Remember when...

TheOtherTed

When Invincibility rooted you?   If you were an Invulnerability tank you took teleport?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

when the Green Line and Yellow lines where separate so you had to fly across Steel Canyon to change lines?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

When you forgot to change the color of your belt (or any other minor cosmetic mess up) in the character creator and then had to sneak all the way to the Icon shop in Steel to make changes.

When sidekick / mentor was a one-to-one relationship and you had to balance that with the mission levels.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hardship said:

When sidekick / mentor was a one-to-one relationship and you had to balance that with the mission levels.

I remember having to make sure there were enough mentors to sidekick up all the lowbies on a higher-level team...and having to rebalance it when someone left or DCed.  I also remember the sidekick/mentor relationship having a finite range.

• Like 8

Remember before AE was released when the DEVs said in the forums ::

"Code of Conduct Reminders: 

* NCsoft has the right to ban any mission that violates the Rules of Conduct or User Agreement.
    * Please click on the aforementioned links for full details.
    * Parodies and derivative works are not allowed.
    * NCsoft has the right to ban any mission that contains words that attempt to bypass the Profanity filter. Repeated violations by an "author" may result in account closure.
    * NCsoft has the right to ban any mission and author that use the Mission Architect system for solicitation of business or advertisement of commercial services or activities.
    * NCsoft reserves the right to ban any missions that contain any exploits that provide unintended statistical advantages. Players and/or "authors" that advertise exploitable missions through our forums, in-game chat system or through the Mission Architect system may be banned from the Mission Architect System or may have their game account closed.
    * NCsoft reserves the right to remove or modify any item, NPC, Mission Map or any other element related to the Mission Architect system for any reason.
          o
          o Mission Architect changes may invalidate "Published" mission, in which case the author should "edit" their Published mission to preserve its rating. "Unpublishing" an invalid mission will result in loss of any earned ratings."

.... and after the release of the AE when there was a mass banning of players and account closures because of farming missions ....

... and the DEVs caving and deleting their post of this in the forums?

I do.

And saved their post before AE was released because I had a pretty good idea what was going to happen.

* highlighting is for emphasis. formatting has been removed.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

3 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Remember before AE was released when the DEVs said in the forums ::

"Code of Conduct Reminders: 

* NCsoft has the right to ban any mission that violates the Rules of Conduct or User Agreement.
    * Please click on the aforementioned links for full details.
    * Parodies and derivative works are not allowed.
    * NCsoft has the right to ban any mission that contains words that attempt to bypass the Profanity filter. Repeated violations by an "author" may result in account closure.
    * NCsoft has the right to ban any mission and author that use the Mission Architect system for solicitation of business or advertisement of commercial services or activities.
    * NCsoft reserves the right to ban any missions that contain any exploits that provide unintended statistical advantages. Players and/or "authors" that advertise exploitable missions through our forums, in-game chat system or through the Mission Architect system may be banned from the Mission Architect System or may have their game account closed.
    * NCsoft reserves the right to remove or modify any item, NPC, Mission Map or any other element related to the Mission Architect system for any reason.
          o
          o Mission Architect changes may invalidate "Published" mission, in which case the author should "edit" their Published mission to preserve its rating. "Unpublishing" an invalid mission will result in loss of any earned ratings."

.... and after the release of the AE when there was a mass banning of players and account closures because of farming missions ....

... and the DEVs caving and deleting their post of this in the forums?

I do.

And saved their post before AE was released because I had a pretty good idea what was going to happen.

* highlighting is for emphasis. formatting has been removed.

AE was the worst thing that Paragon Studios added to the game.  A lot of people warned them during the Issue 14 beta of exactly what would happen if it went live.  They didn’t listen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dying in the Hollows trying to get to a mission as the Pumice / Igneous rock dudes burst out of the earth.

Dying on the way back to a second group of them as you tried to avoid the first group.

Carefully working your way through Grendel's Gorge back the third time, only to watch a teammate awaken the Pumice / Igneous and being "Oh god! Oh god no!" as you die horribly a third time.

Asking yourself why you didn't take Hover, no matter how slow it may be.

Eventually getting a Recall Friend to the door.

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Apparition said:

AE was the worst thing that Paragon Studios added to the game.  A lot of people warned them during the Issue 14 beta of exactly what would happen if it went live.  They didn’t listen.

