"Toxic" Community?.. My thoughts, feel free to add your own!

1 hour ago, Nuke Leah said:

Safer to stick to general chat in game most of the time.

I've found the best part about General is I can simply remove it from my chat tabs because 99% of the time there's nothing worthwhile being said.

• Thanks 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

On 11/7/2020 at 12:20 AM, Nuke Leah said:

Safer to stick to general chat in game most of the time.

For the first time ever I had to remove a chat channel from my chat box. Last night General descended into politics. I'm sure people can guess why.

I fired up CoH, with the wifelet for the first time in months, as we wanted to get away from the news. And there it was, still being discussed and argued about. 

So there we have it, remove a channel, block people, even change server if you must. The tools are there to remove "toxic" from your life.

Edited by Lunchmoney

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

There are a select few people who I consider toxic. Toxic to some is not exactly toxic to others though. Toxic in game is anyone who deliberately goes out of their way to cause grief to other players or gets on chat and just says one rude thing after the next.

Toxic on the forums to me is anyone who continues to argue strawman arguments even though you have clearly corrected them time and again that you did not say what they continue to argue against. I see this mostly on General Forums and Suggestion Forums and I personally find those type of posters to be toxic. However, not everyone sees them as toxic, some may see them as a minor annoyance at best because they are more worried about winning the argument than they are with recognizing what they thought was implied was wrong. Some people just can't seem to be able to admit that they are wrong so they continue to argue strawman tactics. They are too worried about their self image I suppose...on a forum no less.

As far as downright rude posters, I have honestly only seen one or two come and go, but they don't seem to last very long. The ones I do find outright rude find my ignore list, most usually after I make a few attempts to bring things back to a place of understanding and after they have shown me that they are just hell bent on being a problem. They usually make claims that they are being picked on even though they are the ones who instigated the rude behavior. They usually don't last long and leave pouting. Sometimes they come back to try again, but it's not long before they leave again for the same reason. Meanwhile, us long time and more regular posters tend to get along just fine for the most part....except for those occasions when I decide to bring up a heated topic...in which point I brace myself and get ready for the firing squad, lol. But at the end of the day, for the most part, this is a great community, helpful, kind and I consider this community to be second only to no one.

Can people in this community be toxic? Sure, in fact I have several friends in game who ask me from time to time to post something on their behalf. When I ask them why don't they post it themselves and inform them that I will even support their idea or statement, they don't want any part of these forums. Their reasoning is usually because forum posters have a tendency to be pretty hard on people who have different opinions than they do. So yeah, I think you have to have a bit of a thick skin to post, especially if you are posting something that most do not agree with. However, out of all the forums I have ever posted...which were a lot...these forums have the most laid back people of all of them. So yes, forum posters can be rough sometimes, but if somebody can't handle this community and feels they are toxic, then they had better stay clear of other gaming communities...it won't be a pleasant experience.

I would also like to include LotR Online players...those players were actually quite nice as well and very helpful, but not quite as much as this one.

Edited by Solarverse

My issue is not -just- with Everlasting TFs. my issue is with a significant portion of the community who do not know when to stop harrassing becuase they find someone different from them.

There are a lot of good people on Everlasting, and on COH Homecoming I wont deny. the problem is there are also a lot of bad, and a community too small for me to truly escape them.

• Like 1

Beep beep I'm a sheep.

EDIT: To contribute and not be a shitpost, any server has its shitheads. Any community does. It's the nature of the internet. However, Everlasting has been amazing - I must reiterate this ten thousand times.

Edited by Shadeknight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

I thought indomi RV was toxic...evidently compared to what happens in pve it's like being in Disneyland. 🤣

Funny how I constantly hear from pvers "i don't pvp on Indomi for toxicity" lol

Edited by reib

52 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

If you go looking for toxicity, that's all you'll ever find.

This is generally my view as well and I posted something similar back before this thread got necro'd. When someone posting about how all they experience is "toxic behavior" and are actively telling others to not join the community because of it while practically everyone else has no idea what they're talking about, I'm inclined to believe that the person in question is themself entering conversations/situations in a manner that gets people riled up. Usually this starts as backhanded/offhand comments directed at no one in particular when trying to get involved in a group or conversation. When you start on that foot, don't be surprised when everyone else follows it up with their own.

