Travel Power speed cap lifted?

So what's the thoughts on raising the movement speed cap?

One of my favorite things in CoH is super speed, and the same with many friends where their favorite thing is just flying about. There's nothing better than increasing the speed through Inspirations, or getting Afterburner and zipping around.

But it's so easy to hit the speed cap though, and I'm not really sure why it exists. If there is a reason, can we not still lift it? I would make up a character and put max slots on super speed, speed of sound, swift and sprint, just for fun :)

Thanks CoH Community!

• Like 1

The reason is largely an engine limitation.  There are reports of players exceeding the Speed Cap before there -was- a Speed Cap and nuking their entire server with a runtime error (not a pun) or a stack overflow.  At least for run speed.

Flight Speed cap, I think had to do with being able to control your character at that speed, or the AI getting SERIOUSLY bonkers.

Maybe the new hardware and new 64-bit client could support higher Speed Caps, but that's not for me to say.

• Thanks 1

Spaceballs already warned us about the dangers of going at LUDICROUS SPEED

qZtMM4z.gif.585e2dd9e1adebb34e2b80cfea2aa0ef.gif

But yeah, fun though it might be I believe the cap is an engine limitation, rather than a hardware issue on our end.

Maybe some day we'll be fast enough to clip through the geometry and stumble and fall endlessly into the whirling and infinite abyss.

• Like 1

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

Please tell me which inspiration boosts my speed cuz I need it.

No I dont need it cuz I already get stuck in trees flying or jumping through zones but honestly didnt know there was an inspiration to do this so I just wanna know (I will sell them on AH to avoid crashing stuff, I promise).

Edited by EmmySky
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

Please tell me which inspiration boosts my speed cuz I need it.

No I dont need it cuz I already get stuck in trees flying or jumping through zones but honestly didnt know there was an inspiration to do this so I just wanna know (I will sell them on AH to avoid crashing stuff, I promise).

First I have heard of it too. 

10 minutes ago, Korstovor said:

Inspirations? Who said that? That's just silly, I'm sure they ment 'enhancements'.

(Although... Not a bad idea...) 

Crash and burn!  You got my hopes up.  

Ok fair enough.  I always try to assume there is stuff I dont know rather than someone meant something else.  I was really hoping to learn something today.  

• Thanks 1

Proposed: 

• Inspiration color:   Plaid   (red/green?  red/blue?  red/black?  I don't care.  but it must be Plaid)
  • Small:   name:  "Zoom"   boost speed cap by 20%  (stacks with all movement powers including Afterburner)
  • Medium  name:   "Fast and Frumious"   boost speed cap by 40%  (stacks with all movement powers including Afterburner)
  • Large:   name:  "LUDICROUS SPEED!"   boost speed cap by 200%, FORCES user into forward motion AT the new speed cap, for the full duration.  User CANNOT stand still or hover in place.  User can only stop by dying or by sufficient application of hostile Immob / Hold effects, or by smacking into a wall, and they'll still be running/flying forward into the wall.

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Proposed: 

• Inspiration color:   Plaid   (red/green?  red/blue?  red/black?  I don't care.  but it must be Plaid)
  • Small:   name:  "Zoom"   boost speed cap by 20%  (stacks with all movement powers including Afterburner)
  • Medium  name:   "Fast and Frumious"   boost speed cap by 40%  (stacks with all movement powers including Afterburner)
  • Large:   name:  "LUDICROUS SPEED!"   boost speed cap by 200%, FORCES user into forward motion AT the new speed cap, for the full duration.  User CANNOT stand still or hover in place.  User can only stop by dying or by sufficient application of hostile Immob / Hold effects, or by smacking into a wall, and they'll still be running/flying forward into the wall.

I would donate all the monies for this. 

Twelve large plz

• Like 1

I think that specialized travel powers (from travel pools) should have slightly higher caps than mixed travel powers (from origin pools).

• Like 2

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

6 hours ago, Zepp said:

I think that specialized travel powers (from travel pools) should have slightly higher caps than mixed travel powers (from origin pools).

I don't really think that's necessary.  The pure travel pools already bring some really strong benefits to incentivize taking the over the origin versions. 

TP can slot range enhancements while Translocation can't.  In that regard, it is already faster. 

Fly helps give you access to Afterburner, again making you faster than Mystic Flight, while also giving you 2 spots for Luck of the Gamblers (hover and afterburner). 

Super Jump is in the same set as CJ (saving you a pool slot) and the rest of Force of Will is generally pretty bad, so there's clear incentive to take SJ over ML.

Speed of Sound has no stealth component while SS does, giving you full stealth when used with a stealth IO, and SS is in the same pool as Hasten, the most commonly taken pool power (again saving you a pool slot).

If anything, I've always felt the Origin travel picks were the more "convenient" choices to unlock the top tier powers and if you really wanted an optimal travel power, you'd go with a travel pool because they give you better options.  

Actually, I believe CJ is the most commonly taken pool power.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

2 hours ago, Zepp said:

Actually, I believe CJ is the most commonly taken pool power.

Sure.  1st place, 2nd place, whichever way around.  The rest of my point holds.  There are already plenty of reasons to take the travel pools over the origin powers without fudging with speed caps.