Focused Feedback: Dark Melee Update (Build 1)

Jimmy

• City Council

Please use this topic to discuss the Dark Melee update.

Extract from the patch notes:

Dark Melee Update

• Dark Melee was seriously underperforming in the AoE department. These changes are aimed to increase the AoE potential of the set whilst having minimal impact on the single target potential.
  • Shadow Maul (Tanker, Scrapper, Brute, Stalker) is now a much larger, faster cone that's actually capable of easily hitting multiple targets - especially on tanks!
    • Arc increased from 45 to 120 degrees.
    • Recharge increased from 8 to 14 seconds.
    • Cast Time reduced from 3.07 to 2.35 seconds.
    • Damage lowered from scale 2.156 to 1.588.
      • DPS reduction is minor, it has only been lowered from scale 0.653 to scale 0.633.
    • Target Cap increased from 10 to 16 for Tankers.
    • Target Cap increased from 5 to 10 for Scrappers, Brutes and Stalkers.
  • Dark Consumption (Tanker, Scrapper, Brute) has been reworked into a Lightning Rod-style mini-nuke, with its damage scaling based on your current Endurance percentage. At full Endurance, Dark Consumption will now deal similar damage to Lightning Rod.
    • Recharge lowered from 180 seconds to 90 seconds.
      • This brings the cooldown in line with Lightning Rod.
    • Endurance recovered per target lowered from 25 to 12.5.
      • This maintains the previous endurance/recharge ratio.
    • Damage for this power is now variable, dealing damage equal to scale 2.2525 multiplied by the caster's current Endurance percentage.
      • Example: Caster at 75% endurance deals scale 2.25 * 0.75 = 1.6875 scale damage.
    • Enemies within a 3ft radius will take bonus damage equal to scale 0.9275 multiplied by the caster's current Endurance percentage.
      • This replicates the behaviour of Lightning Rod which also deals bonus damage to targets within 3ft.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• Jimmy featured and pinned this topic
1 minute ago, siolfir said:

Repeating the comment from the other thread so it's in the right spot: since Stalkers do not get Dark Consumption, would it be possible to keep the arc increase, but not lower the damage scale for the Stalker version of the set only?

I think this sounds like a good change to make.

• Like 1

Dark Consumption (Tanker, Scrapper, Brute) has been reworked into a Lightning Rod-style mini-nuke, with its damage scaling based on your current Endurance percentage. At full Endurance, Dark Consumption will now deal similar damage to Lightning Rod.

Like i said on the main thread about it, i feel more for changing Soul Drain into the warshade Black Dwarf Mire, it has the same effect, but is just a 20sec cooldown more in like with the other sets aoe's (be it 16 or 20sec cooldown).

• Like 1

I think I know the answer to this but I just wanted to get confirmation...will APP and Patron Powers one day get looked at?  I would love if other ATs could benefit from the Dark Consumption change!  For example on my Dominator Soul Mastery: Dark Consumption is at 360 seconds for it's base recharge.  It would be awesome if one day, we could continue the trend of making the APP versions double that of some powerset abilities.  I would love to see The Soul Mastery version get knocked down to the current base number of recharge that is now on live.  So for example 360 seconds goes down to 180 seconds 😀!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

Enjoying the changes, shadow maul is certainly usable now. I do think comparing consumption to "Lightning Rod" is a bad example, though.

I had no idea this was live on Beta. I’m currently running a +3x8 solo ITF on a Dark/Radiation/Soul Scrapper. I didn’t take Dark Consumption because it wasn’t needed... will now need to find a way to use it and slot it. Total build revamp. Will be remaking my Dark/Shield on live, too.

From the sounds of it, the only real comparison to Lightning Rod is the variable damage. LR does less damage the farther away the enemy is (If memory serves). New Dark Consumption does less damage the less endurance the caster has. I don't think a direct comparison is fitting.

6 minutes ago, EldritchDrake said:

Is there anything you would compare it to?

Something akin to if Scrappers had double-rage foot stomp.

Comparing it to lightning rod, when the most notable part of lightning rod is the teleport is kinda strange, IMO. 

Edit: And as HelBlaiz pointed out above, the distance calculation.

Edited by ScarySai

2 minutes ago, Tater Todd said:

Foot Stomp's damage isn't boosted by proximity though so I can see why they took the Lightning Rod path.  If you told folks that it's like Foot Stomp but things closer to you were dealt more damage that would be far more confusing to the masses I think. 

Though saying it's like lightning rod without the teleport is also confusing. But overall we've gotten the idea of what's actually happening now so no big deal.

Initial feedback is the improvements are extremely good. Almost too good but then again I do not know how y'all are balancing having a fully IO'd incarnate build vs SO build so ymmv. I'm guessing the animation is a semi-clone of lighting rod? I am seeing the thunder cracks on the ground whenever I activate DC.

Just happens I rolled a dark/shield brute just the other day and he was sitting in Atlas Park at lvl 7.  Took him out for a spin on Brainstorm...  and Shadow Maul's increased recharge time really effs up low level attack chains.  I'll get him up to DO levels later and see how it feels there.

• Like 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)