Is Radiation dead?

Xandyr

With the way teams stesmroll most everything,  it makes me wonder...is Rad dead? On Live, Radiation Emission was soooo welcomed and loved. Nowadays, it seems like Noone goes with Rad bc of the fast pace, and by the time your debuffs are thrown out most everything is already dead.

I was toying with the idea of having the absolute most debuffs (Necro/Rad?) but now I'm unsure. What have you all seen/experienced?

Radiation debuff radiussesses were too small for me, and the big -tohit was too long of a cast time for general purpose stuff

since +rech does not effect pets made AM less useful.  my ninja/rad was remade into a ninja/dark and necro/rad into a necro/thermal

• Like 1

I have a Necro/Rad that's 50/trickedout/t4d/yadda yadda.  I quite liked it and it met my expectations for a "good" MM.

Yes it's true RI is long casting so I wouldn't always use it especially on fast teams but EF (-res and -dmg) is always helpful and has a 1.5 second cast so I'd always use it.

AM has multiple attributes that do affect the pets (+dmg, recovery, mez resists, run speed) and the +rch does help you so this is still a very very good power.

But you're not asking "is it viable?" or even good.  You want "absolute most debuffs" and this ain't it.  I'm not going to get into "absolute most" but I would look more toward Cold, Traps, Dark, Poison and now these days TA.

15 hours ago, kelika2 said:

Radiation debuff radiussesses were too small for me,

Big part of it for me.  Even taking out the long animation time for RI, the radiation debuff toggles radius are so tiny (15').  I always end up comparing it unfavorably to darkest night which is a nice 25'.

It's still a nice set, but I always felt it best on a controller where you can better "control" things and make easier use of those tiny radius powers that are such a big part of the set.  

The main reason I love radiation is Choking Cloud with a Hold proc IO 🙂  One of my all time favorite powers! I wish something else was similar with any other secondary.  It is an always on toggle and I love it.  I still rarely pick radiation anymore though so that sucks 😞

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Schiz0 said:

The main reason I love radiation is Choking Cloud with a Hold proc IO 🙂  One of my all time favorite powers! I wish something else was similar with any other secondary.  It is an always on toggle and I love it.  I still rarely pick radiation anymore though so that sucks 😞

Is it not similar to Entangling Aura in Nature?

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

10 minutes ago, Schiz0 said:

I have honestly never played nature.  I will look now! TYVM 🙂

I don't really play Rad much because I hate the long feeling cast times and feeling like I'm not useful, so I wasn't sure if Entangling Aura and Choking Cloud are the same, but I think they're at least similar. PBAoE toggle that has a chance to hold enemies that are in it.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

On 5/12/2021 at 6:25 AM, Hedgefund said:

You want "absolute most debuffs" and this ain't it.  I'm not going to get into "absolute most" but I would look more toward Cold, Traps, Dark, Poison and now these days TA.

Hmm...necro/cold...

I already have Necro/Thermal.  Maybe I need to revisit it

Personally I wish there was a way to see enemy stats as they are debuffed. I tend to prefer buffs over debuffs simply because I have no way to gauge how effective or good I am doing, or what all stacks or doesn't. It all just seems like guesswork to me. If we cant see enemy values some debuff icons would be nice, just so we can see what stuck and what didn't or got resisted.

Another thing is the whole mag mechanic seems needlessly complicated to me, with it being "all or none" in some instances. If you want to be a debuffer, then you more or less have to build for it. While with buffs you don't have to focus on those specifically, and can still heal/buff/etc and still put out decent damage, without having to fret over mag's, resists, if something landed or not, and so on.

TLDR: I am no expert by any means, but I have no way to tell how effective my debuffing really is. While with buffs I can look at my own/my pets sheets and see where I am sitting with defense/resists/damage/yadda yadda. No such option to view debuffed npcs, or at least I am unaware of one.

Rad is never going to be dead. It still just has too much good stuff in it. It is, however, a bit awkward to use- And always has been.

I think one problem here is that Rad on Masterminds is harder to synergize. There's really not much that can be done about that, though. Controllers are sorta just the best AT to put it on. Debuffs and lockdown are two things Rad does well, and Controllers are the premier debuffs and lockdown AT.

I do agree cast times on toggles should be shortened and the radiuses should be larger, but these were tweaks I thought should have been done even back on live. All anchor toggles should be normalized to 25 feet, really. It's silly how Rad, a set with two anchor toggles, has a lower radius.