• Like 6

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

Toxic people? Sure, there are toxic people who play on Homecoming. Just like how there are toxic people in virtually any type of community, not just online.

Toxic community? No. Sure, we have our spats on the forum. Sure, General does get heated. But these outbursts are like mere toddler tantrums compared to other online communities out there, particularly competitive games.

• Like 6

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

1 hour ago, Shadeknight said:

Some people just want to play victim, I imagine.

Or they refuse to believe they can do wrong.

Perfect angel or something of the sort.

As a self-proclaimed toxic forum poster, sometimes it's just entertaining to point out contradictions and hypocrisy.

Of course, most will refuse to admit they could ever commit such an action which is, in and of itself a contradiction.

• Like 1

While I won't discount the reality of some people who are out looking for fights, or that on-the-whole the greater community of City of Heroes players/fan can be very positive and helpful, I also think it's worthwhile for all of us to doubt.

Doubt is healthy.  Asking questions, particularly of ourselves, can be incredibly helpful to ensuring what we believe is truly valid.

If there are some people who find our community to be unpleasant or even toxic, I think there's merit in examining their opinions.  Granted, it helps if they can express those opinions in ways which don't immediately feel like they're attacks, but I understand that can be very difficult when they felt attacked in the first place.

None of us are perfect, after all.  Some self reflection could be good for the soul.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

If there are some people who find our community to be unpleasant or even toxic, I think there's merit in examining their opinions.  Granted, it helps if they can express those opinions in ways which don't immediately feel like they're attacks, but I understand that can be very difficult when they felt attacked in the first place.

None of us are perfect, after all.  Some self reflection could be good for the soul.

While I understand that, the issue is that I gave a few of these people the benefit of the doubt half a dozen times each. They cried crocodile tears each and every time and continued their behavior sometimes minutes afterwards of getting pushback. Then again and again months, now nearly two years later they’ve still failed to reflect on themselves.

Edited by ApatheticWizard
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ApatheticWizard said:

While I understand that, the issue is that I gave a few of these people the benefit of the doubt half a dozen times each. They cried crocodile tears each and every time and continued their behavior sometimes minutes afterwards of getting pushback. Then again and again months, now nearly two years they’ve still failed to reflect on themselves.

That sounds like less than a handful of people.  I refuse to believe you're doing this for 20+ people over and over getting the same results for each of them unless they are creating alt accounts to interact with you which might mean there is someone(s) specifically targeting you which might be quite dangerous.

Well, there is at least one person on Everlasting who makes tonnes of new accounts . . . they've admitted to me that each of their alts get a new account, since they want their Global to match their character name.

As someone with 8 accounts, I kind of feel that they're being excessive . . . but who am I to judge?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

Well, there is at least one person on Everlasting who makes tonnes of new accounts . . . they've admitted to me that each of their alts get a new account, since they want their Global to match their character name.

As someone with 8 accounts, I kind of feel that they're being excessive . . . but who am I to judge?

Name hoarder! 😋

9 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

That sounds like less than a handful of people.  I refuse to believe you're doing this for 20+ people over and over getting the same results for each of them unless they are creating alt accounts to interact with you which might mean there is someone(s) specifically targeting you which might be quite dangerous.

No clue where you got 20+ from, but yes it is about 4 people in my entire experience of Everlasting. I had a lot of interaction from two of them due to them having been in SGs I was also in. For one in particular instance, which I won’t name the players involved, whenever group content was done, if the slightest thing did not go their way they flipped out, screeched in team chat that we would fail miserably, quit, continued to send angry tells to the leader for nearly an hour, and then cry at the same time to another member about how unfair the leader is to try to get them to gang up on them. All this over the leader saying “Oh we don’t need a tanker for this we have plenty of support.”

I have long since ignored them on both of my accounts, but I also frequently see them posting about how cruel and mean people are to them on the forums and discord. I’ve joined many supergroups and coalitions that have had similar experiences with this player with similar results.

Edited by ApatheticWizard