New Powersets?

Det1994

Powersets generally need balancing and animation/effects work. Some can borrow from other sets, sure, but ... unless it was close to being finished and had assets in place, or that can be borrowed from elsewhere? I wouldn't expect to see them for quite a while.

And before it's said, yes, I know other servers have done XYZ... often without said work. I rather prefer the attempt at proper testing and quality goals here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/14/2021 at 7:07 AM, Det1994 said:

When do you guys think we will see new powersets? What kinds would you like? 

Need me something that can control a large area, say, the entire village of Salamanca in Croatoa, and bend everyone to my will doing ridiculous stuff like making period piece comedy TV shows.  Higher level powers should allow me to expand my area of control, and convert any Longbow nearby into Carnies.   Since this would be a control set, I'd like pets similar to the Illusion power:  summon a sidekick phantom from my character's past, and two lesser constructs with powers of their own.

Please and thank you.

Edited by Techwright
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Need me something that can control a large area, say, the entire village of Salamanca in Croatoa, and bend everyone to my will doing ridiculous stuff like making period TV show.  Higher level powers should allow me to expand my area of control, and convert any Longbow nearby into Carnies.   Since this would be a control set, I'd like pets similar to the Illusion power:  summon a sidekick phantom from my character's past, and two lesser constructs with powers of their own.

Please and thank you.

Too much wandavision for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Probably half the players have some niche comix powerset they hunger for. But besides all the above comments about keeping it balanced, with good animations, fully tested, etc. ... City has a metric buttload of powersets and combinations. If there isn't some AT/primary/secondary/build/buff combo that intrigues you, another powerset probably isn't the solution.

I'd hope the devs concentrate on broader, more important upgrades than adding new skins to the old power set numbers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

2 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I'd hope the devs concentrate on broader, more important upgrades than adding new skins to the old power set numbers.

Like wrist cannons for blast sets!  

Or hockey sticks for staff fighting!

Or giving "Kick" from Fighting power pool a Storm Kick animation!

The Really Important Stuff 😁

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MTeague said:

... you know, I had (have, remade her here) a character who's *just* the right size that almost every time she uses Kick, it looks like it connected somewhere particularly painful.

Which *really* fit the character...

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2021 at 3:11 PM, BrandX said:

We've had a few.  Eco Recycle thread has a few I'd love to see implemented. 

Yep!

You can find the various contributions here;

Most of this is just theorycrafting what could be possible, and what people might like to see in the future.

• Like 1

• 3 years later
On 3/15/2021 at 12:00 PM, Greycat said:

... you know, I had (have, remade her here) a character who's *just* the right size that almost every time she uses Kick, it looks like it connected somewhere particularly painful.

Which *really* fit the character...

Why not

Vetali_fightsdirty_web.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greycat said:

Well, THAT was worth necroing a several year old thread for.

Not clear if you've had too much coffee or not enough.  Are you getting enough protein?  🤨  Might have to start calling you Grouchycat. 😉

j/k

On 3/15/2021 at 2:53 PM, MTeague said:

Like wrist cannons for blast sets!  

Or hockey sticks for staff fighting!

The Really Important Stuff 😁

I've felt for a while that CoH might be able to pull off a Sportsmaster/Casey Jones powerset or even dual powerset.  Not sure what archetype, but probably should be a mix of ranged (javelin, lawn darts, disks, shotput, etc.) and melee (your suggestion of hockey sticks, boxing, etc.).

On 3/14/2021 at 6:07 AM, Det1994 said:

Frankly, I don't want to see ANY new powersets until we have a lot more incarnate content (not to be confused with Advanced mode TFs), and a lot more level 1-20 content for both red and blue. 

Reason being - what good does a new set do if you can't do something new with it? Just my opinion, and nobody is obligated to agree or disagree. 

