"Toxic" Community?.. My thoughts, feel free to add your own!

6 minutes ago, ApatheticWizard said:

No clue where you got 20+ from, but yes it is about 4 people in my entire experience of Everlasting. I had a lot of interaction from two of them due to them having been in SGs I was also in. For one in particular instance, which I won’t name the players involved, whenever group content was done, if the slightest thing did not go their way they flipped out, screeched in team chat that we would fail miserably, quit, continued to send angry tells to the leader for nearly an hour, and then cry at the same time to another member about how unfair the leader is to try to get them to gang up on them. All this over the leader saying “Oh we don’t need a tanker for this we have plenty of support.”

I have long since ignored them on both of my accounts, but I also frequently see them posting about how cruel and mean people are to them on the forums and discord. I’ve joined many supergroups and coalitions that have had similar experiences with this player with similar results.

It was mostly just an observation.  From my experience, between 75% and 90% of people just don't have any fucks to give, so much so that it is likely how they got their "toxic" moniker in the first place.  Because of that, they probably wouldn't put forth the effort to pushback.  Not saying your story isn't genuine, just that some jerks will pester you for a session and you will rarely ever be the target since they're too busy thrusting their bullshit on whoever has their ire at the time.   Most jerks, though, just don't care or can't be bothered.

13 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

It was mostly just an observation.  From my experience, between 75% and 90% of people just don't have any fucks to give, so much so that it is likely how they got their "toxic" moniker in the first place.  Because of that, they probably wouldn't put forth the effort to pushback.  Not saying your story isn't genuine, just that some jerks will pester you for a session and you will rarely ever be the target since they're too busy thrusting their bullshit on whoever has their ire at the time.   Most jerks, though, just don't care or can't be bothered.

That’s fine. Sorry if I sounded aggressive too. I’ve just seen this thread necro’d by the same people multiple times because a few of them have an extreme victim complex and can’t figure out why people dislike their attitude and felt I had to speak my mind and my experiences with them.

I don’t often like posting on the forums primarily due to differing opinions, but I felt this was important.

Edited by ApatheticWizard
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, reib said:

I thought indomi RV was toxic...evidently compared to what happens in pve it's like being in Disneyland. 🤣

Funny how I constantly hear from pvers "i don't pvp on Indomi for toxicity" lol

That's because most PvE'er (I'm a PvE'er now days, but I used to PvP religiously) mistake shit talking for the player being toxic. For somebody who never PvP's they don't understand that it is just smack talk in good fun. To each their own though.

10 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

That's because most PvE'er (I'm a PvE'er now days, but I used to PvP religiously) mistake shit talking for the player being toxic. For somebody who never PvP's they don't understand that it is just smack talk in good fun. To each their own though.

As a weak semi-pvp'er in other games, it does annoy and discourage me a lot of the times...but then I don't go online complaining about people throwing burns my direction.  It's not fun and I'd prefer just pure silence which is why I often either turn off those chat avenues or avoid PvP for a while.  Would I consider such things toxic?  I guess my tolerance is in the moderate category.  Once could almost equate online tolerance to alcohol tolerance.  Not everyone can follow up 6 shots with a full pitcher of ale and still be able to throw punches and further still, some have no taste for even a single sip of wine let alone anything with a hint of a buzz.

And that's not an argument to coddle any one extreme but rather to portray that there are people who partake/enjoy or not, various levels of "toxicity" and we should take that consideration in mind when passing judgements.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ApatheticWizard said:

I’ve just seen this thread necro’d by the same people multiple times because a few of them have an extreme victim complex and can’t figure out why people dislike their attitude and felt I had to speak my mind and my experiences with them.

Some people go in to a thread with a hothead and lash out at people believing they will somehow insult the poster down to submission. After that poster responds unkindly (which is normal human behavior) the person who initiated the flaming likes to play the victim status because they feel that it works as a tactic. I think current society has catered to these personalities over the past 30 years and now they are more prevalent than they were 30 years ago. For an example, the way people act when they get their order wrong from McDonald's. People throwing their food at the employees, cussing out management, being the star of their very own Youtube show and they didn't even know it. This type of behavior was simply unheard of 30 or 40 years ago. There is a psychological reason behind this that I don't really want to get in to right away, but I don't think it's hard to figure out even if you have never studied Social Psychology.  They do it because in their past experience, it has worked for them.

28 minutes ago, ApatheticWizard said:

I don’t often like posting on the forums primarily due to differing opinions, but I felt this was important.

This is why I said earlier that you have to have a thick skin to post forums. I have had SG mates and people on my Global Friends list through random chit chat, come up with an idea and ask me to post the forums about it. Of course I ask them why they don't post it themselves and let them know that I will support their thread (if I think it's a good idea) and they emphatically say no. They are literally repulsed by these forums because their past experience on these forums after posting was very unpleasant for them.

