On the joys of playing off-meta

Gulbasaur

Recently, I've been playing with my brother a lot. It's a nice way to hang out and we're ploughing through story arcs at a leisurely pace. The reward merits are rolling in nicely.

What's really nice, however, is that he is just there to have fun. No pressure for rewards, characters are dropped as soon as they hit a point of indifference, costumes and names as sublime as they are ridiculous. 

His power choices reflect this. Knockback was his first love and he's gone all in on it with Tornado. I'm sorta-tanking (although on a widow so I drop aggro like he drops alts), and he's just there having fun. Doesn't really care if he's defeated (I have TT: Vengeance, so he's being useful), doesn't pick up contacts, doesn't care about the meta... he just has fun. And it's great.

I mostly team with people with lower levels than me (keeping your baby tanker alive is a nice little minigame) and spend a lot of my time exemplared. The game is so much more fun for me when I know I can't steamroll everything and combat moves from "drop the AoEs on the tank and wait" to genuinely interesting and occasionally even tactical.

So, if you've ever complained the game is too easy, or that it's just a farm, or the you can solo +4x8 in your sleep, I urge you to put to bed your AoE tank'n'spank, perma-Hasten, IO'd to within a nanometre builds and roll something self-indulgent.

3-slot your knockbacks. Take all the teleport powers. Herd enemies with repel.

If you're honest in the LFG (the words "chilled out" are a magic summoning spell for like-minded players) and you don't pretend to be a speedrunner, you'll enjoy it so much. The thing is, it's not even particularly ineffective.

Remember, efficient isn't the same as fun and gathering material rewards isn't the same as enjoying yourself.

So, roll the gimmicky, inefficient but entertaining and off-meta monstrosity you've always wanted to and go and get stuff done.

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Like 12
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

I ran an ITF yesterday and one of my SG mates is an Energy/Storm Def with lots of knockback.   We decided that a third category of ITF was needed.  It wasn't Speed or Kill All (though we did clean up a lot), but more a Chaos ITF.   Mostly done at +1.

I think the seven people on the TF had fun (at least the vocal ones)

There is something satisfying about gathering a large mob of romans on a bridge and having someone nova in the middle knocking everyone off.

Edited by lemming
hit wrong key :D
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lemming said:

I ran an ITF yesterday and one of my SG mates is an Energy/Storm Def with lots of knockback.   We decided that a third category of ITF was needed.  It wasn't Speed or Kill All (though we did clean up a lot), but more a Chaos ITF.   Mostly done at +1.

I think the seven people on the TF had fun (at least the vocal ones)

There is something satisfying about gathering a large mob of romans on a bridge and having someone nova in the middle knocking everyone off.

You should run an all storm ITF.  Pretty easy to throw together a full team since the set is popular and it's tons of fun

• Like 3

You've described... pretty much what I mean when I've said, in the past, that I find the "nothing can touch me" builds boring. For me, they're like cheat codes (disclaimer before anyone misreads that: no, I am not saying people using high end IO builds are in any way cheating.) Might be fun for a bit, but after a while it takes something vital away from the game and I just can't enjoy it.

I may not go with "gimmicky" (or what would probably be labeled "self defeating") but I pick up what seems interesting, play through and just try to be mellow about it. Haven't had to post looking for help with something ... pretty much ever, though if something unique spawns or I'm running something with a badge (or I see something GM-ish to be defeated,) I'll mention it.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

50 minutes ago, josh1622 said:

You should run an all storm ITF.  Pretty easy to throw together a full team since the set is popular and it's tons of fun

You must require: no use of AoE Immobs to convert knockback to knockdown. Release the Knockback!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gulbasaur said:

His power choices reflect this. Knockback was his first love and he's gone all in on it

Challenge him to slot all of his Knockback powers with Knockback sets for even MORE Knockback.  Objective ... MAXIMUM Knockback ...!

Then turn him loose on unsuspecting Hellions in Atlas Park.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

6 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

Challenge him to slot all of his Knockback powers with Knockback sets for even MORE Knockback. 

I don't have to challenge him, he does it anyway.

He had started asking about pets recently, but also doesn't really like masterminds. He did get on very well with a gravity controller because throwing washing machines at people is always entertaining.

• Like 2
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Having just come off a Manti TF where some high powered teammates just stealthed to the end of every mission and did every objective while most of the team just idled near the start...

I have to agree. 

The most fun I have in this game is just doing small team content with 1 or 2 people I know. We raise the difficulty high and we talk over mic and play strategically to overcome what is in front of us. Plus we can take it slow and it doesn’t have to be so gogogo, and you feel like you can actually contribute to the team’s success.

I know people like to rush and a lot of the time they could solo the whole TF, but for the players left behind while a few melee do everything it can make the game very boring. Unfortunately I was on a character who couldn’t stealth or really take on a full group of Crey, but they didn’t seem to care.

Edited by Peacemoon
  • Like 3

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Totally agreed. The animations, knockback, and weird ranged attack powers in the Kinetic Melee (Scrapper) powerset are why I fell in love with the set and made it my main even though it's definitely not top tier. I even went all out and enhanced knockback. It's a game. Play it to have fun. If you're grouping, I only care if your choices are repeatedly getting the team killed (i.e. aggroing other mobs with knockback). As long as that isn't happening, you do you.

