Map thumbtacks via slash command

As far as I know, the only way to place a thumbtack on the map is by left clicking, which isn't always accurate. I'd like to suggest (assuming it is feasible) a supplemental means of placing a thumbtack via a slash command. I envision something like this:

/thumbtack X Z Y

This would create a thumbtack at the X Z Y coordinates listed, to include the thumbtack icon on the map, the navigational beacon in the game world, and the navigational icon in the compass (which is consistent with current behavior when left-clicking a thumbtack on the map). Issuing the command a second time would remove the prior thumbtack and place a new thumbtack. Or, the command:

/thumbtack 0

could be used to remove the existing thumbtack.

The command also might be made shorter, such as /ttack or just /tack.

The X Z Y format is the same format that the system uses to report coordinates via the /loc command, so coordinates could be copied from /loc output and pasted into /thumbtack input as a means of quickly communicating locations between players in real time via chat. Another potential use of this command is a set of rolling keybinds that could be used, for example, as a self-guided tour of exploration badges in a zone.

In terms of fitting into the game, thumbtacks already exist, this is just allows them to be placed via different means and with greater accuracy. GPS exists in the game world (I've seen it mentioned in mission dialogue), and I see this as an in-game analogue of entering an address or lon/lat coordinates into a GPS device and then navigating to that exact destination.

I occasionally see requests for a continuously updated display of current coordinates as a navigational aid. I usually suggest the /showfps 3 command in those threads, but I think this /thumbtack command might address that need.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Player2 said:

As someone who has placed a thumbtack from a distance and had the z coordinate way above where I could stand (such as the big crater in the Hollows), I fully support this idea.

Thanks for the input! I was super jumping around Skyway the other night hunting Halloween GMs and occasionally left-clicking thumbtacks to mark the next spot to check, and I noticed similar behavior with the z coordinates.

You might also want to have 'thumbtack' take the same parameters that 'pow_exec_location' does, so you could thumbtack your position with "/thumbtack me" and the like. And have it work the other way, too -- being able to use a command like "powexeclocation tack Rain of Fire".

• Like 2

• 3 months later

This would be a useful tool to have for so many reasons.  Hopefully it will get some dev notice.

• Like 1

• 1 month later

Looks like this has been added as part of the beta build for i27p2! Here's the excerpt from the beta patch notes:

1 hour ago, GM Arcanum said:

Coordinates & /thumbtack

• Added a /thumbtack <x> <y> <z> command to set the thumbtack in the minimap with world coordinates
  • The /loc command now displays the current position as a thumbtack link
  • Writing a location in chat surrounded by square brackets will generate a thumbtack link to that position
    • They will only be considered valid if they consist of exactly three numbers, separated by spaces or commas
  • Added the $loc chat variable which translates to your current coordinates into a clickable thumbtack link
  • The /whereami command will now also display your current position as a thumbtack link

Thank you devs for considering my idea, and expanding upon it in some really wonderful ways. I'm looking forward to testing it out!

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later