Idea: "Wildcard" Invention IOs

This is an idea to add even more diversity and (imo) fun to Invention Sets. Is it too powerful? Maybe, but I'll throw it out there and see if there's any interest.

A new Wildcard IO would not give any direct enhancements, but would count towards the Invention Set Bonuses of every other IO slotted into the power.

Example: if you have one "Thunderstrike" IO and one "Devastation" IO slotted in an attack, you get no Set Bonuses. But add a Wildcard IO, it counts towards BOTH and now you get the first bonus for both sets. The trade-off is that the Wildcard itself is a wasted slot, it doesn't enhance the power at all.

Only one Wildcard IO allowed per power, so you can't get two fourth-tier bonuses. I'm not even sure how often people would use them, this idea is just a fun option to add to creating builds.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

As a Unique, I could see this being a very interesting little play-thing!

I'm not opposed, but I'm sure we'll hear someone denouncing it on the grounds of "power creep."

Power creeeeeeep!

... actually, I think the fact it would keep you from getting higher tier bonuses as well as... "blanking" an enhancement slot would balance out concerns there. Maybe.

Would it do the same if, say, you had three of one set, one of the other - would both get "promoted" one bonus tier?

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Would it do the same if, say, you had three of one set, one of the other - would both get "promoted" one bonus tier?

Yes. With six slots you could have five first tier bonuses, or a five tier and a two tier, two first tiers and a third tier... The goal is really just to create more Invention Set combo possibilities. If it seems too powerful, making it unique is a good idea.

39 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

Hmm, giving it some more thought . . . since this Wild Card Enhancement might not have any modifiers of its own, you would only be getting the Power Bonuses from the other Enhancements, and the Set Bonuses.  That might actually balance this thing out pretty well.

Can't put my finger on why, but I like the idea of making it a unique.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Think its a interesting idea.. Definitely needs to be checked and double checked to make sure nothing unbalanced occurs. 

But its a very simple idea.

9 hours ago, plainguy said:

Think its a interesting idea.. Definitely needs to be checked and double checked to make sure nothing unbalanced occurs. 

But its a very simple idea.

I do think that the lack of enhancement to the power itself is a huge cost that should balance it out.

• Like 1

Interesting.  It is more powerful than the way things stand now, but I don't think it is wildly overpowered, mainly due to the fact that most "good" set bonuses are back loaded.  As a unique, I could see this getting play with a procced out power:  5 set procs and the wildcard.

Who run Bartertown?