I much prefer ever so slightly slower missions where every player is having fun versus snooze fest farm missions that speed run for objective/clear or diligently herd and farm every pull and only the spines/fire brute seems to be enjoying himself. 

Edited by Strawberry
  • Like 2

50 Kinetic Melee / Regen Scrapper  🐊

50 Pain Domination / Fire Defender  🍰 

The overpowered nature of high level toons is one reason I keep rolling alts and haven't gone past mid 30s on any toon yet. The game has stopped being a challenge and that isn't fun. 

I would love to be in a recurring group that only played toons that weren't OP.  This group would not use any IOs (except perhaps knockback to knockdown as a QoL improvement). All toons would be slotted with basic crafted IOs at or below level 25.  No temporary Powers or P2W powers (maybe allow vet powers at low level since a two power attack rotation isn't a challenge so much as its boring).  

4 minutes ago, FrauleinMental said:

I'd had the strange thought this morning of another build for my main (Mind/Kin) just to use Telekinesis and Repel.

Fair warning ... you will never have a blue bar ever again if you try that ...

• Haha 1

IifneyR.gif

Just now, FrauleinMental said:

That's what Transference is for, right? 🙂

Yes, but as for being able to keep up with the drain ...

/em significant look

• Confused 1

IifneyR.gif

4 hours ago, FrauleinMental said:

I'd had the strange thought this morning of another build for my main (Mind/Kin) just to use Telekinesis and Repel.

Telekinesis is actually one of my favorite powers to use when there is an Empath on my team with RA keeping me going. The hold is so ridiculous. As long as you can aim it towards a wall, it's so ❤️

I feel like it's way underrated by the community.

Edited by Strawberry

50 Kinetic Melee / Regen Scrapper  🐊

50 Pain Domination / Fire Defender  🍰 

10 hours ago, josh1622 said:

And it was a blast, 8 Stormies from Repeat Offenders SG Perfect Storms back on Live.  I'm not even sure IO's were around yet.  The ambush atop the hill devolved into some insane chaos between Hurricanes, Tornados and Lightning Storms.  Love to do that again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zanthyna said:

The overpowered nature of high level toons is one reason I keep rolling alts and haven't gone past mid 30s on any toon yet.

FWIW, some of the level 50 only content is very good, so it's worth getting at least one into incarnate territory. The raids aren't particularly hard, but they are mostly pretty fun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

FWIW, some of the level 50 only content is very good, so it's worth getting at least one into incarnate territory. The raids aren't particularly hard, but they are mostly pretty fun.

Yeah I do find them pretty fun overall. 
Also the Apex and Tinmage TFs are pretty epic, but everytime I’ve done them it’s been so rushed it’s hard to take in what’s happening. Looking forward to doing them at a slower pace sometime 

• Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

3 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

Also the Apex and Tinmage TFs are pretty epic, but everytime I’ve done them it’s been so rushed it’s hard to take in what’s happening. Looking forward to doing them at a slower pace sometime 

I duoed them both not so long ago, and that was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

5 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

That's why I team at lower or mid levels, and generally solo at higher or Incarnate levels. Teaming at 50 is a blur of damage and dead bodies. Soloing, however, you can challenge yourself while you can read the story and see lots and lots of new enemy types. Plus old ones upgraded with new spiritual leaders.

• Like 1

My son and I made twins for hazard arcs.  No 2x XP, playing relaxed and fun.  We finished hollows yesterday at 14 so needed a lvl to start faultline at 15...tried Posi 1 where we died repeatedly on the shadow selves until my hot spot died.  

We never care about defeats or debt as long as it is fun!  Half of the fun is having identical names and confusing the folks in General chat hehehe.  

Edited by EmmySky
Autocorrect has me in a strangle hold...send help 😝
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

My son and I made twins for hazard arcs.  No 2x XP, playing relaxed and fun.  We finished hollows yesterday at 14 so needed a lvl to start faultline at 15...tried Posi 1 where we died repeatedly on the shadow selves until my hot spot died.  

We never care about defeats or debt as long as it is fun!  Half of the fun is having identical names and confusing the folks in General chat hehehe.  

I saw two characters at the steel canyon university identically dressed and named, was that you? I was confused for a few minutes until I figured out how they had named their character the same. Splitshot I think? Both were electrical melee and willpower I think!

Edited by Peacemoon

Retired, October 2022.

39 minutes ago, Peacemoon said:

I saw two characters at the steel canyon university identically dressed and named, was that you? I was confused for a few minutes until I figured out how they had named their character the same. Splitshot I think? Both were electrical melee and willpower I think!

No he and I have Classified (CIassified) which he just basically copied my toon he loved and Bluetifful (BluetiffuI) which was born after I watched Breakfast at Tiffanys (again) so we have two sets of twins lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmmySky said:

No he and I have Classified (CIassified) which he just basically copied my toon he loved and Bluetifful (BluetiffuI) which was born after I watched Breakfast at Tiffanys (again) so we have two sets of twins lol

Love it!

Duos are such a great way to experience this game. Really recommend to everyone if you can find a partner. 

Retired, October 2022.