Today, the editor...

Dacy

• Community Rep

So, as usual, today I got transported across the base (distance covered seems to relate to my orientation at time of teleport: if I am looking nearly straight down, I only go to the base floor just below me, but it I am facing higher up, I am likely to land much farther away. Typically it switches the object I am interacting with to something in my line of sight, instead, as well. 

-Dacy

Something positive, I have not had the base editor crash to desktop since a couple of patches ago.

Normally if I'm in edit mode a couple of hours or so I get suddenly dumped to desktop. Was like that all the way through Live and as far as was determined back then there was an unknown leak in the editor that would build up over time and eventually lock everything up.

Not happening anymore.

Of course now that I've said it, the next time I base edit it'll happen.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later
  • Community Rep

Hmm, today the editor suddenly stopped letting me select items. I'd click and click, and nothing would light up. I switched categories and back, alt/tabbed out and back, and finally rebooted the game. That did fix it, but it was strange, because I'd never had a bug like that before. Anyone else?

-Dacy

29 minutes ago, Dacy said:

Hmm, today the editor suddenly stopped letting me select items. I'd click and click, and nothing would light up. I switched categories and back, alt/tabbed out and back, and finally rebooted the game. That did fix it, but it was strange, because I'd never had a bug like that before. Anyone else?

-Dacy

No but the little window for selecting tintable item colors, would not let me access the bottom half to select the main color ( no matter how big I stretched it or messed with my resolution ) until after a restart happened to me before.

It flung a little lit candle to the far side of the Sanctum lake... 

It ended up inside a rock-pile. <_<

This not being a newly-added candle, but an older one I was moving a few pixels, it took me for-freaking-EVER to find it on the object list and get rid of it. Because that was the only way I could select it short of disassembling that entire corner of the landscaping. >_>

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

4 hours ago, Dacy said:

Oy, yeah, the difficulty of selecting an object tangled up with other objects. Sometimes "tab" works. Mostly it doesn't, tho.

There's an option in the editor (room contents?) which shows you all of the items placed into the room ... in the order that they were added to the room (so last added is all the way on the right).  You can use this to find and select items that are "lost" inside of other items (however being able to "grab" the hitbox of an item inside another item is a different problem).  Usually what I wind up needing to do is move the larger hitbox item aside so as to get at the buried smaller hitbox item in order to move it out where it can be grabbed/manipulated again, and then put the larger hitbox item back where it was supposed to be with the smaller hitbox item now out in the free and clear where I can access it directly without conflicts.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

• Community Rep

Right, should have mentioned that. The reason sometimes I will try tab is if it’s not a new item, and I have a few thousand items in the room...well, let’s just say I REALLY wish “current room” had a search feature.  I mean, have you ever seen it mix up the pictures, which means you can’t even use that to help? Bleah.  

- Dacy 

5 hours ago, Redlynne said:

There's an option in the editor (room contents?) which shows you all of the items placed into the room ... in the order that they were added to the room (so last added is all the way on the right).  You can use this to find and select items that are "lost" inside of other items (however being able to "grab" the hitbox of an item inside another item is a different problem).  Usually what I wind up needing to do is move the larger hitbox item aside so as to get at the buried smaller hitbox item in order to move it out where it can be grabbed/manipulated again, and then put the larger hitbox item back where it was supposed to be with the smaller hitbox item now out in the free and clear where I can access it directly without conflicts.

I did specifically mention that it took forever to find that lost object ON THE ITEM LIST since it wasn't a recently-placed one. Difficulty with something does not, in this case at least, equal ignorance of the interface or its tools.  

Why was FINDING the thing on that "Current Room" item list an issue, you may wonder?

The "main" room of the base is huge and contains several thousand objects. Including, currently, an absolutely ludicrous number of other candles! XD

And I wasn't about to disassemble the entire back corner of the lakeshore just to grab that one stinkin' candle.... Dozens of items, a carefully positioned water layer and some fairly complex landscaping wouldn't have been so simple just to move around.  

So yes. That flung candle issue was a royal pain in the rump.

(For bum-pain illustration purposes… SANCTUM-2764.  Look at that back right corner with the stone head. The candle ended up in the middle of all that. It started out on the main pavilion walkway between the library and the first large room-space. o_0)

Edited by Coyotedancer

I did try a simple undo. The command failed. Nothing changed...

Apparently something hiccuped badly enough to clear the however-many layers of undo in the buffer. XP

That's not exactly a common bug I've run into, but it does happen from time to time, especially if I've been at it for awhile. I suspect it has something to do with whatever causes the "teleporting" of us and/or random flinging of objects in the first place. Micro-mapserver, maybe? Getting the local client out of synch with the servers? It's not something I've been able to reproduce faithfully, just like the teleporting.

