How do I look at slotting Regen?

Between back in the day and now, I've slotted of resistance based characters, I've slotted defense based characters.  I never had a Regen character though.  So I'm kind of at a loss in terms of what types of IO set bonuses, procs, what have you to go for.  Do you go for some resistance and defense to soften things overall?   Do you just go for every +regen set bonus, or proc you can think, of etc?  And I'm looking for a across the board view, assume whatever character I play doesn't have defenses in their primary ala Katana/Broadsword/Staff.

I think there are some good threads on the melee forums about what to do with regards to regen. If not there will be a lot of helpful people there who could give you some pointers.

I don’t play regen, but my instinct would be to compliment the self healing with defence. Every attack you avoid means less pressure on your self regen/healing. Regen gets a recovery buff early on, so you’ve got more scope for running more toggles early on. 

Sorry I can’t be of anymore specific help.

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Not getting hit takes pressure off Regenerations Heals.  Not getting hit as hard takes pressure off Regenerations Heals.  Healing More Often & Healing for More are your priorities.  All dependent on how much mitigation you have in your other power set.

Defence / Resistance / Recharge / Heal are all valid.  Probably in that order.

8 hours ago, JnEricsonx said:

Between back in the day and now, I've slotted of resistance based characters, I've slotted defense based characters.  I never had a Regen character though.  So I'm kind of at a loss in terms of what types of IO set bonuses, procs, what have you to go for.  Do you go for some resistance and defense to soften things overall?   Do you just go for every +regen set bonus, or proc you can think, of etc?  And I'm looking for a across the board view, assume whatever character I play doesn't have defenses in their primary ala Katana/Broadsword/Staff.

Avoid slotting for Regen... the % increase in your Regeneration will be low since you already will have high Regeneration.

DO slot for Defense primarily and Resist secondarily, because less damage coming in per second will do more to keep the damage below your Regeneration rate than a slight increase in Regen.

Getting Recharge also helps to get Dull Pain and Instant Healing up more often.

• Like 2

I prefer to slot for Resistance on /Regen.  I won't AVOID +Defense bonuses, and if I can get them by allocating 1-2 more slots, I will. 

But I primarily slot resistance.  Reason:  /Regen will have zero DDR.  I don't like putting all my eggs into one basket on defense only to experience Cascade Defense Failure when a couple gunners start pinging me down.  Resistance feels like a more reliable wall that I can trust even when I take a few hits.  

I don't use Mids.  I know I know, all the cool kids do, I should get it, but I haven't.  I prefer to just wing my builds. 

My /Regen is a lvl 38 stalker.  He's not a brute.  But he's quite capable of leaping ahead and soaking the alphas for teams when he's needed to.

Because he's only lvl 38, not 50, his slotting is not yet done.  He'll be getting more bonuses as he goes.

My slotting: 

image.thumb.png.0327b78a6a92a6971ef60fa5a036dc21.png

Currently he's at 

• 53% smashing / lethal resist
  • 32% fire/cold resist
  • 24% energy/negative resist
  • 20% toxic/psi resist
  • 17% ranged defense
  • 22% melee defense

Your milage may vary, but I'm pretty happy with the result.  And the numbers should go up as he gets the rest of his slots.

• Like 1

I ran a /regen scrapper to 50 on live and am almost done filling out my incarnates on a /regen brute on Homecoming. Not a min-maxer but do have some experience. 

As @Coyote said mitigation is important, and slotting for regen isn't a good idea. I slotted my stone/regen brute for recharge and health, then defense (taking whatever resistance I fell into), and it's working. Now we are talking endgame where I can juggle between MoG and whatever the incarnate power I have that makes me bubble boy, but this is working for me.

I think you can chase defense down a rabbit hole and gimp your character.  Having MoG and/or Dull Pain up regularly to take care of the alpha makes you much more survivable. Instant Healing helps with big mobs. 

Stone melee hits hard and has a great mitigation tool in Fault, which keeps enemies on their butt. If I was playing ss/regen I'd consider taking Handclap, which most people ignore. My point is, your primary can help with mitigation and should be considered when you are fleshing out your character. If I had a primary that had defense like you mentioned, I may be more likely to try to chase defense. For me, recharge was the better choice. 

You have to play differently with regen. The nice thing is endurance really shouldn't be an issue - especially with so many health sets that give bonuses there - so you can take hard hitting primaries and not worry about running out of steam. 

• Like 1

Here is the build I made in an attempt to create a Regen brute that could tank.  I did try enhancing regen as well as resist/defense and recharge speed, which are the things you will want to concentrate on.  This build is somewhat inaccurate in that it doesn't have some of the newer enhancements.

