Roleplay Pet Peeves

blue4333

One peeve I haven't mentioned before is child characters. No, just no. Not now, not ever. It should be forbidden. I don't roleplay with them, I don't want to be near them, and I'll leave teams, drop from events, and remove chat channels to be away from them. 

Teenage superheroes have been a thing for ages, but kids? Only now and then do they ever come up, and most the time tend to be insufferable (I'm looking at you Damian Wayne. You too Riri Williams!)

But, even if that wasn't the case, cant say I've ever seen anyone RP children in a way that was appropriate, sadly... I'm sure there's exceptions, but even then there's the risk of other people not being appropriate around them.

So either way, it's pretty dicey.

11 hours ago, Andreah said:

One peeve I haven't mentioned before is child characters. No, just no. Not now, not ever. It should be forbidden. I don't roleplay with them, I don't want to be near them, and I'll leave teams, drop from events, and remove chat channels to be away from them. 

Insufferable little brats, aren't they?

For me it's when someone feels the need to bring their child character to a conflict based event. It gets tiring having every misdeed your villain ever committed overshadowed by people obsessing over the fact they gave a runt who caber tossed an entire freaking car at them a bloody nose.

That and the weird fixation of making child characters drooling brainlets obsessed with cookies.

• Like 2

spacer.png

opossum haha

10 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

Teenage superheroes have been a thing for ages, but kids?

I'm okay with eighteen or nineteen year old heroes. Legally, they're adults. Sixteen and seventeen, at least could get drivers licenses, jobs, and are in many places at the age of consent. Below that, it's child endangerment, or even a war crime for them to be there.

On 3/9/2021 at 11:05 PM, twozerofoxtrot said:

Hardly a pet peeve but something I've noticed before that always elicits a chuckle: When players at the Pocket D upstairs bar just suddenly "nope out" over the rails and jump to the floor below.

Like they're walking around, looking for a conversation or maybe they just finished one, or something, and then with walk on and everything just fling themselves 5 meters to the floor below. I mean we're all supers and probably everyone could shrug off that fall, so IC I suppose there is nothing wrong with that. But  something about how the player will spend 45 seconds to strut up the stairs, but the exit has to be quick and in a hurry.

One of my characters has the backflip emote bound to a key so she can backflip off platforms for a dramatic exit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Teens I can deal with. I got a little tired of them being the sole focus with some groups, but all in all I've never felt particularly uncomfortable playing as or with older high school or younger college-aged characters... Particularly not if they came from a background that's far enough out of the ordinary to justify their being at least a little more mature and level-headed than the average kid their age.

But... yeah. I'm with you guys on the really young characters. I'd be wary of trying to play anyone younger than Amset or Kai (My youngest characters, who are 16 and 17-).

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

17 hours ago, Andreah said:

Seen too many sexualized child characters for me to be comfortable with them, myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheCorvus said:
3 hours ago, Moka said:

Seen too many sexualized child characters for me to be comfortable with them, myself.

Yup. That's it. Right there.

That's my number 1 objection. Number 2 is exposing them to crime/fighting violence, Number 3 is the often terrible effect on ongoing-roleplay.  Number 4 is how badly many (not all, to be fair) are portrayed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andreah said:

That's my number 1 objection. Number 2 is exposing them to crime/fighting violence, Number 3 is the often terrible effect on ongoing-roleplay.  Number 4 is how badly many (not all, to be fair) are portrayed.

After some of the vile stuff I saw people talking about in Sims 4 forums...and mod requests I saw...

Let's just say, not much could surprise me now.

Since we've taken a bit of a grim turn, maybe I should put forward one of my peeves that is a little more light hearted? 😄

Why is everyone on their phones these days? I went to Pocket D and there was 4 different people texting on their phones. Sometimes even you'll see people standing right next to each other texting (I assume) each other!

I've also seen people with laptops and tablets too, those guys take it to a whole new level... 

I dunno, maybe I just feel like I'm being left out of a text chain 😋

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

Since we've taken a bit of a grim turn, maybe I should put forward one of my peeves that is a little more light hearted? 😄

Why is everyone on their phones these days? I went to Pocket D and there was 4 different people texting on their phones. Sometimes even you'll see people standing right next to each other texting (I assume) each other!

I've also seen people with laptops and tablets too, those guys take it to a whole new level... 

When I go to the D, which isn't very often these days, I lurk old-school reading the newspaper.

Thunder Paw (sib-in-law's Storm/Water pup) and Andris (my Kin/Electric defender Energy Mage) were standing around the ski slope last night eating donuts and Pop Dancing. We'll have to try the texting thing next time. 😝

• Haha 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 3/13/2021 at 9:20 AM, Andreah said:

I'm okay with eighteen or nineteen year old heroes. Legally, they're adults. Sixteen and seventeen, at least could get drivers licenses, jobs, and are in many places at the age of consent. Below that, it's child endangerment, or even a war crime for them to be there.

Batman is seriously a serial child endanderer

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tyrannical said:

This is a RL problem as well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Andreah said:

Well, I'm not an expert, but I think Burt Ward was about 20 when the first TV show was being made. Wasn't Robin in college between the Ka-Pows!?

Only on TV

Robin is generally between 10 and 16 in the comics. 

Damian Wayne definitively was specifically 10.  

Dick Grayson starting in the golden silver age was less specific but was a tween basically.  

In some versions his age is listed as 10.  In All Star Batman and Robin its a plot point used to demo how screwed up Batman is.  In a Batman comic.  

Batgirl also started out at 15.

Batwoman's partner is 16.  And is nearly murdered attempting to solo crimefight in a dramatic book where the near murder is interposed with the consumation of BW and Maggie Sawyer's relationship.

1 hour ago, Tyrannical said:

Those inter-dimensional phone bills must be a killer.

• Haha 4

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

21 hours ago, Andreah said:

Putting aside the obvious problem of creeps RPing them for sexual stuff which is never okay, I think a lot of the other problems just come from it being pretty difficult to actually write children well. Even outside of RP, it's pretty difficult to find child characters in fiction that are written well. It's something most professional writers can't get right, let alone people just playing pretend in a superhero game for fun. So while I can't forgive somebody RPing a child character for sketchy reasons, I can at least understand somebody trying to RP one for entirely wholesome intentions and just not sticking the landing with it.

That said, Pocket D is for sure not the place for any child character. Even one that's actually well written and not played with creepy intent, the place is still a night club. That's a setting that just by design kinda requires characters there to be adults.

• Thanks 4