Grandmaster of TF Badges

Hey heroes, vigilantes, rogues, and villains!  So y'all know how there's an "Achievement" badge for Mastery, for no deaths on the team and no temp powers, yes?   But if you didn't know, that doesn't take into account for the level.  But that means,  you can run it at +0/x1 (enemies at your level and # of enemies for 1 player), instead of +4/x8 (enemies +4 levels above the mission normally, with enough enemies for a full team of 8); and still get the "Mastery".  Kind of cheesy, but it counts the same.

The suggestion is leave any existing "Master of..." badges, but add a NEW set of achievement badges for "Grandmaster of..." that you only get for running the mission in +4/x8 with NO deaths and NO temp powers.

That way it's an actually ACHIEVEMENT that you can do with your friends.  It's very do-able, especially with incarnates, but even then it's no guarantee as one slip up in teamwork can result in a death.  It happens, no worries, but it's actually a real achievement to pull it off as a group.

Edited by agentx5
there is no -1/x1 on TFs apparently... my bad
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, tan702 said:

Love it. Just more reasons to invest more time into the game. How about taking it even further and adding "Challenger of ..." badges for those who are able to SOLO a +4/x8 TF? 

All badges are intended to be obtainable by every AT and power combo,  and its just not going to ever be intended that everyone 'could' complete each TF at +4x8.  Perhaps some other increased rewards but not a badge.

I am on board with the grandmaster idea though.

Well, TBF, -1 doesn't work on TFs (though 0 is effectively that if you have a rare Alpha slot), and some AVs spawn at a certain level no matter what (Freedom Phalanx are 53, LR and his Lieutenants are 54; most other AVs in those TFs are around level 52 minimum i think?). Other than that, a reward for running these at higher difficulties would be nice 😃

I've always hated the qualifications for the "master of" TF badges anyway.  Rather than just expand them in this fashion, I'd rather see any new or revamped approaches to them (or similar) work more like Apex/Tin Mage/Incarnate Trials, and reward "Master of" badges based on going above and beyond in terms of achieving the goals of the missions.

• Like 1

I'm done for more badges and challenges to spice things up for sure.

On 5/10/2021 at 4:53 PM, TheZag said:

All badges are intended to be obtainable by every AT and power combo,  and its just not going to ever be intended that everyone 'could' complete each TF at +4x8.  Perhaps some other increased rewards but not a badge.

Technically, this 'Grandmaster of...' badge idea doesn't preclude anyone from being able to obtain any of them.  It's just extra hard to do so.  It's not really any different then some of the harder badges to get in iTrials and such.  'Really Hard Way' comes to mind or some of the Keyes Badges.  Or the Damage badges on a non-damage AT, etc.

• Community Rep

I love this idea. And I do not see how it would be any more unobtainable than many other of the more difficult badges to obtain. After all, you just need to join a team that does it. I predict that there will be leaders who step forward and are able to do it efficiently. Do not forget, when the "Master of" badges were first introduced, there were no incarnates, no IO set bonuses, and if memory serves, they are also older than the notoriety system lowering difficulty. They have gotten to be extremely easy, given all of the incarnate powers and the lowered difficulty option, they've really become meaningless. I remember working very hard with my team (we always ran at 4x8, and that was before the IO system was a thing) to earn those badges, and we were so proud when we did. I believe a "Grand Master of" badge would restore the honor and weight the original used to carry.

-Dacy

• Like 3

Im down for something like this. I think the game is ment to be run at x8+4 and think the fact badges can be achieved without hurts the game

I would also be interested in a solo badge, it would be a fun challange to have a char and have to rebuild / respec him in order to be able to solo something to get a badge, 

Edited by chewychunga

To be clear, before this gets derailed, this topic is simply suggesting adding a "Grandmaster of _____" all TF/SF badges currently with a "Master of _____".  Not the solo-ing option. Not removing Mastery Badges, just taking level difficulty into account.

Mastery  = no deaths, no temps, any difficulty

Grandmastery = no deaths, no temps, on +4/x8 difficulty

Seeing as we essentially just did a "Grandmastery" on Lady Gray TF tonight (and that's one of the rough ones).  Definitely requires some team coordination, rather than just LEEEEEEEEEROY JENKINS as the only tactic.  Fun as that is, it's not really an "achievement" per se.  I think @Dacy said it best so far:

6 hours ago, Dacy said:

I love this idea. And I do not see how it would be any more unobtainable than many other of the more difficult badges to obtain. After all, you just need to join a team that does it. I predict that there will be leaders who step forward and are able to do it efficiently. Do not forget, when the "Master of" badges were first introduced, there were no incarnates, no IO set bonuses, and if memory serves, they are also older than the notoriety system lowering difficulty. They have gotten to be extremely easy, given all of the incarnate powers and the lowered difficulty option, they've really become meaningless. I remember working very hard with my team (we always ran at 4x8, and that was before the IO system was a thing) to earn those badges, and we were so proud when we did. I believe a "Grand Master of" badge would restore the honor and weight the original used to carry.