Spoiler

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Omphale (HC): Level 50 Technology Brute
Primary Power Set: Staff Fighting
Secondary Power Set: Regeneration
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Precise Strike -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg:35(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx:35(5), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(11), KntCmb-Knock%:35(15), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg:50(37), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(37)
Level 1: Fast Healing -- RgnTss-Regen+:30(A), DctWnd-Heal:30(45), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx:50(46)
Level 2: Guarded Spin -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg:50(5), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(15), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(17), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(36), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury:50(48)
Level 4: Quick Recovery -- PrfShf-EndMod:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc:50(7), PrfShf-End%:50(9)
Level 6: Eye of the Storm -- Mlt-Acc/Dmg:50(A), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx:50(7), Mlt-Dmg/Rchg:50(27), Mlt-Acc/EndRdx:50(27), Mlt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(36), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(42)
Level 8: Staff Mastery
Level 10: Dull Pain -- Mrc-Heal/EndRdx:40(A), Mrc-EndRdx/Rchg:40(21), Mrc-Heal/Rchg:40(21), Mrc-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:40(42), Mrc-Heal:40(45), RechRdx-I:50(45)
Level 12: Reconstruction -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx:50(A), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg:50(13), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg:50(13), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:50(42), DctWnd-Heal:50(43), DctWnd-Rchg:50(46)
Level 14: Kick -- Acc-I:50(A)
Level 16: Integration -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx:50(A), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:50(17)
Level 18: Serpent's Reach -- Apc-Dmg:50(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg:50(19), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(19), Apc-Acc/Rchg:50(37), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx:50(39), Apc-Dam%:50(39)
Level 20: Resilience -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(A), GldArm-3defTpProc:50(48), Ags-Psi/Status:50(48)
Level 22: Tough -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx:50(A), Ags-ResDam:50(23), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(23), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg:50(40)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(25), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg:50(25), LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(40)
Level 26: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow:50(A)
Level 28: Instant Healing -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx:50(A), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg:50(29), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg:50(29), DctWnd-Heal:50(40), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:50(43), DctWnd-Rchg:50(46)
Level 30: Innocuous Strikes -- Arm-Dmg:50(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg:50(31), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(31), Arm-Acc/Rchg:50(31), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx:50(34), Arm-Dam%:50(36)
Level 32: Sky Splitter -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg:50(33), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(33), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(33), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(34), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End:50(34)
Level 35: Combat Jumping -- ShlWal-Def:50(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:50(50)
Level 38: Moment of Glory -- TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg:50(A), TtnCtn-EndRdx/Rchg:50(39), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(43)
Level 41: Superior Conditioning -- PrfShf-End%:50(A)
Level 44: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%:50(A)
Level 47: Taunt -- MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg/Rng:50(A)
Level 49: Hasten -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(50), RechRdx-I:50(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Fury
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End:50(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(3), Mrc-Rcvry+:40(9)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod:50(3), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg:50(11)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
Level 8: Form of the Body
Level 8: Form of the Mind
Level 8: Form of the Soul
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: Void Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Carnival Core Superior Ally
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment
------------

Edited by Heraclea
keep loading the wrong MIDS
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

14 hours ago, JnEricsonx said:

Sorry, I started the game AFTER regen got it's legendary nerfing, so?

Sorry its a long going Forum Meme.

All Regen Threads must contain a Nerf Regen post. 

No one actually wants it nerfed.  Most of us want it to be buffed a bit.  

---

With Regen you need lots of Recharge for your clickies.  You need good Regen of course.  Decent S/L Resistance and Defense pays off very well on Regen.  So I suggest Tough and Weave.  

• Like 1

Panacea can be worth it on a Stalker just for the +END alone, since we *grumble grumble* don't get Quick Recovery, same for Numina's.  

But yea, I'm looking at my own screenshot above, and looking at the Regenerative Tissue unique I have in Health and saying.... "you know, I should probably take out that IO, and move that slot somewhere else...."

3 hours ago, JnEricsonx said:

So is there a point in slotting any of the regen+ procs in health, stamina, etc?  Numina, Panacea, Regenerative, etc, etc?

In my opinion, no.  The only uniques in my build (not counting purples, which are all uniques) are the Kismet +acc and the +def uniques.

Since my primary is broadsword (the slowest scrapper primary), I don't like missing or waiting.  My build has +57% global accuracy and +60% global recharge.  This is not counting the incarnate Alpha slot, where I took Spiritual, putting my click self-heals at over 125% heal and recharge.  I also have Tactics (I said I don't like to miss) and Focused Accuracy (which I only turn on when I really need it, like in PvP zones).