• Like 2
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

On 3/14/2021 at 4:07 AM, Det1994 said:

There will never be new powersets.  I have been to the future and seen.  Give up all hope.  Life is not worth living.  Donate all your blood now. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I still haven’t played all the current ones. Or not to 50, at least. And I’m very unlikely to ever try a Kheldian or Widow again. What I WOULD like is the ability to purchase some of the temps you get in bank side mishes, like Confiscated Bean Bag or wave scrambler.

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

• Game Master
On 3/14/2021 at 3:24 PM, Techwright said:

Need me something that can control a large area, say, the entire village of Salamanca in Croatoa, and bend everyone to my will doing ridiculous stuff like making period piece comedy TV shows.  Higher level powers should allow me to expand my area of control, and convert any Longbow nearby into Carnies.   Since this would be a control set, I'd like pets similar to the Illusion power:  summon a sidekick phantom from my character's past, and two lesser constructs with powers of their own.

Please and thank you.

It was Agatha all along

• Haha 1

• Game Master
1 hour ago, Snarky said:

There will never be new powersets.  I have been to the future and seen.  Give up all hope.  Life is not worth living.  Donate all your blood now. 

The last time I had to give a blood test it was like treacle and they barely got half a test tube full. apparently I suffer from dehydration. So you are welcome to what I have, but you'll need a fork.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

The last time I had to give a blood test it was like treacle and they barely got half a test tube full. apparently I suffer from dehydration. So you are welcome to what I have, but you'll need a fork.

you heard Crumpet!  it's mine! everyone back!

• Haha 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

6 hours ago, cranebump said:

I still haven’t played all the current ones. Or not to 50, at least. And I’m very unlikely to ever try a Kheldian or Widow again. What I WOULD like is the ability to purchase some of the temps you get in bank side mishes, like Confiscated Bean Bag or wave scrambler.

there are a ton of oddball temps available in game.  i think (have not tested) a good number are "repeatable" once you blow through the charges.  some definitely are.  i find ALL of them near useless compared to regular powers, unless i am running `5 or less content through ouro or in a Posi 1/2

11 hours ago, Ukase said:

Reason being - what good does a new set do if you can't do something new with it? Just my opinion, and nobody is obligated to agree or disagree.

You might not *want* an answer to this, but frankly it needs one. Just off the top of my head -

What good a new set does:

- Allows people to come up with (or better express) character concepts.

For instance, my first character was a fire/SS tank back in i3, because that was "the closest" to the character I wanted to make, one I was importing from a tabletop game. But it didn't fit *well.* Then we got COV and I could make a SS/Dark Armor Brute, which was a lot closer - but redside, and still didn't fit. Then tanks got DA, and I had the closest fit yet... but it still isn't right. If we came up with a toxic/acidic armor set, it'd be almost perfect. So... new set would help there.

- Provides a different play experience.

Even on the same AT, different sets play differently and have different strengths and weaknesses, and pair with the primary/secondary differently. Fire/sonic controllers play differently than fire/kinetics, and are strong or weak vs. different groups. And that's before getting into different IO set possibilities and what *those* can do.

So... yeah, by default a new set *does* let you do "something new." It might not be the new you want, but it is for a lot of other people.  (And frankly, a new set gets a *lot* more mileage than new incarnate content... after all, there's a whole game from 1-50, too.) I'm not *against* new content, Incarnate or otherwise, but "what good is a new set" is just ... kind of short sighted.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Greycat said:

"what good is a new set" is just ... kind of short sighted.

I never claimed 20-20 vision. I did expect many to disagree. But - as you said, there's life between 1-50 (non-incarnate). I specifically mentioned levels 1-20 for that reason. 

As for character concepts, if this is your thing, go for it. The closest thing I get to concept is spending 250 prismatics to make Mammoth Man as small as I can. And writing stale jokes in a macro. 

And since someone reading is curious: 

Situation: leveled
"Oh, you really got to hand it to me. I mean, you really got to hand it to me. I can't reach."
Situation: someone tries to be funny
"Your jokes are going over my head."

• Thumbs Up 1