What Is the **WORST** AT/PowerSet Combination?

_NOPE_

1 hour ago, killigraphy said:

Blaster - AR/Devices, Ar being the lowest hitting (albeit fast recharging) AT  in the game, coupled with the most useless secondary in the game, just made life hell. And I trudged along for 50 levels of that nonsense....it never got better, IO's made Full Auto pretty much perma, but who cares? You're not killing anything with that tier 9 if your target is a red or above. On its own, Devices seems "cool" but its essentially, just a stealth secondary with a decent acc/dmg boost (Drone). I never used mines, mainly because waiting three-five seconds to set up a time bomb and several mines-per, was a waste of time. I Never soloed...and even then the experience was  trash.

That's kind of hilarious ... because my best friend mainlined an AR/Devices Blaster (rolled up in Issue 3) who was commonly known as "The Angel of Death" among the many members of the SG we ran with.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

On 6/9/2020 at 11:48 AM, Peacemoon said:

Fair enough. A lot my problems with MMs is just me being me. Maybe there are some real issues with them, but if you’re enjoying it then fair play.

As for /Sonic I just always find it boring. But actually maybe it would be more interesting on MM in the way it can raise your pets survivability and hep their damage.

MM's are probably the most "different" play style possible, so I can definitely see them not clicking with some people.  Have also heard according to the stats they are the AT most likely for people to start and then abandon before reaching 50.  So, you aren't the only one.

I think MM drawbacks are well known, but at least for me mostly it was just finding a MM combo I could make both "sturdy" (like most people I don't like having to resummon a lot), and with pets you find "cool".  I just love the way grave knights whack things, even though I've tried playing a broadsword scrapper myself and didn't care for it nearly as much that way.   

5 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

I beg to differ with this statement.  My most recent level 50+3 is an Energy/Devices Blaster, and he's the most fun I've had in a long time. 

IMO, Devices is probably one of the best Blaster secondaries: Targeting Drone gives over 97% ToHit for bonus damage on every snipe, and Field Operative is defense, endurance recovery, and stealth all rolled into one tidy power.  When combined with Smoke Grenade and/or Celerity +Stealth in Sprint, there isn't any mission or almost any mob I can't completely ghost with impunity.  Gun Drone is a great pet for ranged-only Blasters, as it serves as a great distraction and aggo magnet.  The available set bonuses for it are also pretty useful.

IMO, Trick Arrow is still the most useless secondary in the game -- at least until it gets the love I hear is coming Soon™ to HC.

You're more than likely focusing on the ENRG part of the build, which would make sense, since its explosive and kills everything in sight with just a breath. As far as devices go, on large teams running  through TF's and  missions in general, no one is going to wait for you to plant mines and time bombs, I already gave credit to the drone  and invis bonuses, but even then, a few IO's slotted already do plenty of regen/recov.

I'd agree that trick Arrow is the king of completely useless secondaries.

4 hours ago, Redlynne said:

That's kind of hilarious ... because my best friend mainlined an AR/Devices Blaster (rolled up in Issue 3) who was commonly known as "The Angel of Death" among the many members of the SG we ran with.

More than likely didn't run with any other Blaster, as a person who's made an Elec/Fire and Ice/Elec, I can tell you that any AR was deemed useless if I was in the party. Full Auto is nice, and with IO's perma,  but when anything else comes into the party, it means nothing.

On 6/9/2020 at 6:52 PM, Rathulfr said:

Recently, someone commented that there weren't any level 50 AR/Dark Blasters in the stats.  So I took that as "Challenge accepted!" and rolled one up.  Now there is at least one level 50 AR/Dark Blaster (mine), and I won't ever do that again. 

It was terrible.  It had all of the underwhelming performance of AR, combined with a complete lack of synergy with the Darkness secondary (which is definitely a blapper set, let me tell you).  It was tedious, it was painful, it was slow.  Never again.

I found a number of unicorns in the March data, and if I can get off my butt I'll get them all to 50 eventually.

On a separate project, I recently got two corruptors into their high 30s.  Their powers were entirely thematic, the play was pure solo redside, and the experience was mostly painful.  Electric/Kinetics and Archery/Pain.  I expect the Elec/Kin will really shine from here on out with end drain, but levelling was a chore.  The archery/pain was not terrible, but there was no synergy.  A solo Pain ends up choosing about three powers (or something like that) and archery with lethal damage and no special effects to proc off of is as ordinary as you get.

Who run Bartertown?

On 6/11/2020 at 9:36 AM, Seigmoraig said:

Petless Masterminds are the bottom of the barrel. Add on to that a secondary that is group oriented and you are going to be in for a bad time

Not sure if i'd count them as they are *purposefully* bad, but I do think that Mercs/TA may be in the running for the CoH pain olympics

Corruptor/EnergyBlast/Traps.

