Go. Fold. Kill Coronavirus. Join the Homecoming Folding@home Team Today!

Jimmy

On 5/7/2020 at 11:50 AM, GM Miss said:

Hi everyone! Here are the April winners, sorry for the delay - an extra winner from 5 and 1 units were chosen! 

2.  HC_Yukkuri

Oh nice I made it in! 😄

Question about the folding client. It took several days for it to start working for me, needed to edit the GPUs text file. Running it at full power I see in the task manager my CPU is at 100%, which I expected. However my GPU is never used. Is that normal or do I still have a setting wrong somewhere?

1 hour ago, Aaronar said:

Question about the folding client. It took several days for it to start working for me, needed to edit the GPUs text file. Running it at full power I see in the task manager my CPU is at 100%, which I expected. However my GPU is never used. Is that normal or do I still have a setting wrong somewhere?

On install it should detect your CPU and GPU and set up slots for them both.  It sounds like this didn't happen at all, so if you made the CPU slot you'll have to make the GPU slot too.  You can do this in the Advanced client (the web is pretty useless I find, no options and it glitches out) under the Config -> Slots.

Note GPU is only used on Win not Mac.

Note not all GPU are made equal, nVidia will get more jobs than ATI, new will get more than old, etc.

Knowing your hardware specs would help advise.

Make sure you use a passkey!  (Identity settings)  Everything says this is optional, but you only get a tiny fraction of the points without one, so really it's required if you want credit.

2 hours ago, Kililea said:

On install it should detect your CPU and GPU and set up slots for them both.  It sounds like this didn't happen at all, so if you made the CPU slot you'll have to make the GPU slot too.  You can do this in the Advanced client (the web is pretty useless I find, no options and it glitches out) under the Config -> Slots.

Note GPU is only used on Win not Mac.

Note not all GPU are made equal, nVidia will get more jobs than ATI, new will get more than old, etc.

Knowing your hardware specs would help advise.

Make sure you use a passkey!  (Identity settings)  Everything says this is optional, but you only get a tiny fraction of the points without one, so really it's required if you want credit.

Ah ha! Got it to open a GPU slot and it downloaded a separate WU for it. Though opening the Task Manager I see that the GPU is only at 1% usage while client says three and a half hours to finish it's WU. Have a Radeon RX 480, not the best out there but still pretty decent. This seem accurate or do I still have some tweaking to do?

55 minutes ago, Aaronar said:

Ah ha! Got it to open a GPU slot and it downloaded a separate WU for it. Though opening the Task Manager I see that the GPU is only at 1% usage while client says three and a half hours to finish it's WU. Have a Radeon RX 480, not the best out there but still pretty decent. This seem accurate or do I still have some tweaking to do?

That seems like a reasonable time. It will take a little bit after you get a new work unit for your gpu to go to 100%. Even than, it may not sit at 100% power usage and might down clock itself a bit. This is normal. 

Well, my CPU average daily points is around 30k. Even though it hasn't even been half a day my GPU daily points says over 400k. Quite a difference. Not that I'm doing this for the points, the cause is what's important. I'm just assuming that the awarded points is based on the how important that particular WU is for research purposes. And that GPU processed information is more helpful that CPU processed information.

Edited by Aaronar
Typo correction

2 hours ago, Aaronar said:

Well, my CPU average daily points is around 30k. Even though it hasn't even been half a day my GPU daily points says over 400k. Quite a difference. Not that I'm doing this for the points, the cause is what's important. I'm just assuming that the awarded points is based on the how important that particular WU is for research purposes. And that GPU processed information is more helpful that CPU processed information.

That’s normal. Your cpu I’m guessing is a quad core. Your rx480 has 2304 processors/cores. The WU’s your gpu gets are more complex and because of this, they have higher base point values. They also have better bonuses based on how quickly you can turn in the WU. From a PPD standpoint, the majority of CPU’s are not worth folding on. 

Yes, 2.8 GHz quad core intel 6402P cpu. But if I'm reading the client information correctly it's only utilizing one core to do a CPU WU. Even with it set to full power I haven't experienced any performance issues with my pc.

you ever notice how, when you're tired... and especially if you just glance at something - you will read it COMPLETELY different?

I glanced at the web control earlier and wondered, "Why would I set it to fold 'only when I die'??"