To handle the recharge, I also have some +recovery (just 34%).  To be fair, though, I didn't really build for that.  A lot of sets have it as the first bonus.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

13 hours ago, JnEricsonx said:

So is there a point in slotting any of the regen+ procs in health, stamina, etc?  Numina, Panacea, Regenerative, etc, etc?

I 6-slotted Preventative Medicine in one of the heals as it's proc is an absorb, not a heal. Useful. Also 6-slotting gives you an 8.75 recharge, which is the biggest you can get w/out using a purple set I believe. I think any of the other procs are a waste. 

FYI 5-slotting Doctored Wounds, which is a cheap set, gives you a 5% recharge bonus and a 4% buff to heals. It's gold! 

Edited by loyalreader
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JnEricsonx said:

Numina and Panacea yes, because they give Endurance which is always useful. I wouldn't put in Regenerative Tissue if you can get a decent set bonus elsewhere.

I'd maybe look at slotting the power transfer chance to self heal in stamina, as well as the panacea in health. It's not a huge amount of healing but it should still tick along even if you get hit with a lot of -regen.

Admittedly I've not tested that as I've not really IOd out any regens since coming back, I did have a fair few of them on live though. The highest I have got one here is 41, a rad/regen brute, but I am not liking the pairing as the rad animations seem to take forever (they probably aren't that bad, but it certainly feels like it), and that's not good when you have click heals.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

14 hours ago, JnEricsonx said:

IIRC:

12 seconds / Regen Rate = time between 'healing tics'

(HP Total) / 20 = HP regained per 'healing tic'

Once you have a significantly large Regeneration rate, IO Global bonuses for Regeneration can quickly run into a case of diminishing returns (once a build starts getting significant slots). The Panacea proc delivers actual Health and Endurance, which is different than Regeneration (for Health) or Recovery (for Endurance).

Panacea is always first for me. As I am leveling, I may invest a second slot in Health, but if so it will usually be for the Miracle +Recovery, no matter the AT.

The best advice IMO so far is:

22 hours ago, Coyote said:

DO slot for Defense primarily and Resist secondarily, because less damage coming in per second will do more to keep the damage below your Regeneration rate than a slight increase in Regen.

Getting Recharge also helps to get Dull Pain and Instant Healing up more often.

Being able to self-heal is quite important!

• 1 month later

As a regen fan here is my advice. if poor manning the build focus on a simple end game slotting of 2 lvl 50 recharge Ios and the same for heal IOs in all the click regen powers which is basically everything but their mes pro toggle.

Id suggest pairing it with something like Dark melee for the natural synergy of to hit debuffing giving regen abit of breathing room to do its thing, and both benefit heavily from a global recharge set theme should you enjoy it enough to want to fine tune and invest heavily in it. Other good options imo are Kat/BS for the parry attack which can be stacked for substantial def to melee/smashing/lethal. the lethal and smashing are actually a big deal in that, as that basically means you can parry any ranged attack that uses either of those types as part of its dmg such as bullets and energy blasts, along with aoe effects of those 2 dmg types.

Or good old Claws/Regen. claws unique variation away from build up of an attack that grants a dmg buff, can like parry above be stacked and in the case of a heavy global recharge build stacked a fair bit. A claw regen really will feel like wolverine in full on rage mode with such an attack being able to be use every other attack It also has a nice mix of aoe and attacks that knock foes around which again helps give regen abit of buffer space to do its job.

When you're dealing with Regen, you have to recognize that your regeneration rate relies on your HP to determine how much you'll regen. There's no point to having some great regen if your hp is low. The higher you can make your hitpoints, the more your regen will be. 

This is why Dull Pain is your friend, because it raises your hit points quite a bit. On my scrapper, it's by about a 1/3. So, for my armors, I use glad armor, 5 slotting it for the 2.25% hp bonus. I even split up the scrapper ATO set in half to get 3% twice. If you can afford to get perma-dull pain or close to it, that's the path I take. 

I have Tiger-Man, a claws/regen brute upon which I have had numerous compliments for his tanking ability. I slotted for +hit points as much as possible since I figured that the higher my hit points were, the larger my regen ticks would be. I wish I could pull him up right now, but I know with Dull Pain I am just a smidge under 3k hit points and I am absolutely sure there is room for improvement. My defenses are in the 30s (melee is 39%) and my S/L resistances are at 80%, so nothing is capped. It is very difficult to cap either of those with regen. But, I very rarely need to hit my "oh crap" buttons: Instant Healing and Reconstruction. To be honest, I do not think my build is all that great. I have 5 brutes and he is the weakest statistically, but also the most fun (that is probably more because of Claws than Regeneration).