Meta Primary Powerset for Brutes?

Marshal Valor

I took SS because it fit my character concept. I hear Rage has been nerfed so if you double stack you now double crash. That really bothers me... alot. Enough to remake my character. 

What's considered the goto or meta for Brutes? Someone told me Titan Weapons and I was just like noooooooooo. So I am curious what are good offensive abilities.

Edited by Marshal Valor

Marshal Valor

Commander of the 1st Fist of Light

Here’s a list of current meta primaries:

• Battle Axe
  • Broad Sword
  • Claws
  • Dark Melee
  • Electrical Melee
  • Energy Melee
  • Fiery Melee
  • Ice Melee
  • Katana
  • Kinetic Melee
  • Martial Arts
  • Psionic Melee
  • Radiation Melee
  • Savage Melee
  • Spines
  • Staff Fighting
  • Stone Melee
  • Street Justice
  • Super Strength
  • Titan Weapons
  • War Mace
Edited by crkohl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, crkohl said:

• Battle Axe
  • Broad Sword
  • Claws
  • Dark Melee
  • Electrical Melee
  • Energy Melee
  • Fiery Melee
  • Ice Melee
  • Katana
  • Kinetic Melee
  • Psionic Melee
  • Radiation Melee
  • Savage Melee
  • Spines
  • Staff Fighting
  • Stone Melee
  • Street Justice
  • Super Strength
  • Titan Weapons
  • War Mace

Lol you listed every primary powerset for a Brute

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Marshal Valor said:

I took SS because it fit my character concept. I hear Rage has been nerfed so if you double stack you now double crash. That really bothers me... alot. Enough to remake my character. 

What's considered the goto or meta for Brutes? Someone told me Titan Weapons and I was just like noooooooooo. So I am curious what are good offensive abilities.

@Marshal ValorThe best primary is subjective, and relative to your intended goal.

Do you have a character theme, concept, or in-game goal?  Do you prefer single-target damage, AOE damage, survivability, or flashy flash animations?

It might help if you let us know what you don't like Titan Weapons?

Last but most important: are you a power gamer?  Do you crave maximizing character output of damage and/or survivability?

Edited by Obus Form
TW dislike. Powergamer
  • Like 2

It also helps to know what you are pairing it with. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

1 hour ago, Gauntlet_Prime said:

Man, I dunno.  My buddy's SS/Inv brute is a monster and i haven't ever heard him complain about SS.  Double Rage is broken.

Dude double Rage is ridiculous. KO Blow feels like it one shots everything. Foot Stomp destroys. Mine is SS/Fire so Burn with that + Fiery Embrace is even more stupid damage. 

The crash is an inconvenience. 100 percent. But the ten seconds of pathetic damage is worth the following couple minutes of carnage every time. Though I will admit I have faceplanted a couple of times when I was "Scrapperlocked" and the defense crash hit. It'll happen. But debt badges are a thing.

• Like 1

Whirlwind is the meta

Especially if you are regen, and use a staff.

and your name is Princess Spinaroonie.

Have you heard the Gospel of SPIN?

Edited by Nemu
  • Haha 4

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

17 hours ago, Nemu said:

Whirlwind is the meta

Especially if you are regen, and use a staff.

and your name is Princess Spinaroonie.

Have you heard the Gospel of SPIN?

Nimu, we have spoken about this... You need to ask for permission before you bring up our lord and savior; SPIN!  It was part of the accords we had to stop the complaining about diversification.

• Haha 2

There's three which could fit the most easily in terms of weaponless and not exotic. I don't have enough experience with MA to say, but I doubt someone looking for something along the lines of an agent of SMASH to switch to Mr. Boot to the Head. Kin's animations are slow and I couldn't stick with it. I got a StJ stalker to 50 who I love, but the set is better on a stalker. I will say it practically killed scrappers for me for a time. I have a level 22 StJ/invul brute who has been solid and fun so far. My default suggestion for anyone who wants SS but not SS is to go StJ. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I played SS forever on live and have a 50 with it here. The set is extremely powerful. If the crash bothers you .... pick anything else

my go-to set these days is Dark Melee. sime people dont like it because not enough AoE. 

every set has good and bad.  Here is the thing. In the modern PvE i/o incarnate game you have to really try to make a horrid toon. I am currently light Bruting on a Blaster. I know my characters armors and the game well enough to not stand in the patg of the truck and i stay alive long enough to kill everything. The sets are not my first choice on paper. Dark/Dark. They do not have exactly what i want. But they have stuff i like and fit my theme perfect 

find something you like. Run that

1 hour ago, Obus Form said:

Could you kindly explain the reference

It was an epic thread from the old boards.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120906164029/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=124689

This Gem is not to be missed:

screenshot1_01.jpg

I don't remember if the thread spawned the badge, or if the badge informed the thread.  Someone else might know the history more clearly than I.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Strong_%26_Pretty_Badge

Edited by InvaderStych
added important image
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

• 2 weeks later
  • 4 weeks later
On 3/11/2020 at 7:57 PM, crkohl said:

• Battle Axe
  • Broad Sword
  • Claws
  • Dark Melee
  • Electrical Melee
  • Energy Melee
  • Fiery Melee
  • Ice Melee
  • Katana
  • Kinetic Melee
  • Martial Arts
  • Psionic Melee
  • Radiation Melee
  • Savage Melee
  • Spines
  • Staff Fighting
  • Stone Melee
  • Street Justice
  • Super Strength
  • Titan Weapons
  • War Mace

Are these arranged in order of DPS?

On 3/11/2020 at 10:06 PM, Obus Form said:

@Marshal ValorThe best primary is subjective, and relative to your intended goal.

Do you have a character theme, concept, or in-game goal?  Do you prefer single-target damage, AOE damage, survivability, or flashy flash animations?

It might help if you let us know what you don't like Titan Weapons?

Last but most important: are you a power gamer?  Do you crave maximizing character output of damage and/or survivability?

when someone asks about meta, they do not care about theme. they care about power. raw power and raw power only. 

nobody has answered the OP's question properly. I don't play brutes so I can't answer it, but he wants to know the META primary ie. the highest dps primary in any situation that's not SS.

36 minutes ago, Dixa said:

when someone asks about meta, they do not care about theme. they care about power. raw power and raw power only. 

nobody has answered the OP's question properly. I don't play brutes so I can't answer it, but he wants to know the META primary ie. the highest dps primary in any situation that's not SS.

/em enters to pour gasoline on the fire.

1. Titan Weapons (at 50 + IO sets)
  2. War Mace (with the bat model)
  3. The rest of them.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

2 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

/em enters to pour gasoline on the fire.

1. Titan Weapons (at 50 + IO sets)
  2. War Mace (with the bat model)
  3. The rest of them.

Pretty much

For those ok with the rage crashes i'd add healthy 2xrage SS as #2.5

• Like 1