out a bit more. I have a couple shield defense, a couple energy aura, and one super reflexes. 

I have official been talked out of bio armor. Now, I have a hard time not using energy aura 😜

Edited by Saikochoro