... guess I should go get some sleep! 😃

onlywhenidle.jpg

• Haha 3

Glad to be beavering away on this, haven't read the thread till now and must say it is depressing. I was happy with my progress from the bottom to clawing my way to above half the table and breaking 1,000,000 pts. Yay Me. One old six core and a 460 running max, occasionally set to light if CoH is bogging down. A pittance compared to the power users. I'll just keep at it, it needs to be done. On the odd time my machine shares resources SETI and couple other Boing projects run that I have been doing cycles for forever it seems get some love, screensaver mode.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mercy Mauser said:

Glad to be beavering away on this, haven't read the thread till now and must say it is depressing. I was happy with my progress from the bottom to clawing my way to above half the table and breaking 1,000,000 pts. Yay Me. One old six core and a 460 running max, occasionally set to light if CoH is bogging down. A pittance compared to the power users. I'll just keep at it, it needs to be done. On the odd time my machine shares resources SETI and couple other Boing projects run that I have been doing cycles for forever it seems get some love, screensaver mode.

Instead of being sad with your team position, remember that each completed WU helps out humanity as a whole. Besides, I’m sure you don’t want my electric bill, lol. It’s not cheap. 

One approach that might make those who are incapable of breaching the top 10 happier with the system would be to perform a point-based lottery, at least for selecting some of the random winners.  This might sound difficult, but if you can dump the per-person point values to a file (or a stream) it would be a cakewalk to create a program or script to generate a random number in the range 1-<team total minus top ten> and walk down the points list to determine who was picked.

My major point with this suggestion is that you tend to get the behavior you incentivize.  If people are only rewarded for either being in the top 10, or for performing 5 WOs, then anyone who cannot make the top 10 isn't really incentivized to do more.  Yes, I know we're all perfectly altruistic people who are doing this for the good of humanity -- but everyone also wants to feel that their work is valued and appropriately rewarded by the system.  This way, the hard-working people in 11th place and below will also be incentivized to continue to put forth their best effort.

Obviously this approach could be combined with others:  I would suggest retaining the automatic rewards for the top ten (or a top percentage?), plus one set of lottery picks weighted by points, plus one set of lottery picks not weighted by points (with the obvious caveat that one person should only win one reward each month).  That way 2 of the 3 categories directly reward effort, while the 3rd remains an enticement for those who cannot contribute as much.

I think that this approach would go a long way towards making those individuals who cannot breach the top 10 feel that their continued efforts are being appropriately rewarded.  It's still a lottery, but each month's extra effort is rewarded by a higher chance of winning.

4 hours ago, Snowdaze said:

Seems to me there is going to be a lot of fresh blood working their way into the top 10 pretty soon:

image.png.4d6c9089dd844243b0cad93c1af9fc19.png

Some of those in the 2m ppd are actually quite a bit higher if you look at their page and look at what they got a few days. Could be closer to 3m ppd. Good thing I should see a big boost to my ppd here in just a few days. 

Minor edit for clarity. 

Edited by Psyblade

22 hours ago, Snowdaze said:

Seems to me there is going to be a lot of fresh blood working their way into the top 10 pretty soon:

Now that I have everything working, I am getting some decent point gains.  Should overtake the #10 spot tomorrow I think.  Not sure how far up I can get past that though without upgrading some hardware.

4 hours ago, Ura Hero said:

Now that I have everything working, I am getting some decent point gains.  Should overtake the #10 spot tomorrow I think.  Not sure how far up I can get past that though without upgrading some hardware.

I like your avatar. I haven’t thought of that rabbit in like 15 years or so. 

Breaking the top 100 on the overall would be *amazing* - and we *might* break top 50 for the month unless our rate of gain slows!

heh - *we* put the 'Super' in City of Heroes!   or something like that (not sure how to phrase it; being 'positive' is not part of my normal skillset!)

2 hours ago, 1gecko said:

Breaking the top 100 on the overall would be *amazing* - and we *might* break top 50 for the month unless our rate of gain slows!

heh - *we* put the 'Super' in City of Heroes!   or something like that (not sure how to phrase it; being 'positive' is not part of my normal skillset!)

Doesn’t look like we will make the top 50 contributors this month. I should be adding about 2.5 m ppd here in a couple of days which will help.