I'd say that's a HARD no. I mean, they knew of farms, but it's great. It's one of the key things that make us stand out from other MMOs. I can finally make origin arcs and such thanks to it

• Like 7

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

5 minutes ago, Apparition said:

• I liked that AE allowed for player created STORIES.  And I've played some that are really very well done.
  • But I don't like that it kept a big chunk of the player base inside one building instead of travelling around the city. It made the city feel.... much less populated.
  • And I was always disappointed by people using customized enemies to be perfectly weak against their strengths. Sure it's efficient, but ... I don't know.  I'm one of those people who LIKE fighting Rularru and Awakened and Malta and Carnies though, so it just felt to me like people were robbing themselves of any worthwhile challenge.  And I never liked that the farming missions almost never come with a STORY to them. 

TL;DR:   AE can be used for great good as well as endless farming.  But not many use it the way I hoped it would be used.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, MTeague said:

AE can be used for great good as well as endless farming.  But not many use it the way I hoped it would be used.

Agreed.

The brilliant thing that AE did was crowdsource content.

It turns the normal MMO dynamic on its head, leveraging the creativity of the players to help keep themselves amused. Too bad about the farming, there are some excellent stories in the AE system, eclipsed by the "Quick and easy path" of which we were warned by the little green guy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

56 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Dying in the Hollows trying to get to a mission as the Pumice / Igneous rock dudes burst out of the earth.

Dying on the way back to a second group of them as you tried to avoid the first group.

Carefully working your way through Grendel's Gorge back the third time, only to watch a teammate awaken the Pumice / Igneous and being "Oh god! Oh god no!" as you die horribly a third time.

I remember taking hover specifically for the hollows missions, and 3 slotting it with flight speed enhancements. It was faster than sprint! 😀

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Apparition said:

From my perspective--as a story player and not a farmer--AE was one of the greatest things Paragon Studios added to the game. I had a blast creating my own missions and playing good story missions from some pretty solid authors.

Sorting past the farms was annoying, but I could handle it to find content I enjoyed.

I really wish I had remembered to save my Missions folder from my old PC. I have the custom critters and custom groups, but not the missions themselves. Agh!

1 hour ago, wolfshadow31 said:

I remember taking hover specifically for the hollows missions, and 3 slotting it with flight speed enhancements. It was faster than sprint! 😀

But not slotted sprint, unfortunately!

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

2 hours ago, MTeague said:

But I don't like that it kept a big chunk of the player base inside one building instead of travelling around the city. It made the city feel.... much less populated.

I remember the City being virtually empty for weeks, possibly months, after AE hit.  At the time, I teamed heavily, and found myself night after night wondering if it was time to move on to another game.  Just did not want to be part of the AE phenomenon at all.

That said, if the AE buildings had not been placed in starter zones (Atlas, Galaxy City, Mercy Island), I suspect it wouldn't have had such a strong impact on the population, and I might have ended up liking it better.

2 hours ago, MTeague said:

Yes to all that ... including the team deep in the Hollows breaking up post mission and my previously sidekicked now lvl 6 again scrapper Hovering slowly back to the AP door.  Or placing a 'vet' on follow who said he get us to the mission.  Followed him over a boulder into the Gulch.  Died from some Ogres Hurled Rock before I even hit the bottom.  Or the utter joy of zipping along the winter events frozen Red River to get to those distant doors.

Edited by Doomguide2005

19 minutes ago, Xanatos said:

How has this thread turned into an anti-farming thread?

Lmfao

All threads much evenutally coalesce into one of a few categories.  So far I've seen them fall into

1. discussion of Star Wars,
  2. discussion of Babylon 5, 
  3. calls to nerf Regen
  4. complaints about farming
  5. complaints about Knockback
  6. bitching about power creep
  7. pleas to add more power creep
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

All threads much evenutally coalesce into one of a few categories.  So far I've seen them fall into

1. discussion of Star Wars,
  2. discussion of Babylon 5, 
  3. calls to nerf Regen
  4. complaints about farming
  5. complaints about Knockback
  6. bitching about power creep
  7. pleas to add more power creep

You forgot...

8. nerf Regen

One reference to nerfing regen is never enough, there should be a minimum of two such calls per thread list

• Thanks 1