Edited by Coyotedancer

• Community Rep

Yeah, sometimes it does the weirder things when  you've been doing it for a while; I think there must still be a memory leak that makes things harder as time passes without a reset. And irregular, unpredictable bugs that can't be reproduced at will are the hardest things to try to correct!!

-Dacy

I remember way back on live if I spent too long editing the base it got me out of sync or had a memory leak or whatever we all decide to call it lol.  I am confident its not a new problem with what HC has done for bases, but I am also confident its a rare occurance.  

We all need egg timers to exit the base editor and walk around the living room every hour or two 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hung the large clockwork king drawing on one wall, and tried to put a red light next to it. The editor lets me think I am placing a light, but it never shows up. I am assuming these colored lights are bugged? 

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

• Community Rep

Bugged? Not that I’m aware. 

Did you get the message in your  chat window that you’d “bought” the light? I’ve noticed lately that there are times, usually if I’ve been in the editor for a while, where I think I placed it, but for some reason it didn’t register. Then there’s always the ol’ “whoops, didn’t select surface “ bit where your piece is now somewhere on a floor.  

Ah, editing! Remind me why I do this again? Oh! Right! ...fun....

🤪

-Dacy

• Haha 3

• Community Rep

And another bug is showing itself. You know that annoying thing where you go to grab one thing ,and instead, it grabs another? I am able to counter that one by slowing down, taking a moment before I try to manipulate whatever it was I grabbed. I have no idea how to counter this one, other than the much cherished ctrl/z. Lately, I'll grab an object and start to turn it. All indications are that I have the object. The object window says I have it. The item box is lit. It's moving the way I want it to move. Then I let it go, and poof! Surprise! I just moved the object next to or under it, and the object everything told me I was moving, is sitting where it was in silent mockery.

At least I know the editor is too dumb and poorly programmed to be an AI bent on driving us crazy. Right? ....Right..?

-Dacy

I have difficulty in sitting down and using the base editor after having played with Rift's and Wildstar partly because of this. Oh you placed a wall down? And you're placing an item on the wall? And you want to click on the item? Be prepared to have the item ignore the fact your cursor is over it to instead grab the wall behind it. Over and over and over.

The thing where we -always- grab an item by the middle of it is also incredibly aggravating when trying to carefully place down large objects. Want to slightly move a thing a centimeter to the side? Well, now you clicked on it the whole shebang moved to africa so that its middle can be over where the cursor it. Now to try to guess where it was and slightly move that centimeter. Good luck!

Built a huge mansion on top of my base over the huge open room (though all closed up to make placing things on top easier). Finally decided to start working on the "sub-basements", opened the huge room up (apply to base from entrance room), then tried to fill in individual sections to create the walls for the rooms I wanted. Took FOREVER to get it to select the room section and not some item on top of it.
The trick I found to get it to work easier (still took a LOT of patience) was to get as close to the floor as possible and move along the "seam", I guess you can call it, clicking right on the edge of the floor tile section. Sometimes this would work for several sections in a row, other times it would take several minutes each of sliding around on the floor clicking.
Still think it came out pretty well, so far, for my first base build since playing live (which was WAY more restrictive).

• 3 weeks later

If you're having trouble selecting segments of the actual base rooms, try pivoting your camera to look up and select the squares there.

Anyway today the base editor decided to mock me by having Med Panel (from dividers) just act insane. I was trying to clad the walls of a regular base room with the med panels to create a look. For one thing the panels have a join seam only on one side so they are right/left specific. Even with room clipping on and the grid disabled a bunch of times they just didn't want to place to a corner or overlap or stack on top of each other.  Compared to Mansion Walls these things are the devil. 

Also the problem with the cursor selecting an item behind or below the item I actually have selected, even with its bounding box lit up, seems to be getting worse. I wonder if it's 1) my perceptions or 2) something changed in the game or 3) something that gets worse the longer you're editing or 4) something that gets worse the more memory (items) your base has in use or 5) some arcane combination of all of the above.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

• Community Rep

My guess is that it something that gets worse as your item count gets higher, because that makes the most sense, but who knows?

Aargh, that sounds frustrating! Same thing I have noticed, it seems like there are a lot more items that are suddenly  picky about placement. I get the “edit failed can’t fit” message when I’m sure that the item should fit; it’s like some items see the room as having different boundaries or something. But, when something doesn’t want to place as close to the wall as I think it should or I want it closer, I have a trick. It only works if the room your working on isn’t right next to the edge. If you can put a room or a door leading from the space you are working on, and then place the items,  they should stay when you delete the doorway or the room that you added.

-Dacy

• 3 weeks later

So....last night when i was working on my base every time I placed something my lowered ceilings and raised floors reset to the original position. It was a nightmare once i was finished and had to keep going back in and fixing it. Best part was when i came out of the editor I could still walk through objects like they werent there. 

Oh base editor you will be the death of me.