Remember when...

TheOtherTed

7 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

Remember when the horse from Duillond to Celondim would veer off-trail and leap into the ravine, carrying you to a swift, confusing, and unavoidable death?

Oh, wait, wrong game.

Lord of the Rings Online, where even swift travel was a challenge! 👍

• Haha 1

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

1 hour ago, Ohsirus said:

Tanks would herd Perez Park and you'd see what looked like hundreds of Skulls and Hellions charging down the street.

Didn't even need to be a Tank.  I was maybe level 6 in issue 3 when I saw my first huge herd.  I was in the Hollows when this level 50 Stormie came flying by with what seemed like every Troll, Ogre, Skull,CoT and Outcast from the Skyway entrance to almost the Atlas entrance in tow as I plastered my lowbie self to the War Wall hoping not to be noticed.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Ohsirus said:

Tanks would herd Perez Park and you'd see what looked like hundreds of Skulls and Hellions charging down the street.

Or the wolf herding mission on the map that's the NE corner of Boomtown, where if you were too close to the dumpster when the Devices Blaster zoomed in to let the trip mines go off, you'd get a pop-up window from the game engine with the error "Too many effects to render."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nitekilla said:

Remember when you could make a perma MoG toon ? 

I never understood MoG; it seemed to me that, with it's "drop to 10% HP, get 90% resistance to everything but Psi" mechanics, it was functionally equivalent to "activate this power to take 10x damage from Psi"

Edited by srmalloy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/6/2020 at 11:44 PM, Hardship said:

Was the taxi brigade around on Victory? I don't remember using them and I DO remember creeping around the Hollows trying not to die -- a LOT!

Yes, they were on Victory. That was my home server and I remember them. 

When you only picked an empath after failing to get any other defender.

I still get a little upset just typing enhancement diversification.

Doing 1 sewer run, hopefully all the way to King's Row, adding your team to friend's list at the end.

The feeling of accomplishment after dinging 50 for the first time.

13 hours ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

I still get a little upset just typing enhancement diversification.

Doing 1 sewer run, hopefully all the way to King's Row, adding your team to friend's list at the end.

The feeling of accomplishment after dinging 50 for the first time.

First one might have only been you - or a select few.

My first 50 back in the day was an emp defender who never got a moments rest.

If I wasnt on a team, I was being messaged asking me to join.  Think I hit 50 pretty quickly, just by joining a ton of pick up groups

When HC relaunched, my first toon was an emp defender - my how things have changed.  I now go days without finding a team.

Im right there with you 100% on the sewer run - those were a nightly tradition for me   

13 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Nerf Regen

Then they did. 

I still remember the 'explanation' for the rework of Regeneration, that they had tested it on their internal test server, and a Claws/Regen Scrapper was able to easily defeat +4 spawns for an eight-man team (this being before Inventions and ED). And the widespread calls of bullshit from the players. And the nerf went in, and only some time after did the devs admit that their internal test server was bugged, and didn't have the 'purple patch', so their test scrapper was hitting several times as often for several times the damage he should have, and likewise wasn't being hit as often or for as much damage -- but the nerf to Regen was necessary, and would stay in the game.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

I remember when people considered empath the only real healer.

I also remember ticking off a teammate when she insisted we get a "healer," told me there was an empath available (I was the leader), and I chose a Storm def just because.

40 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

I remember when people considered empath the only real healer.

I also remember ticking off a teammate when she insisted we get a "healer," told me there was an empath available (I was the leader), and I chose a Storm def just because.

And did they have O2 Boost like a proper Healzor.   😜

I'm never going to see another hit like the one I got with my Katana/Regen scrapper during the testing of inventions, the beneficiary of one of the most awesome bugs that ever appeared in the game (unfortunately fixed before it went live)... The second bugged version of the Touch of Lady Grey: Chance for Negative Energy Damage. The first one was more "chance for negative damage" -- when it proc'ed, it did a negative amount of damage to the target, healing it. The second? "Chance to One-Shot" -- when it proc'ed, it did a rudely absurd amount of damage (scaling with the target's HP, making it worse). I had gotten the recipe, crafted it, and slotted it in The Lotus Drops. After the first bug was 'fixed', and I saw what the second bug was, I took the character off to Crey's Folly and found Jurassik. Getting lucky with the first shot, the proc hit for 6.0841e+43 points of damage, one-shotting Jurassik. And I found out afterwards that I wasn't close to the biggest hit with that bug. It's still amusing to know that CoH will seamlessly roll over into scientific notation if a number gets too big.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:06 PM, wjrasmussen said:

Remember when:  You had a mission to run around to all the phone boxes in a zone missions?

I hated it then.

And I still do.

I've had to do the Independence Port Circle a few times.  Other than getting the guided tour, I consider it a waste of time.

Of course, It's particularly annoying when my 2 active contacts want me to go street sweeping in Eden for Devouring Earth - the exact same mission.  Wish I could do it once and have both of them be satisfied.

----------

Have I mentioned how much I love this game?

--I'm online daily (I'm a Torchy)

--I'm in the forums on weekdays offering my 2 cents (adjusted for inflation)

--Having a great time

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 10:06 PM, wjrasmussen said:

Remember when:  You had a mission to run around to all the phone boxes in a zone missions?

Or the cape unlock, where you got to run all over hell's half acre to talk to various people -- the police officer in south Skyway, someone in the ass end of northwestern IP, etc.