The game has come a looooong way since this...

Solarverse

Wow, a ton of change to the UI since then. Even City Hall and entering and exiting buildings and stores was different. Great Find.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

18 hours ago, biostem said:

I kind of like the rounded corner targeting reticles and the rotating DNA effect behind the character.  I don't think those ever made it to live...

What I don't understand, is why get rid of the seamless entrances to the Hospital and Enhacement stores? This game could have been more like Matrix online, without black screens upon opening doors and entering buildings. Not sure why they felt mini loading screens were the better option.

I still play this game because I can fly. Few pickings out there that recreate the experience like CoH does. I remember before zone ceilings where added that you could fly so high the screen would just turn black and the zone was a tiny dot below you.

Edited by Frostbiter
  • Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

5 hours ago, Solarverse said:

What I don't understand, is why get rid of the seamless entrances to the Hospital and Enhacement stores? This game could have been more like Matrix online, without black screens upon opening doors and entering buildings. Not sure why they felt mini loading screens were the better option.

You can’t be attacked by hostile mobs when the interiors are sectioned-off as they are.

9 hours ago, Solarverse said:

I could imagine some a-hole dragging some high level mobs into the hospital respawn area, (though they could just place some police drones as needed to prevent that).

10 hours ago, Fan Mail said:

What kind of game would this be if you could only select 10 powers?!?  Half of you would still pick Flight. 

Well, yeah.  Fly, Fireball, and...no, I guess that's covered everything that really matters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

There's a bunch of stuff that looks like it could have turned into neat ideas. I wonder what happened to them.

The world design stands out for me. Just seeing how the Atlas statue and city hall are situated against each other is so strange. CoH's refined, well considered cityscapes for most zones was one thing I really missed when the game was down.

As for the seamless shops, I imagine part of the challenge was modelling interior spaces within exterior models. By creating a transition, players can be warped underneath the map to make those spaces easier to make - the interior spaces don't always need to conform to the exterior. They could also be more easily loaded and unloaded if nobody was occupying them, though I don't know if that's the case.

Edited by Lines

With enough Range Boost, some people still -can- drag enemies in to Stores and Hospitals with Teleport Foe.

Heck, I remember when the segmented stores were close enough to the surface that Teleport Foe didn't need any Range increase; you could teleport enemies from next block in to the store.

I still occasionally find a Hellion in City Hall even these days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VileTerror said:

I still occasionally find a Hellion in City Hall even these days.

Isn't that a lot like wearing a Ski Mask to pick up a Gallon of Milk at the 7-11?

• Haha 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X