Go. Fold. Kill Coronavirus. Join the Homecoming Folding@home Team Today!

Jimmy

I joined the cool kids and got my PC folding.  The install was easy.

It did take a while for it to find a Work Unit (WU) to download and begin working.  From the log file, I think it tries to find something that matches your PC's abilities. 

And there is a timer loop in there as well, so just because your cpu slot or gpu slot isn't running anything right away, don't get discouraged. Like Nemesis, it will come back in a few minutes and try again.

EDIT - curious how your PC responds to folding?  Here's a free tool which will let you see and graph various PC stats for usage and temperature.
https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Edited by DocDolomite
add link to https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

• Retired Lead Game Master

Hey guys, I still have a few people who haven't contacted me about winning in March, be sure to PM me the costume you would like! 🙂

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

On 4/14/2020 at 12:43 AM, Suicide-Squirrel said:

Well I'm down atm, my open loop pump/reservoir on my main gaming rig had a failure and I had to order a new one. Hopefully it didn't damage my 3950x if it did then I'll be out the $750 for the cpu in addition to the $170 for the new pump :/, still got a third 2060 ko ultra on the way though to add to the arsenal. I'll be up to 3 of them by friday. shiz getting expensive XD. climb while you can I'll be back in full force on friday.

Pretty difficult to destroy a CPU nowadays with heat, they will shut themselves down typically first.  You sure you don't want to try an AIO or one of those Noctua coolers that can beat some water coolers just in case?  Cheaper and under warranty and all that.  That's why I've never entertained the idea of a custom loop - just too much expense and headache for absolutely no gain at all temp-wise or energy-wise.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

48 minutes ago, JayboH said:

Pretty difficult to destroy a CPU nowadays with heat, they will shut themselves down typically first.  You sure you don't want to try an AIO or one of those Noctua coolers that can beat some water coolers just in case?  Cheaper and under warranty and all that.  That's why I've never entertained the idea of a custom loop - just too much expense and headache for absolutely no gain at all temp-wise or energy-wise.

Can't use a aio on my Mobo, it's an ASRock x570 aqua, and trust me the whole custom loop thing has been trying my patience something fierce. This is just the most recent issue.

12 minutes ago, Suicide-Squirrel said:

Can't use a aio on my Mobo, it's an ASRock x570 aqua, and trust me the whole custom loop thing has been trying my patience something fierce. This is just the most recent issue.

Yeah your post just reaffirmed my beliefs - really not worth it at all

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

When I reinstalled Windows I had an issue where my gpu wasn't showing up, only the CPU was. I had to go into the options and manually add it and reboot the client. It had nothing to do with the driver's or the "gpu.txt" file, the latest version will have the most recent version of that file already.

whelp... my folding days may be over for the near future - came in this morning and turned on my monitor to find my GPU generating errors (in the folding software - and hence not getting work units anymore) and my screen with a *decidedly* PURPLE shift... as in 'Prince is looking down admiring' class purple.

I did pretty good (HC_Karmic_Rage - got to #24 in the Homecoming ranking and in the 28k range out of 2.6million total), but looks like I am out unless it somehow magically heals itself.

21 hours ago, Suicide-Squirrel said:

When I reinstalled Windows I had an issue where my gpu wasn't showing up, only the CPU was. I had to go into the options and manually add it and reboot the client. It had nothing to do with the driver's or the "gpu.txt" file, the latest version will have the most recent version of that file already.

Nope.  GPU.txt wasn't anywhere to be found after the install.  I had to manually put it there to get it to see the GPU.  I tried a dozen other methods.  This was the only one that worked.

Thank you for your opinion.  Unfortunately it disagrees with actual real world experience.  I have FaH installed on three other computers (all Windows 10 based) that all work fine and have the GPU.txt file in the folder.  This computer when it installs would not install the GPU.txt and would not recognize the GPU even after manually adding it to the config until I put the GPU.txt file in the folder.

I stand by my solution even if you disagree with it. Disagreement is not going to change how I got it to work however.

1 hour ago, Ura Hero said:

Thank you for your opinion.  Unfortunately it disagrees with actual real world experience.  I have FaH installed on three other computers (all Windows 10 based) that all work fine and have the GPU.txt file in the folder.  This computer when it installs would not install the GPU.txt and would not recognize the GPU even after manually adding it to the config until I put the GPU.txt file in the folder.

I stand by my solution even if you disagree with it. Disagreement is not going to change how I got it to work however.

bro i went into the folder and manually deleted the gpu.txt file just to prove a point, the gpu reset it's progress and it downloaded a new WU and actually started to process it albeit it was gonna take 2 days it says to work it out and the point gain was only going to be about 1508, it still did it. the more interesting thing it did though and i shit you not WAS GRAB THE FILE FROM THE INTERNET automatically and re-add it to the appdata directory and with one swift reboot it re detected my gpu once again as the 2060 with the most utd wrong die info such as the tu106. call your foreman or figure it out. there's something wrong with your set up. -edit that's real world experience 😉

now excuse me, i got my main pc to go get back online another 2060 to install and a list to of people to obliterate on the team. squirrels coming in hot tonight!

Edited by Suicide-Squirrel

Haven't been watching this topic as my main computer has been down for updates.  I welcome the challenge for the top spot.  Once we start getting GPU WU again on a regular basis, you will still have a way to catch up though.  Also, I need to buy a new radiator.  My old one no longer fits with the new motherboard.

On the topic of water cooling, for CPU's I agree that water cooling isn't all that attractive.  For GPUs though it is a different story.  Especially given how NVIDIA locks their cards to such a low power increase.  

Also, the point difference CPU vs GPU is also partly due to the bonus that Stanford provides given how far ahead of the deadline.  It's easy to beat those deadlines with some good hardware.