Get rid of the base TP crap

kelika2

2 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

I don’t have a problem with the base teleporting command, it’s just it feels a bit like a ‘cheat code’, and I’m always aware commands like this are used extensively by ‘people in the know’ (like myself) and average joe is sort of left behind, wondering why and how everyone is bunny hopping through zones while they travel slowly to the station...

Not everyone will care, but I feel compassionate that I do. I’d rather it was just a level 1 power we all had access to than some / command that feels like something that only GMs should have. 
I’m less bothered about /AH, although it makes all the WW buildings pointless and empty. It sort of hollows out the game.

AE did the same thing. Whole areas of the game are now completely ignored. And I say this as a guy that took up farming AE with Homecoming and use the basepasscode macro on every alt with every port from the P2W vendor as well. But I've seen the emptiness. Been to the Hollows lately? It's eerie in a way.

I don't know that any of it should be fixed. I don't know if it's broken or just different. I'm still just glad it's here again. I try to do my part by talking about the basepasscode or the LFG tab trick to bounce into zones but I don't really PUG much and those that I run with are all using the same tricks.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

AE did the same thing. Whole areas of the game are now completely ignored. And I say this as a guy that took up farming AE with Homecoming and use the basepasscode macro on every alt with every port from the P2W vendor as well. But I've seen the emptiness. Been to the Hollows lately? It's eerie in a way.

I don't know that any of it should be fixed. I don't know if it's broken or just different. I'm still just glad it's here again. I try to do my part by talking about the basepasscode or the LFG tab trick to bounce into zones but I don't really PUG much and those that I run with are all using the same tricks.

The Hollows is always a bit empty, but that’s mainly because of double xp and DFB. It’s disadvantageous to play the game the old style way. Still I always do! Because it’s a game.. and it’s more fun that way!

There isn’t a lot you can do and this problem occurs in lots of MMOs. Arguably it’s better in CoH as high levels are rewarded for doing content of any level. People still run every TF in the game for badges and merits.

The base portal command is where in my head things go a little too far. The way your character disappears in an instant with no animation. It doesn’t feel like a ‘proper skill’. Well we all know it’s not, it’s basically an admin command. Of course as individuals we can refrain from using it but it’s the environment it creates, and hell I use whatever is most convenient, it’s up to the devs to set the playground rules!

The best way of combating what you said about empty zones would be to make content like the Hollows more rewarding. More merits, and extra xp on storyarc completion. Or more special IO rewards that will carry you through to higher levels with special advantages pre 30 or 40. Or replicate some of the hydra passive rewards for when you complete a zone. I.e if you do the whole of the hollows you get a passive temporary power up till level 30 (Like +end rec). That would make me think “yes, I’ll do the Hollows this time round as, it might not be as fast, but it’s fun and there are some interesting perks I wouldn’t mind”.

Basically if you imagine it as a set of some scales, you’re trying to put a bit of extra weight behind different routes to leveling, which in turn gives more viable options and in turn more variety which in turn makes the game more enjoyable! The only negative part of this, is if you keep adding stuff to the scales and never take anything off, you just end up with power creep. But I don’t think my suggestion above would hurt too much in that regard.

• Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Honestly, I can not wait until access to the /enterbasefrompasscode command is removed from general access.  It's a huge game-breaking exploit.  I knew about the command before most people, but I've never used it because it smelled like an exploit, and then was later confirmed to be an exploit.  It's my choice to not use the exploit, but other people doing so negatively impacts my gaming.  How?

Most of my friends and I are speed runners.  We speed run everything.  However, because most of my friends use the base teleport command exploit and I do not, I've been effectively locked out of some task/strike force missions.  On a Dr. Kahn Task Force for instance, I used my Ouroboros portal to get to a mission in PI.  Before I could even load into the mission, it was complete because everyone else used the base teleport command exploit.  I missed out on the temp power.  Then everyone else used the base teleport command exploit to get to the next mission.  Meanwhile, I was stuck with no Ouro portal, and I had already used the mission teleport a couple of missions ago.  So, I had to "hoof" it from one end of PI to the other and then to Talos to the tram.  By the time I arrived in the mission, people were already at Reichsmann, waiting for me and wondering what was taking me so long.