First impressions leave a stain. I on the other hand have had 95% positive experiences on these forums. Most of the interactions with my fellow gamers on this forum has been a positive one. The *only* time I get people who are rather rude is if I post a (knowingly) controversial thread. That is to be expected. However, I have a thick skin and I can handle the negative feedback or backlash that I may receive from it. However, I don't take it personal because if I make a controversial post, I do so ready for it with a thick skin and an open mind to differing opinions. Sometimes players show me the error of my ways because I am open to their opinions....other times I leave the thread with the same opinion going out. It really just depends on how convincing other people's points of view are and if I feel they truly understand my point of view, or if they read my point of view with tunnel vision and did not take in the point of the thread as a whole. Some people will read one sentence and forget the rest of the thread, others read the whole thread, understand where I am coming from and hen respectfully disagree....those are the people who make much stronger arguments because they are actually arguing the entire point of the post rather than a single sentence taken out of context. Those are the type of people who garner my deep respect.

The only posters that I feel are toxic are posters who argue strawman arguments. I absolutely hate strawman argument because they enjoy putting words or intent on to you when you never said any such thing or intended any such thing. However, there are only 2, maaaaaybe 3 people on this entire forum who I have ran in to who does this.

At the end of the day, I want to say 99% of the people who post these forums know how to have a different opinion without being rude or without being passive aggressive about how they express them...and for a forum, those are damn god odds and I love this community and the people in this community for that very reason. I would probably go to a meet and greet and drink a few with 99.5% of the people who post these boards.  🙂

15 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

As a weak semi-pvp'er in other games, it does annoy and discourage me a lot of the times...but then I don't go online complaining about people throwing burns my direction.  It's not fun and I'd prefer just pure silence which is why I often either turn off those chat avenues or avoid PvP for a while.  Would I consider such things toxic?  I guess my tolerance is in the moderate category.  Once could almost equate online tolerance to alcohol tolerance.  Not everyone can follow up 6 shots with a full pitcher of ale and still be able to throw punches and further still, some have no taste for even a single sip of wine let alone anything with a hint of a buzz.

And that's not an argument to coddle any one extreme but rather to portray that there are people who partake/enjoy or not, various levels of "toxicity" and we should take that consideration in mind when passing judgements.

Exactly. I myself was never a smack talker in PvP unless I was PvPing against a friend. For some reason I felt it was okay vs a friend. But in open PvP against people I did not hang out with, I almost always ran silent mode. I could read what they said, but outside of a gf or a hv, I was silent and I never gave much mind to people who might rage at me or any o the smack talk. To engage with it can invite hard feelings and I simply felt it was best to remain a silent runner. And then there were times I just turned off chat all together much like you. It just depended on how I felt that day. So +1 for that.  🙂

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

The biggest difference is that to avoid any toxicity in the pvp zone you just have to use the /ignore command. Fast and easy. The things described in this post can really ruin an entire pve experience...

(And in any case the reality is that in many years of coh I have seen above all sympathy and friendship in pvp zone broadcast chat and the few toxic players put in a corner and blamed by everyone. Even in pve, if i have to be honest, i have never had bad experiences. maybe It depends on the server, in live I was on Defiant and here on Excelsior I have always felt good).

• Like 1

Just now, Solarverse said:

Exactly. I myself was never a smack talker in PvP unless I was PvPing against a friend. For some reason I felt it was okay vs a friend. But in open PvP against people I did not hang out with, I almost always ran silent mode. I could read what they said, but outside of a gf or a hv, I was silent and I never gave much mind to people who might rage at me or any o the smack talk. To engage with it can invite hard feelings and I simply felt it was best to remain a silent runner. And then there were times I just turned off chat all together much like you. It just depended on how I felt that day. So +1 for that.  🙂

I think, in pvp zone, be silent Is Always the best way. If you can help other players too and be friendly it Is Always Better 🙂

• Like 3

On 10/4/2020 at 7:29 PM, Coyotedancer said:

Virtue was indeed... something.... back in the day. If you weren't part of one of the established groups, it could be less than a friendly experience. It was enough to convince me that roleplaying in the City wasn't worth bothering with.

Everlasting is a very different animal. Granted, it's also convinced me that I'm absolutely not suited to City roleplaying, but for completely different reasons. 🤣 (It's just a "not my style" situation here. 'Very much an example case of what I was saying about not every player being suited to every group. )

As someone who, back in the day, had an EU account and an NA account and use to play on Virtue and Union. plus RP'd in WoW. I have this to say, RP groups in general is very cliquey. The thing I found interesting between Union and Virtue was that Virtue had 'group canon' that whatever was happening to that group was what was going on and any other groups largely did not interfere with it, which leads to a conflict if there is cross group roleplay, after all whose group canon is the correct canon? On Union, because of the smaller playerbase, you had 'server canon'. That was things that were firmly established on the server and generally recognized by everyone.

For example Dr Mechano opened a business selling walky talky toasters (for toast on the go!)...they begun cropping up in other peoples fiction and it slowly became server canon that it was his ONE successful business venture transitioning him into less a 'invent it in a shed' mad scientist to 'actually owning a factory in Sharkshead' and that was accepted by the people on the server.

