Power Pool Idea, not sure how feasible - Firearms pool

If there were a firearm power pool that gave some basic shooting things, just for the people that want to do characters that carry guns as a minor thing. I suppose it would need to be either two different pools (pistol and longarms) or else have differing animations based on what weapon is attached to it (hence why I suspect this is too much trouble) But still, would be cool to do something like pump shotgun shells into a person and then switch to sword for most of fight.

• Like 3

maybe...

Munitions pool

Side arm-  Ranged minor lethal Damage (use burst of speed mechanic give it 6 uses before recharge)

combat knife -melee- moderate lethal damage -def
Hand grenade - location aoe - moderate (fire/)lethal, Knockback 

body armor- auto- s/l resist

combat training - auto - defense melee

Edited by 0th Power
  • Thumbs Up 1

Makes sense to me.  Probably the toughest part would be the inevitable character creator menu to customize it with all the guns available.

17 hours ago, 0th Power said:

Side arm-  Ranged minor lethal Damage (use burst of speed mechanic give it 6 uses before recharge)

I'd go with three gun style attacks.  "Gun shot", "Heavy Shot", "Burst (AoE cone)".  Like the newer Fighting Pool, if you take all three attacks, you get a bonus of some sort.  For example your attacks have a small amount of -Resist, or you get small damage boost.

Then I'd add either Hand Grenade or Combat Knife.  Adding more +Resist to a pool I think could be problematic, it tends to be highly desired by a lot of builds.  I'd go with Combat Training, but I'd make it +Def to Ranged and AoE.  So nice, but a little less useful for the melee builds.

(What I think would be useful is a pool power +Resist or +Def that does not stack with other similar powers from other pools.  Then Brutes and Tankers and Scrappers aren't compelled to try to fit in every pool power.  They can grab one defensive pool that fits their build, and the others become extraneous.  I also think it might be useful to give different values for ATs that already have a lot of defense and resists, and another for squishies.  That would allow squishies to get a higher value and therefore be a lot less squishy, while not over powering the already tougher non-squishy ATs.)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don’t think that having a resist and defense would be that bad or required for every build especially because it would be an auto which would be a smaller number, would require an extra power pick vs tough/weave, and if the defense was only a certain position rather than weave defense to all. 

I could see giving additional buffs to the powers, the more you took. 

• 2 months later
On 7/20/2020 at 11:28 PM, 0th Power said:

maybe...

Munitions pool

Maybe keep it to pistols and shotgun:

Off-the-cuff - short animation, basic attack
Center Mass - shot with knockdown
body armor - mild S/L resist, KB/Stun resist
Shotgun - cone blast with KB (requires two powers)
Serpentine - Ranged/AoE Def, +Run speed

What about Small Arms Training? Mostly low-cost, light dps quick recharge short-ranged attacks with perhaps an 80-foot "Aimed" shot in there.

Of course I also want  a Heavy Weapons epic for tanks/brutes where they fire shoulder/back mounted missile swarms like Malta/Robotics.

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

• 2 years later

I made a similar suggestion a while back - basically, instead of it being a "Firearms Pool", instead make it a "small arms" or some sort of general security/self defense/survival pool.  Something like:

1. Pistol shot - basic ranged lethal attack dealing minor damage with a fast recharge, possibly with a defense debuff that many gun attacks have.

2. Set snare - a simple power placed down where you are currently standing, which slow enemies that pass over/near it, possibly dealing some minor DoT, (toxic/lethal).

3. Poultice - A simple self HoT ability, (possibly with a minor amount of toxic resistance).

4. Camouflage - Somewhat like the old stealth power - provides a higher degree of stealth than most powers, but imparts a hefty movement penalty.

5. Lay of the land - Provides a minor tohit, recovery, and movement speed buff to you and your teammates while toggled on.

• Like 2

This is all silly. We should take a lesson in combat from a General. General Aarons specifically.

Munitions Pool:

Side Arm: You pull out your gun and hit someone with it.  Melee attack. A little bit more damage than brawl but otherwise identical.

Switch Ammo: Temporarily increases the damage of all your gun attacks by 100%

Pistol Whip: You hit someone even harder with your pistol. Melee attack.

Field Strip: Reduces the cool down of all your gun attacks by 50%, 25% slow/recharge resist

Guns of Fury!: You throw your guns at the enemy. Melee cone with a fifteen foot radius and and 120 degree angle.

• Haha 2

I like the idea of a set of synergy attacks for this, but we probably don't need to make it a direct port of Fighting, unless it becomes mutually-exclusive with Fighting in the same way that origin pools are mutually-exclusive with each other (as in, once you have Experimentation, you can no longer take Sorcery, Willpower, etc.).

Actually, that would probably be my preferred method, now that I think about it. Just a direct port of Fighting, mutually-exclusive with Fighting so you can't have both pools on the same character, and instead of Boxing / Kick / Cross-Punch, it could have Pistols / Dual Wield / Empty Clips, scaled down for the pool power tax. Might have to consider some weirdness on AT's with Shield Defense, locking it out like it locks out two-handed primaries already, and leaving Shield Defense characters with only Fighting, and not Small Arms, as an option.

That would be a way to enable the thematic, without contributing to power creep.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Aida LaCanthe said:

I like the idea of a set of synergy attacks for this, but we probably don't need to make it a direct port of Fighting, unless it becomes mutually-exclusive with Fighting in the same way that origin pools are mutually-exclusive with each other (as in, once you have Experimentation, you can no longer take Sorcery, Willpower, etc.).

Actually, that would probably be my preferred method, now that I think about it. Just a direct port of Fighting, mutually-exclusive with Fighting so you can't have both pools on the same character, and instead of Boxing / Kick / Cross-Punch, it could have Pistols / Dual Wield / Empty Clips, scaled down for the pool power tax. Might have to consider some weirdness on AT's with Shield Defense, locking it out like it locks out two-handed primaries already, and leaving Shield Defense characters with only Fighting, and not Small Arms, as an option.

That would be a way to enable the thematic, without contributing to power creep.

Oooooorrrrrrrrr... instead of dual pistols, just make it a single pistol. Now shield users can use it too.

6 hours ago, Rudra said:

make it a single pistol. Now shield users can use it too.

Do powers have to be coded specially to work with shields?  It always seemed unusual or special how brawl and the origin attacks didn't make you sheath your weapon and had different aniamtions in such cases.  Still, and off-hand/hand without the shield single pistol attack would be awesome!

Not if you want it to look nice. Would you rather your character hold an empty left hand out in the Empty Clips animation with no pistol it it? Or would you rather the single-pistol animation only have one recoil pop and then a cone of bullets originating from two places, neither of which is there the character is actually holding the gun?

How about actually choosing a pistol model for the power? Last I checked, the single-pistol animation comes from the Revolver temporary power, which can't be customized, it's always the old, low-res revolver from 2008.

Edited by Aida LaCanthe

6 hours ago, Aida LaCanthe said:

Not if you want it to look nice. Would you rather your character hold an empty left hand out in the Empty Clips animation with no pistol it it? Or would you rather the single-pistol animation only have one recoil pop and then a cone of bullets originating from two places, neither of which is there the character is actually holding the gun?

An alternative to that would be to fire either an explosive bullet or shotgun shell, which achieves the AOE effect with only a single recoil motion. 

Edited by FupDup

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

9 hours ago, FupDup said:

An alternative to that would be to fire either an explosive bullet or shotgun shell, which achieves the AOE effect with only a single recoil motion. 

You could ape off of the rebounding/chaining mechanic of powers like trick shot from martial assault and just go with that...