So, yes, the base teleport command exploit does negatively impact those that do not use it, and should be removed posthaste, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Most of my friends and I are speed runners.  We speed run everything.  However, because most of my friends use the base teleport command exploit and I do not, I've been effectively locked out of some task/strike force missions.  On a Dr. Kahn Task Force for instance, I used my Ouroboros portal to get to a mission in PI.  Before I could even load into the mission, it was complete because everyone else used the base teleport command exploit.  I missed out on the temp power.  Then everyone else used the base teleport command exploit to get to the next mission.  Meanwhile, I was stuck with no Ouro portal, and I had already used the mission teleport a couple of missions ago.  So, I had to "hoof" it from one end of PI to the other and then to Talos to the tram.  By the time I arrived in the mission, people were already at Reichsmann, waiting for me and wondering what was taking me so long.

Could just be me but this sounds like it's your problem for making the choice not to use it, not everyone else.  You're not some holier-than-thou purist for not using it.  Using it to speed missions isn't an exploit anymore than using TT or ATT.  It's an exploit for escaping death in PvP and Mo TFs.  it's not for normal gameplay.  and if your friends aren't waiting for you before finishing missions, are they really friends? 

13 minutes ago, Apparition said:

It's my choice to not use the exploit, but other people doing so negatively impacts my gaming. 

This says it all.  It's your problem, not everyone else.  HC people have already said it's going to get changed but it's still going to allow people to transport to their base, so if you're still not going to use it, it's your problem.

1 minute ago, ZacKing said:

Could just be me but this sounds like it's your problem for making the choice not to use it, not everyone else.  You're not some holier-than-thou purist for not using it.  Using it to speed missions isn't an exploit anymore than using TT or ATT.  It's an exploit for escaping death in PvP and Mo TFs.  it's not for normal gameplay.  and if your friends aren't waiting for you before finishing missions, are they really friends? 

This says it all.  It's your problem, not everyone else.  HC people have already said it's going to get changed but it's still going to allow people to transport to their base, so if you're still not going to use it, it's your problem.

It's my problem for not using a confirmed exploit, a command players should have never had access to in the first place?

Edited by Apparition

15 minutes ago, Apparition said:

However, because most of my friends use the base teleport command exploit and I do not, I've been effectively locked out of some task/strike force missions.  On a Dr. Kahn Task Force for instance, I used my Ouroboros portal to get to a mission in PI.  Before I could even load into the mission, it was complete because everyone else used the base teleport command exploit.  I missed out on the temp power.  Then everyone else used the base teleport command exploit to get to the next mission.  Meanwhile, I was stuck with no Ouro portal, and I had already used the mission teleport a couple of missions ago.  So, I had to "hoof" it from one end of PI to the other and then to Talos to the tram.  By the time I arrived in the mission, people were already at Reichsmann, waiting for me and wondering what was taking me so long.

No offense meant whatsoever, however this sounds to me like you need to find some friends who might wait for you?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Apparition said:

It's my problem for not using a confirmed exploit, a command players should have never had access to in the first place?

yeah it is man.  they've already acknowledged it's going to get removed at some point and whatever replaces it will still allow people to port to their bases.  You're not getting any special points for not using it while it's available. 

1 minute ago, ZacKing said:

yeah it is man.  they've already acknowledged it's going to get removed at some point and whatever replaces it will still allow people to port to their bases.  You're not getting any special points for not using it while it's available. 

I am sorry, but do you realize how silly that sounds? 

"You should use a confirmed game exploit because everyone else does."

My only complaint with the base-jumping is that I haven't figured out a way to have a combined macro that lets me...

• emote
  • local tell
  • base jump

...so that I don't break the immersion of other players. Right now: I do the first two as one macro and then base-jump with a second.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Apparition said:

I am sorry, but do you realize how silly that sounds? 

"You should use a confirmed game exploit because everyone else does."

"Everyone else shouldn't use it because I don't want to" is any less silly? 