However the problem arose on Union if you tried to go against server canon and do something the majority had not agreed on, it largely got retconned and could lead to people feeling disillusioned etc. ]

With Argent Dawn EU, if you weren't part of one of the 'big guilds' then you largely didn't matter, it also meant that if you tried to form your own guild, people wouldn't be interested because they'd want to be part of the big guilds in order to maybe get a place in server canon (like the war between Forsaken and Stormwind which raged on that server...which was annoying because the horde side were all RP-PvP guilds whilst 95% of the Alliance guilds were all RP-PvE guilds and very few characters were running top of the line gear. My Fury warrior was one of the exceptions because I PuG'd Heroic raids which meant I could stand toe to toe with PvPers for the most part, yes humble brag I know).

On 5/29/2019 at 12:30 PM, PseudoCool said:

Hey Everyone,

So, again, Massively Overpowered has posted yet another article about how OUR community has been plagued with actions from players, either against other players, or the DEV team, or even the servers themselves.  I almost exclusively play on Homecoming ( I have at least a presence on every shard), and I'm wondering if anyone's seen this sort of "toxic behavior" that we all keep hearing about?

So, I guess my question is.. is MO really over-stating something to draw hits to it's site, or am I just obliviously happily not on when the snerts arrive?

Let me know your thoughts, in between killing skul's that is 🙂

PseudoCool

I definitely notice it when suggesting something some people don't like, but just on the fourms; in game things are normally very cordial.

Edited by Hero_of_Light
  • Like 1

I will say we got in to a discussion on Sentinels on Everlasting with various people chiming in and it never really got hostile. Most people understand where others were coming from (why Assault Rifle/Invuln sentinels make just the WORST first impression because Assault Rifle is F tier bad on Sentinels with only Sonic below it), why Sentinels are in a kind of funky spot right now (they don't really do anything better than any other AT, IMO they're balanced so well that they're bland...especially in a game with extremes outshining them AND being able to be survivable enough that secondaries aren't an major benefit).

Heck me saying that "Sentinels are in need of a major rework and probably a niche to fill" is bound to get people riled up but...most people just shrugged and went "eh yeah, if you're looking for top end builds, 90% of the time if you're just on a regular TF run, it's not going to matter."

7 minutes ago, Krimson said:

Yeah when the party is faceplanted and your Sentinel is still clearing the room, I sometimes hear one of the corpses of my fallen comrades calling from the dead, "Sentinels suck!"

And then you shiver because you know it's true but that means everyone who's dead sucks too.

[EDIT] Note: I have literally 0 sentinels so I'm not speaking from experience.

Edited by Leogunner

Just now, Krimson said:

Yeah when the party is faceplanted and your Sentinel is still clearing the room, I sometimes hear one of the corpses of my fallen comrades calling from the dead, "Sentinels suck!"

AH I knew saying anything about sentinels would get attention :D.

But yeah my opinion and the opinion of most in the discussion was that Sentinels don't suck...they're perfectly well balanced...a little TOO well balanced (I get the feeling the HC devs erred on the side of caution when making them), the Target caps, the shorter range, the lower damage, it's not really a good enough trade off for the secondary armour effects in my opinion. However, it's just that, my opinion and people are free to disagree with it and, like I said, 90% of the time it's REALLY not going to matter, it's only when you're going for speed taskforces and the like are people ever going to care about optimal and not just invite whatever or whoever comes first.

• Lead Game Master

I see this thread has been necro'd somewhat. I don't really see any new views or opinions coming in here folks. I'll leave it be for now but I suspect this may have run its course (or be close to having done so). Thanks all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

GM ColdSpark

Lead Game Master

Ways to Contact Me: Here is the link to the Homecoming Discord  and I am GM ColdSpark

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

On 11/6/2020 at 4:44 PM, Snarky said:

If you cant drive 5 mph over the speed limit stay out of the fast lane.

There is no actual "fast lane".  On a 4 lane divided highway the left lane is used to travel at the speed limit as well. 

13 minutes ago, Sakai said:

There is no actual "fast lane".  

Are you sure about that?

In my 16 years of driving, I have encountered plenty of driving indications imploring drivers to keep out of the "passing lane".  To pass traffic, there has to be someone moving relatively slower and someone moving relatively faster.  To argue there is no fast lane is arguing you are only allowed to drive the speed limit and not under while also disregarding common nomenclature since I'm certain many have heard of a "fast lane" but no one is going to indicate there is a "slow lane".

5 hours ago, Solarverse said:

This should help you understand.

One of the reasons I've always called it the "passing lane" and not the "fast lane" was because of this. I'm not even in a state that cares all that much about highway etiquette, but I never stay in the far lane unless I'm going around multiple people. Too many people use that lane for blatant speeding for me to want to be tailgated even if I'm already going over the limit myself.

• Like 3

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.