Dragon and Falcon about to Launch!

I'm under no illusion that another tragedy will never happen, but may it never happen because of haste and incompetence, and may it be a long, long time off.

On a more positive note, we've been discussing this event on my work team.  Most were not alive in '81 when Columbia, the first fully functional shuttle took flight.  It was magical.  It'd been a few years for us without space traffic then: the Apollo-Soyuz mission was in '75, the last Skylab mission was '74, so the kids of my generation were stoked to see a flying space ship that looked like a plane and not a cone.  It didn't hurt that we were getting a steady diet of space sci-fi at the time, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, the Black Hole...the Buck Rogers series had just concluded, Buck having started his journey in a fictional version of the shuttles.  It also didn't hurt that we'd been thrilled when the test shuttle was named "Enterprise" for obvious reasons, and Trek was in full swing with one movie out for just over a year (with hot sales of laserdisks, betas, and early VHS) and one movie on the way. 

(I'm not even going to detail being a toddler seeing Neil Armstrong take that first step and watching a room full of young adults in an excited frenzy: one of my earliest memories.)

So I'm excited to see my nieces and nephew's generation rediscover the wonder of a new chapter in manned space missions.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Techwright said:

On a more positive note, we've been discussing this event on my work team.  Most were not alive in '81 when Columbia, the first fully functional shuttle took flight.  It was magical. 

Ha.  I think we are older on this forum than people suspect in general.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Techwright said:

(I'm not even going to detail being a toddler seeing Neil Armstrong take that first step and watching a room full of young adults in an excited frenzy: one of my earliest memories.)

I was a wee lad then, too.  My younger brother and I had to sneak out of bed and down the hall to just behind my dad's recliner to surreptitiously watch the Apollo coverage on the black and white television without alerting dad to our presence.

• Like 3

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

5 hours ago, Frostweaver said:

I suspect that the feed was cut to protect patents... After all, if we had seen the little tractor beams pop up and guide the Falcon 9 into a perfect touchdown, we might suspect something.

Watching the feed, and then the cut-out, I was thinking what a truly bad time for the video to fail.  We'll now have conspiracy theorists stating that the whole thing was faked and they used the gap to swap video footage.  :classic_rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Techwright said:

Watching the feed, and then the cut-out, I was thinking what a truly bad time for the video to fail.  We'll now have conspiracy theorists stating that the whole thing was faked and they used the gap to swap video footage.  :classic_rolleyes:

Well, you know that the moon landing was faked, right?  😉