If this were so gamebreaking, it would've been removed a long time ago.  What more do you want the HC people to do?  They've already said it's getting removed, they just didn't want to screw over all the people using it with macros for friendly bases. 

2 minutes ago, tidge said:

My only complaint with the base-jumping is that I haven't figured out a way to have a combined macro that lets me...

• emote
  • local tell
  • base jump

...so that I don't break the immersion of other players. Right now: I do the first two as one macro and then base-jump with a second.

From what I have read from the various Homecoming staff posts, what they are hoping to do is replace this with something similar to the Oro portal power.

@VileTerror Bummer the post is hidden, but if it helps I'm pretty sure I remember the details of what they would like to do (no guarantees this will be the direction it actually ends up going).

• Keep enterbasefrompasscode but require user to be standing next to a base portal (similar to the Day Job requirement to just be nearby).
  • Change the base teleports to instead summon a base portal at location, Ouro portal style.
  • General QoL pass on all teleporters such as Pocket D VIP Pass to make them less of a pain to use and lower cooldowns.

Edited by Replacement
"base code teleports" -> "base teleports"
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Replacement said:

@VileTerror Bummer the post is hidden, but if it helps I'm pretty sure I remember the details of what they would like to do (no guarantees this will be the direction it actually ends up going).

• Keep enterbasefrompasscode but require user to be standing next to a base portal (similar to the Day Job requirement to just be nearby).
  • Change the base code teleports to instead summon a base portal at location, Ouro portal style.
  • General QoL pass on all teleporters such as Pocket D VIP Pass to make them less of a pain to use and lower cooldowns.

Yep, that's the way I remember it.  The idea to summon a base portal in the same way as an Ouro portal would be really cool. It's a great way to invite friends/teammates to "check out my base!"

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

• 1 month later
On 4/29/2020 at 9:16 AM, tidge said:

• emote
  • local tell
  • base jump

Does this:

/macro "enterbasefrompasscode XXXXX$$em AlakazamReact$$l and now watch me.....disappear"

Not work? Collapse would be another good emote (teleport via death...which is what I did on live when the teleport mechanism _wasn't_ available.) or any of the "throw X" emotes maybe.

that said I wouldn't be surprised if the enterbase from passcode still executes too quick to allow the emote to go off.

Edited by Eclipse.

Did the devs maybe delete that other thread because they changed their mind on how to give us portaling powers?   I really like the idea of them all being ourodrops.  Summon a phone booth!  Bill and Ted and doctor who all wrapped up in on!  Or a satellite homing beacon.  Or a magic swirly portal.  Or a mot pacman nom nom nommer!

• Confused 1

On 4/30/2020 at 1:49 AM, Apparition said:

Most of my friends and I are speed runners.

Speed runners..and you refuse to use something that makes stuff so much faster? Hmmm. So you are friends with a bunch of cheating, exploiting, game breaking cads?

I mean, I see your point but..

On 4/30/2020 at 1:49 AM, Apparition said:

It's a huge game-breaking exploit.

AE and Fire farms say Hi. Sure, it is a dead horse, but getting to level 50 in an hour (or however long it takes) is a pretty big exploit to my mind too. Not that I am saying you use AE, or I care if you did...but I regard the state of AE as more unhealthy for the game than people spending LESS time traveling, and more time actually playing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

LESS time traveling, and more time actually playing.

I think for many of these people they feel the over-world maps are a much bigger part of the game than some of the rest of us recall.

I do wonder if that isn't a side effect of which side you primarily played on, __or what your particular server was about__. I recall farming in Sewers, Hollows, then Perez Park super early in heroes side*. In villains though, I don't recall ever farming in the overworld. With the introduction of paper missions the whole game became much more instance based for me, and most people I played with. Despite having less task forces. This also afforded Villains to be the more "solo-friendly" side (along with the more solo-friendly ATs).

I don't really remember farming, or even really spending much time except for traveling, in any zones other than the Hollows and Perez park though. And those 3 zones were largely made moot by DFB/DiB even without having double XP. 
*and that was mainly because Posi/Synapse TFs were so damn long that they might not fit in 1 play session.

Edited by Eclipse.
added text between __ __