Teleport Bug?

Arnabas

My son had the same problem post-patch this afternoon.  We solved it by having him log out completely of the game and log back in.  It cleared up after that.  Of note: it only happened AFTER he selected Teleport as a new power while leveling up post-patch.  Characters with an existing teleport power that we tried did not have this issue.

• Like 1

• Lead Game Master

We're currently tracking this issue. It seems to be related to what you're targeting (specifically something you can't hit, like a civilian or an out-of-range teammate) but we're not 100% sure. Any information that anyone can provide would be greatly beneficial in tracking down and squashing this bug!

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

Interesting. The character I tried it with had the power pre-patch. I played earlier today (not with this character) and logged out completely, only returning this evening, when I experienced the issue.  I was thinking I might need to respec.

It seems to be related to what you're targeting (specifically something you can't hit, like a civilian or an out-of-range teammate) 

It's the self-teleport, so I am targeting a location.

Edited by Arnabas

I've had it happen a whole bunch of times tonight. Trying to pin it down to a cause, but the only way I can release myself from the bug situation is to just drop to the ground and run for a while. Then I can usually teleport thereafter. Hope that helps as a clue.

Untarget any non-combat NPCs, like contacts, civilians or glowies. Clearing your target (usually the "escape" key) should work. After you do that, you should be able to teleport. Zoning also works, as does logging out and logging in*, but this should not be necessary. "Running around" seems to work because it usually takes you out of range for your current target.

* Zoning is basically identical to logging out and back in, except you log back in to a new different mapserver on a different map.

Edited by UberGuy

• City Council
1 hour ago, GM Impervium said:

but we're not 100% sure.

We are actually 100% sure and the root cause was identified earlier today. The fix will be in a future patch, but for now the workaround is to switch targets to a critter (something other than a non-combat NPC) and/or press escape to untarget everything.

After you successfully teleport once you’re fine to target anything and it will continue working.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Arnabas said:

I don't know if this is a known issue, or if it's somehow just me, but when I use Teleport, my character goes through the animation, only to drop back to the ground without moving so much as an inch. 

Welp.. they almost had me try teleport.

15 hours ago, UberGuy said:

Or you could read that (a) there's an extremely simple workaround and (b) a fix is inbound to boot.

Isn't this what beta was for? Seems like these changes were rushed. I would like to use stronger language but don't want to get moderated.

Most characters have a travel power. Extra scrutiny and going slow.. hindsight.

I wouldn't call over 3 months of work "rushed". However, since teleport didn't receive any major changes (just a buff to range and activation), it wasn't tested as thoroughly. Just "does this work? Yes? Ok, next thing!"

Most people don't target "non combat NPCs" when teleporting, so of course this slipped under the radar until it was put into the hands of people who do goofy things like that!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Taboo said:

Isn't this what beta was for? Seems like these changes were rushed. I would like to use stronger language but don't want to get moderated.

Most characters have a travel power. Extra scrutiny and going slow.. hindsight.

Rather than berating others for lack of foresight, perhaps you should ask more players come join the testing. And join them.

This is a bug that only appears in very specific circumstances - teleportation with a non-combat NPC targeted. That's something that people popping into Ouro to test teleporting around could easily miss. How likely was it that someone combine testing teleport with having clicked on a contact or open world civilian?

As a reminder, this is a free game provided by volunteer effort, by people working on spaghetti code they didn't originally write without any documentation they didn't create themselves. There are only a handful of people working on code and powers (like ... maybe five?). They can't do that and test everything extensively while they have day jobs, families and other stuff in their lives. That's why there's a test server and a beta period. We have no choice but to test by throwing bodies at it - player bodies, because there aren't enough devs and no other QA department.

So, in summary, be less of a dick about something you get for free from other people's labor.

Edited by UberGuy
Typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, EmperorSteele said:

I wouldn't call over 3 months of work "rushed".

many bugs pushed to production = rushed

sure there are lots of changes and maybe it is a numbers thing. travel powers though..

Happens a lot at random times. No known trigger I know of. I assume it's lag.

I thought warshade shadow step was legitimately broken when I first logged in after the patch because I could not teleport for a solid three minutes. It worked fine after that, location was the Grandville plaza.

• Like 1

• City Council
6 hours ago, UberGuy said:

This is a bug that only appears in very specific circumstances - teleportation with a non-combat NPC targeted.

* teleporting with a non-combat NPC targeted if and only if it’s the first time you’ve teleported after doing something that syncs the character with the DB (zoning, starting a TF, joining a team, and a few other miscellaneous things).

Can legitimately blame Paragon for this one since it’s a very old bug in a feature they added, but up until this point nobody had made a power that uses it in quite this way.

• Like 2

• Developer
8 hours ago, Taboo said:

many bugs pushed to production = rushed

sure there are lots of changes and maybe it is a numbers thing. travel powers though..

If a bug makes it live its because no one knew it was there. After every patch we go into crunch mode to fix all the bugs that get caught because people have no option but to bump into them.

I'll take this chance to repeat something I have said before:

People often ask what they can do to help the test, and I usually say the same thing: the thing we need the most are testers. Any game dev studio has a team of internal testers that do nothing but test things all day long. Its very common for such teams to outnumber the developers by a large number, and bugs still sometime sneak by them.

As volunteers, we cant really pay a team of testers to work on testing 40 hours a week, so we rely on fellow volunteers to just go into the testing servers and test things. So, again: anyone that wants to help make the game better, spend as much time as you can, playing as much as possible on beta releases in the Brainstorm server is the best way to help. The more hands-on testing we get, the less likely it is for bugs to sneak through.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

image.thumb.png.07fe64b26308cd3c157b58cc695449de.png

1 hour ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

If a bug makes it live its because no one knew it was there. After every patch we go into crunch mode to fix all the bugs that get caught because people have no option but to bump into them.

Don't take what I said as bagging on the work that was done. There was a big list of accomplishments.

My comment was in regards to hurrying / schedule on travel powers which impact every character.

It is a numbers thing: There's going to be bugs/issues. The more changes the more chances.

Regarding testing & Beta, tried it and was more grief than it was worth. Between know-it-alls and coolaid drinkers, it's a terrible experience.

13 minutes ago, Taboo said:

Regarding testing & Beta, tried it and was more grief than it was worth. Between know-it-alls and coolaid drinkers, it's a terrible experience.

Why does what other people are doing or thinking matter for bug testing?

You can literally ignore that other people exist. Look for something that needs testing (lists are posted in Discord) or go test something you know you care about. Try it, see what happens, post results.

Actual bug testing should not a subjective experience.

Balance testing is something else, and pretty inevitably involves debate.

Edited by UberGuy
Typo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, UberGuy said:

Why does what other people are doing or thinking matter for bug testing?

Folks attempt to stomp on reports of issues or potential issues. Spending time to try stuff out and put words down only to have it deleted / moderated or find out "it's been decided" is very poor.

There's always some yahoo saying "this is prefect, push it to production today" who proceeds to then argue with anyone who is not in agreement.

There are some who do excellent for the community @Myrmidon @Galaxy Brain @Bopper and others. There is an equal number of the opposite. I'll leave it there.

Edited by Taboo

The teleport bug has been there for a while .... NOW that someone mentioned it, I remember it going back a fair ways ... I just thought it was my macros, binds, random maps, or related to the known powexeclocation bugs  ... and since it always happened in neck deep in combat, I never investigated it, just shrugged it off and kept on fighting.

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.