Set up the traps and just knock them all away. Outdoor maps are just silly. 

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

4 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

I do think that Mercs/TA may be in the running for the CoH pain olympics

They'll be running behind Ninjas/TA ... and they'll lose the race ...

IifneyR.gif

16 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Not sure if i'd count them as they are *purposefully* bad, but I do think that Mercs/TA may be in the running for the CoH pain olympics

There is nothing in CoH that is more purposefully bad than a petless MM. I mean there is literally no reason to do it other an give yourself a hard time.
I mean it's not even something that most people would think of doing unless they saw it on the forums it's so bad and weird of a concept and even then you need to find guides and brainstorm how to even make it function...

Edited by Seigmoraig

1 hour ago, Seigmoraig said:

There is nothing in CoH that is more purposefully bad than a petless MM. I mean there is literally no reason to do it other an give yourself a hard time.
I mean it's not even something that most people would think of doing unless they saw it on the forums it's so bad and weird of a concept and even then you need to find guides and brainstorm how to even make it function...

Right, which is why I'm not even sure it counts as you are *making yourself bad on purpose*

My first character on live was an Elec/Ice blaster. It was a rather painful combo then. I am sure it would be better now with IO's but not then. I haven't rolled one on HC due to the bad memories.

I do have a TA/DP Defender named Redraw McGraw. He is rather pitiful as well.

20 minutes ago, dopeninja said:

My first character on live was an Elec/Ice blaster. It was a rather painful combo then. I am sure it would be better now with IO's but not then. I haven't rolled one on HC due to the bad memories.

I do have a TA/DP Defender named Redraw McGraw. He is rather pitiful as well.

2 of my friends and I randomly saw a petless mastermind, he was necro/kin I think? It was terrible, I asked him why and he said because it sounded horrible... We then thought it would be a good idea to PICK terrible builds for each other. I gave my buddy an Assault Rifle/TA defender. I told him to name him Redraw McGraw haha. He played it for like 4 levels and quit.

• Haha 1

Ninja/TA MM would probably be the worst to play with for sure...if not, definitely in the top 5.  I did a Ninja/Dark MM back on live and it worked but was still painful. 

Another painful combo would be, and is, TA/A Defender.  I had one on live and solo'ing was painful!  :(  Soooo slow...granted, on teams he was okay (had more primary powers than attacks) but yeah...just bad...

3 hours ago, Seigmoraig said:

There is a reason, if you wanted whip attacks, the only way you get them is with the Demon Summoning power set.  Petless Demon Summoning and you get to have whip attacks.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, energizing_ion said:

Petless Demon Summoning and you get to have whip attacks.

And yet, strangely, you can also get the whip attacks WITH demons you can summon ... who knew?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

IifneyR.gif

11 minutes ago, energizing_ion said:

There is a reason, if you wanted whip attacks, the only way you get them is with the Demon Summoning power set.  Petless Demon Summoning and you get to have whip attacks.

OORRR

A with-pet summon demon summoning AND whip attacks.

For melee ATs at least I'd say Martial Arts is definitely up there for the worst primary. It has a mixed bag of secondary crowd control meaning none of them really ever get applied, its ST damage is mediocre and AoE is pretty garbage. For secondary, I'd say either Ice (the Scrapper version is ok) or Stone Armor, but with IOs I'd say Stone takes the cake as Ice's shortcomings are easier to deal with. Basically the worst melee AT I can imagine is MA/Stone Brute that doesn't even get the +Def from Storm Kick like Tankers.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

15 minutes ago, energizing_ion said:

You know whip attacks and pets aren't mutually exclusive

11 minutes ago, DSorrow said:

For melee ATs at least I'd say Martial Arts is definitely up there for the worst primary. It has a mixed bag of secondary crowd control meaning none of them really ever get applied, its ST damage is mediocre and AoE is pretty garbage. For secondary, I'd say either Ice (the Scrapper version is ok) or Stone Armor, but with IOs I'd say Stone takes the cake as Ice's shortcomings are easier to deal with. Basically the worst melee AT I can imagine is MA/Stone Brute that doesn't even get the +Def from Storm Kick like Tankers.

Brutes do get the +def from Storm Kick 7.5% def to be specific where as tankers get 10%

*Blasters, Dominators, Scrappers & Stalkers do not get any def bonus

58 minutes ago, Seigmoraig said:

Choosing not to use your pets on a MM is a textbook definition of making yourself bad on purpose

Right, but then so is like.... 6 slotting brawl and only using that. I believe the spirit of the thread is looking for what combos are "Naturally" bad, and not ones that you force into badness.